Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking Best Fuel Pump..!

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Picking Best Fuel Pump..!

Okay, well I've done a search and there are a few threads on fuel pumps...
    So i was kinda hoping that we could kinda start a thread that has enough info for ppl to refer to when trying to pick a fuel pump...

So I'm looking at bosch and walbro pumps with malpassi fuel regs... Reason malpassi fuel reg, cause i have a mate with one available!

The pumps in question are a bosch 500hp and walbro 500hp, both internal. What i dunno, is which is better? Or usually better?
    Why?
    Are there any other pump choices which are affordable out there worth looking at?
    Are either or any others more suited to turbo cars?

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Picking Best Fuel Pump..!

many people say Malpassi is not very good..
    perhaps research thatbefore pumps?

pumps don't flow hp.. they flow fuel
    what i mean is, at different pressures, different pumps flow different amounts.
    there is a "high pressure" walbro that doesn't fall off in flow until a bit higher pressure, and then there is a bosch one that does even higher pressures..

if it is for NA, then maybe that is not a concern, but for turbo, it all depends on the pressure required (ie, 40psi+boost)...
    on that note...rising rate regs are bad for turbo.. very bad...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Walbro's are a good thing and they're pretty cheap. Check out the flow rates for the max fuel pressure you'll be running (taking boost into account), and if the Walbro is up to the task I'd go with that. Otherwise look at the Bosch, it flows more at higher pressures as mentioned above.

I've also heard bad things about Malpassi reg's from several people who owned them and later got rid of them because they were shit (random fuel pressure). I'm going to use a Sard reg for my 2JZ, they're apparently very good and aren't too spendy.

Okay, sweet. Well ill scrap the fuel reg. My mate had one so i thought if its cheap dn better than standard....

So even though they are rated at 500hp etc, doesnt mean they will neccessarily handle that? So a turbo will obviously require more pressure with more flow? So that means the bosch is more suited as it wont drop off with flow as the pressure gets higher?

I want to run an internal settup so i can avoid the smell of fuel in the cabin, so i need high pressure without any kinda of lift pump?

This is for a 1g, i have to upgrade the standard pump, ive got a standard vl turbo pump, but am told its not internal by one person, and is external by another. Ill have to get part no's and check myself. This one is rated at 350hp, but again i spsoe i better find out flow rates before i assume that will be enough or not...?

If i upgrade the pump, should i upgrade the standard fuel reg? Or will the 1ggte one suffice for that kinda pressure?

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Might be worth thinking if your gunna even need a pump of such calibre.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

As said, check the actual flow rates instead of making guesses, graphs are available online for the Walbro and the Bosch pumps. For a stock or mildly modified 1G a Walbro should be more than sufficient though; I'm running over 320rwhp with mine.

Both Walbro and Bosch make in-tank versions of their pumps. The VL turbo uses an in-tank lift pump (low pressure) and an external high-pressure pump.

Standard fuel reg is fine until you're making huge power. You haven't told us anything about your engine or future plans though so it's pretty hard to give you any real advice.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

once the pumps get to around 60psi (from memory) that is where they start to have issues.. but still the higher the pressure, the lower the flow (even in their good range)
    as Norbie said, the graphs are all online in a few places...

if you plan 30psi, then you might wanna look at the pumps more carefull as to when they drop off.
    there is a normal and a high pressure version of the walbro..
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Well its a ra23, and will be running a standard 1g for now, so i need a fuel pump. And ive got a vl turbro pump, came with my other car.

But was worried if i needed a regulator or if standard will cope. Than my mate has a bosch rated at 500hp and is getting rid of it cheap, and i thought if i can get it, and its worth it for me, i will.. But i dont think im gonna bother.

But no reason ppl cant still add helpful info into this thread. It has become quite resourceful already!

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

Standard 1G will be fine with a VL pump. And obviously the standard reg works with a standard engine. Bosch pump would be noisy overkill for your application.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

well if he puts the pump in the tank neither of them will be overly noisy.
    most ppl only put regs on for a couple of reasons,
    1 stock injectors are out of flow so an adjustable reg is a cheap upgrade for another 10% flow at max.
    2 the standard reg cant cope and starts fluctuating the pressure.
    3 the standard reg is broken.

i always use big bosch fuelpumps in my customers cars and run the bioggest they can afford that way you only need to do it once (and have plenty of headroom to get more power later) but thats just me.

in a 28 what are you going to do for proper baffling in the tank? what are your intensions for the vehicle?

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

theres 2 million different soughts of pumps, a few mates run the 910 so ive decided to as well, for starters to run the engine in and ill buy another one to run out of the dual surge tank...if it needs it when the boost is wound right up

I have a walbro intank at the moment and the weight difference is massive why is this, the bosch is like 3 times the weight of the walbro?
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Roadrunnner,

I have a mate who is a metal fabricator. He does some good neat work too, is gonna make me up a plenum and manifold when he has finished his own.
    I was gonna get him to put some kind of baffling into the tank, but i have no idea how im going to design this baffling. Was gonna try a few different ideas and just wing it. Maybe talk to an engineer...

You have any ideas? I want to avoid surge tanks unless i can find a place under the car i can fit one... But i dont like that idea unless its behind a diff or right up high where i can be sure it wont scrape anything...
    I hate, more than anything, ppl that go so slow they roll backwards over speed bumps and pot holes.
    This car needs to be a Australian Street car, ie, cope with aussie roads and conditions (also jason conditions )

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

check out ta022's surge. no fuel smell, engineered nochance of hitting anything as its well protected and you cant even see it with the stock covers in. its all good.

or see if you can get the baffles out of an s13 and weld them in the stock tank. they should be able to be modded to suit. or maybe a corona efi tank modded.

cheers
    linden
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

I got a 23, so Naths set up is outa the question, although i did like your work!
    If i do go external surge, ill be coming to see you

But you say s13, i might look more into this as they are easy to come by (drifting gone wrong for 17yr olds)
    Even if i can use that as a design idea and go from there?! Ive never heard of them being starved cause fuel goes somewhere else in the tank... Very unlike commonwhorebagsp00boxesofsinshouldbeburntodores...

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023

they do starve but the tank is long and shallow and they only do it while drifting long corners with less than a 1/6 of a tank so it could work well.

im doing an under car surge for a 23 atm so ill get some pics up when its done.

cheers
    linden