Thread: RA23 Struts in a TA22

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice ThaNav's Avatar

Default RA23 Struts in a TA22

Hi all, i'm wanting to go with therealroadrunner's brake upgrade for the TA22 but i'd need RA23 struts, does anyone know what mods i'd need done to convert my TA22 to use RA23 struts so that i could use this brake upgrade.

Thanks

Nav

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

Default Re: RA23 Struts in a TA22

Nav,
    You will probly just need to use TA22 strut tops aslong as the lenght suits the shocks and the car, you will be fine

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

merc, do you know if the spring perch is the same size? and height?

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

dont think so, but you can use a RA23 upper spring perch and use RA23 springs or get springs wound to a TA22 top and RA23 bottom

If i just told that to the mechanic he would know what i'm talking about. i wouldn't have the slightest clue how to do whatever you just said so i wont be doing it myself. Unless someone can make one up for me? Any help would be great, thanks

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Nav, I have done the TA22/RA23 ghetto spec brake conversion a few times. RA23 struts into a TA22, all you need to change over is the actual strut top. That is the 3 studdded bit that is held onto the strut by the 19mm nut under the plastic cover. Shock inserts, springs, and spring perch's can remain unchanged.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Something to keep in mind when you do this, the RA2# had a heavier engine and a longer(hence heavier) front end then the TA2# series so consequenty the shocks and springs will be stiffer then the 2#. I have also done this conversion myself and the first thing my mates noticed was not my bigger disks peeping through my mags . The first thing everyone noticed was how my little TA22 had a constant perpetual launch look about it. I mean it was bad. My mate crashed that 22 .

Naturally I bought another one . . . straight away, literally a week later cause it was christmas time ha ha. So I of course did this conversion again. This time however I changed over the springs as well as the top mounting plate until the springs settled themselves there was a few crunch/sqeeking noises but its all good now. It only occurs on full lock over a bump e.g a gutter or pothole etc. Keeping the spring still left the car slightly jacked maybe 2 - 4 cm above what it should be. So I decided to counter it with lowered front springs. Yet to put them in so not sure how well it works.

This set up will probably end up around $200 - $300 depending on your contacts I guess and what you have lying around. If you don't mind your car being slightly higher at the front it's probably only be around $100 bucks for your struts after you've done the converts try selling your old struts back to the wrecking yard. DO NOT assemble them back together and claim they are 22 struts. the next poor bugger to purchase a pair may just get your hybrids and then you get unhappy people.

How much different is the RA23/28 brake/struts setup different from the *A6* ones? Setsuna is selling his brakes from his TA63 and if i can use it for my TA22 easily that i'll most likely get it but i dont have any idea on how to or expensive this conversion would cost. Any ideas anyone?

(If I'm incorrect please don't hesitate to put me straight) Mate the 6# series is vastly different to the 2# series in both front and rear brake setup and mounting points. the Ta63 is noticably different they should be supporting vented disks not to mention bigger pads and calipers. The stopping power will of course be hugely different too. the reason for this is the 6# series is a heavier car. More weight you have the greater stopping power you need. As far as modification I would say it could get a little expensive as your going to have to start looking into a bit of fabrication. Not to mention this is not a home job if you aren't experienced in the art. with the amount of money it would cost a better brake upgrade could be acheived. The other thing you have to look at is boosting power. Your little Ta brake booster is not going to support hugely oversized brakes. As it is it kind of struggles with the 23/28 upgrade. You can fix this spongy feeling by boring your brake booster. This doesn't cost all that much and any machine shop will probably do it. I would say depending on your engine to stay with the simple 23/28 upgrade it's cheap effective and has stages to which you can stop and still get a better braking result. Check out my thread on it for a step by step guide k mate hope that helps. "Strut and brake conversion for TA from RA"

i have upgraded my brake booster, a 1" diameter one i think. They guys that did it said it was off a pajero or landcruiser cant remember which exactly

awesome well the ra strut upgrade should work fantastically for you then. I've yet to upgrade my booster what modifications needed to be done to yours to achieve the 1" diameter.