Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo matching to engine

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Turbo matching to engine

This is the dilemma at the moment. In terms of the mysteries of matching a turbo to an engine, I'm not a complete expert. So I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a few pointers etc.

I currently have a 2003 Corolla Sportivo (2zzge), at the moment I'm thinking of slapping a turbo on. The thing is the turbo that I got may be a bit too small, its a CT20A off a JDM JZA80. I bought it off a member here.

So would the CT20A be a complete mis match in this case?

I'm looking at running low boost (approx 6psi) and will not be rebuilding the bottom end. If the CT20A is indeed worthless, then I'll look at getting another turbo.

Cheers

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: Turbo matching to engine

CT20 as in one of a pair? will be way too small.

try a T25, plenty of options to bolt on the flange then go from there.

how much power are you after?

EDIT:

i think the CT20 was akin to the CT26, that is one that was used on the 3SGTE etc.

i'd still say go T25 though, CT anythings are on the old side
    Last edited by roadsailing; 20-09-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

Any turbo off a 2 litre engine will probally do the job your looking for, the ct20 would be waste of time.
    From the toyota stable id say a ct26 would probally be your best bet, though itd just be getting interested at 6psi, otherwise a to4e or equivilant. While youll get a fair bit of lag With a largish turbo like this the upside is provided your running low boost the turbo is gentler on your engine due to the low compressor temperatures and will still let you rev to 8K or whatever 2z revs to without needing an external gate.

or you could just go t25
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Space is a bit of a concern with the exhaust manifold facing the firewall

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

post a pic of your engine bay, dont go down the road of using a too small turbo just because it fits!
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Will get one up tonight hopefully

I'm chasing around a 30kw boost in power, with a nice healthy mid range.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

a ct20, is designed to run on 1500cc's on a LOW compression 2j, so on 1800cc of NA HIGH compression, the turbo will spool very quickly, midrange/top end will be restricted/choaked!.....

stick with something from the 2ltr scene, as mentioned before the t25 will be better suited for you size, and parts are more widely available

blake

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Let at least refer to the CT20 that most are talking about above as a CT20A...

The CT20B (comes from an ST205) would be perfect for what you're wanting IMO, and is a better turbo than the CT26 (both single and twin entry CT26s) and CT20A...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

a 2z is about 135kw from the factory, so if you want another 30kw then youll want a turbo happiest pushing about 165kva. just look at two litre turbo engines around that mark(most of em) and any of the turbo's from those motors wiull do the trick
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

I think JP tried this on MAP81's S'tivo with a TD04L and could not get enough room to do it tconfidetly and reliably. Thread on twincam.info
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

If youve got your heart set on adding a turbo then by all means go for it. But for only an extra 30kw i cannot see the costs in adding a turbo being reasonable especially when you could slap an exhaust on and get an aftermarket computer for not only less dollars but also return the same power figure. IMO adding a turbo for such little gains is not worth it especially when looking at other possibilities.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy
    If youve got your heart set on adding a turbo then by all means go for it. But for only an extra 30kw i cannot see the costs in adding a turbo being reasonable especially when you could slap an exhaust on and get an aftermarket computer for not only less dollars but also return the same power figure. IMO adding a turbo for such little gains is not worth it especially when looking at other possibilities.
    You wouldn’t get an extra 30kw with only an exhaust. And why would you fit an aftermarket computer to such a new car when a quality interceptor can achieve the same end results for less money and allow you to retain all the effort the Toyota engineers put into the tuning?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

I best clarify what I'm doing right now I suppose.....
    With regards to the 2zzge it produces 141kw at the fly.

Current mods that I have with regards to producing power is.
    Cold air intake
    Apexi Power FC

Also have tein coilovers and a whiteline rear sway and front strut.

Doing brake upgrades right now as well, custom adaptors etc...

If I port and coat the headers then I can get about 10kw at the wheels produced between 3000-5000rpm and prolly 1kw extra right at the top.

Add stage 2 cams, and then I'll be looking at new valve springs and possibly some headwork to get them to work up to 9000rpm.

stage 2 cams, head work and valve springs would be about 3k installed.

But most of this extra power will be produced at mid to top end of the rpm range.

I want more power down in the rev range. I've considered purchasing a Greddy S/C kit (celica $4600), but that would require a custom radiator ($800??), new belt, disconnection of the A/C lines (haven't really worked out how to fix that problem yet). A blitz S/C kit would get around about $7500 delivered.

So for $7500, I think I could get a decent custom job setup while learning at the same time. Its something that I'll be doing overtime, so money is not really a restraint at this stage. Money spent over time seems less shocking

Now before anyone tells me to sell my car and get something else, I will not be doing that....since when are cars a good investment anyway.

To obtain a 30kw gain at the wheels would mean my engine would have to push around 140kw at the wheels.......from a n/a 1.8L.....

Cheers

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

if you want to build a quick streeter and want instant response id go for a 270hp roller and be done with it.
    you would need a fair amount of extras ie
    injectors
    fuelpump
    intercooler+piping
    and a decent exhaust to finish it all off

the result you would get out of it would be up to the tuner but id figure around 160kwatw would be easy to do but you would need to keep the boost around 10psi as im not sure on the chamber design or C/R of these things.

to do it all properly i think it will get close to $7500

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

I know it all depends on the tune but with a static CR of 11.5:1 I'm not keen to bring it past 8psi to be honest. All the guys over on the US have been running 8psi from there kits no problems, unfortunately their kits don't work on the Oz corolla.

I still need
    Intercooler + Pipes
    Custom manifold and dump pipe
    Injectors (might try to see if the 1jz or 2jz ones would fit or not)
    and as it stands right now, another turbo.

The S/C kits that are available push around 150kw atw with no IC mind you. With IC then you up the boost to 8psi and you have around 165kw atw. So taking that into account, 6psi from a turbo should be more efficient.