Thread: Brakes for ta22

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice rabbits's Avatar

Default Brakes for ta22

Hey everyone, I have a 18rg in my ta22 and i still wont my original brakes so i can keep my 13" steel rims and hubcaps and also it needs Engineer Certificate iv been told that they might not stop that good even with slotted disc's OR will they be ok !!!! so is there any mods i can to keep my 13" stocky wheels please help..

Iv been searching old forums to see what bolt straight on brake upgrades i can do for my ta22 if i cant find what im looking for , Can anyone tel me if Ra60 complete strut assembly bolts straight on or Ra40 & if they need to be modified ? The car is only gana be a weekenda and not driven like its stolen or thrashed

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Default Re: Brakes for ta22

Hey Rabbits,

If you're just looking for something which should satisfy an engineer. The RA23/28 struts can quite easily be fitted to the 22.

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27569

Since these car came with the 18RG in Japan these brakes should be sufficient.

If you are looking for GOOD brakes though, there are no really easy bolt in options. They all involve mixing and matching parts. Like the corona/pug/hilux upgrade, the falcon/machined spindle/bracket upgrade, the machined R33 disc/caliper bracket, the patrol/commodore option.... the list is endless mate!
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

I have two set's of GA61 fronts... Rotor/hub's & calipers... rotors are vented...
    these are smaller than the RA60/MA61's.....
    The JDM GA61 had a 13' wheel opption....
    I have no struts as still on my XX...
    But are the same type of bolting up, of the caliper, as the RA60/65's..
    I will look into type of strut needed, for this..
    I only kept these, as i thought that would be good for a TA22.....

cheers
    Project: '82, GA61 XX

does the ra23 strut assy bolt up in the ta22 I was told i can bolt up the ra60 strut assembly and i just have to shorten it.
    would the GA61 caliper, hub and disc fit on the ta22 strut assembly
    Last edited by rabbits; 06-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbits
    does the ra23 strut assy bolt up in the ta22
    I didn't put the link in my post for no reason

Ok, here's the spoonfed info from that thread...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLandwehr
    Nav, I have done the TA22/RA23 ghetto spec brake conversion a few times. RA23 struts into a TA22, all you need to change over is the actual strut top. That is the 3 studdded bit that is held onto the strut by the 19mm nut under the plastic cover. Shock inserts, springs, and spring perch's can remain unchanged.

cheers Chuck.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Talking Re: Brakes for ta22

can i get a sponge bath too Thanks
    If i overhaul the standed calipers and get slotted disc's do you think it might be enough

Nah, sponge baths cost extra. Especially on a Saturday night!

There is a fair difference between the performance of the 22 and 23 gear. The 22 brakes couldn't even stop River from doing a engine transplant in his 25!

So if you are talking standard 22 stuff, I doubt it.

If you are talking standard 23/28 stuff, then it could be enough... and that depends on what your definition of "enough" is?

Remember that slotting the discs does not increase your pad contact area or your disc diameter. You'll hardly notice a difference. If anything, it will just keep the pads a little cooler.

Short of swaps, you'd find that a set of "quality" pads, a caliper and M/C overhaul, and fresh DOT 4 fluid would be the best way to improve the performance of the 23/28 system. Unfortunately for you, an engineer rarely approves anything based upon that sort of work though (as it will still deteriorate agian in time), and is more interested in the base hardware. That said, if you go the 23/28 brakes, politely inform him/her that this engine/brake combo was used in a heavier car and they shouldn't have a problem with the hardware.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Add to Timbo's suggested upgrade, a pair of RA23/28 rear cylinders from the doner car or new from a brake shop to bring a better balance front to rear.

The OEM pedal feel will change and become slightly longer and softer but will pull up well.

Cut away the stone/dust guard from the caliper bracket to give more air space around the disc. Or modify it to make a ghetto air cooling scoop like I have done before.

I agree this is one of the easiest upgrades to do for the TA-22 and was good for me to do many years of club sprints on, used with the Metal King pads.

Added bonus, you move to a stub axle and hub size that is bigger than the TA's one and is a better base for further upgrades.

Regards

Rodger

Thanks Rodger
    Iv been told St141 font brakes might fit and they are vented and i know rear discs,calipers and backing plate off the st141 bolt straight on

livin on the edge as a Grease Monkey Snyper's Avatar

so far all of the options mentioned above, the RA23, RA60 front upgrades mean you will have to run a 14" wheel minimum... and then when you talk about doing the corona discs on the back, same thing I'm pretty sure, 14" wheel minimum.

Brendon
    Daily - Prado 90series
    Work - T908 620hp Cummins ISX
    Shed - 1975 TA22 2TG

Hi Brendon,

My 28 had 13" cheviots when I bought it, so 14's aren't a requirement. Maybe some 13's might not fit, but I would be surprised.

Rodger, Very good point about the rear brakes. For the sake of a replacement slave cylinders, the bias should be spot on.

Yeah, Rabbit, once the 23 struts are in, you can do any of the conversions relevent to those struts. A simple upgrade to them is the vented discs and twin-piston sumitomo calipers from the corona.

You've just gotta work out what you want to do with your car, how long you can take your car off the road, and how much money you can spend. Then make a decision
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I tried putting 13" Cheviot Hotwires on my RA23, no go over the front brakes. Obviously some 13" wheels will fit while others won't, it would be a case of try it and see.

Perhaps JDM AE86 brakes could be the go, if you can find them? They're a ventilated rotor and they definitely fit under 13" wheels so it would be a bit of an upgrade, probably the best you'll manage given your criteria.

The Ae86 sounds like the go if i can keep the OG wheels i will investigate these option

Resto Rodder Domestic Engineer GA61XX's Avatar

Vented disc from GA61, JDM, in a 13" wheel....

But what, strut to use.... caliper has same bolt spacing as RA60... But what is the camber..???
    Project: '82, GA61 XX