Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: negative camber roll centre adjusters - now talking scrub radius also

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Default negative camber roll centre adjusters - now talking scrub radius also

negative camber rcas as i understand it basically have two sets of bolts, one on the inboard side which secures the adjuster to the steering arm, and one on the outboard side which secures the adjuster to the bottom of the strut.

this presents a potential problem now that suspension bump forces exert a shear load on those bolts, where previously the only load on the bolts was axial load (compression/tension).

problem or no problem? discuss
    Last edited by SeptemberSquall; 16-09-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: negative camber roll centre adjusters

depending on scrub radius, the load wasn't only axial previously.
    NCRCA will in crease scrub radius no?

the load only goes up strut and reaction force is from spring etc..

the LCA just keeps bottom of strut in place from side/front/rear loading of tire as you turn and stop....

scrub radius change is more of an issue?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Decent quality RCA's will have proper locators to address this sort of issue.

The T3 ones for example are better located than the factory steering arm/strut setup. Standard setup generally just run locator pins in the bolt holes.

Callum

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    depending on scrub radius, the load wasn't only axial previously.
    NCRCA will in crease scrub radius no?

the load only goes up strut and reaction force is from spring etc..

the LCA just keeps bottom of strut in place from side/front/rear loading of tire as you turn and stop....

scrub radius change is more of an issue?
    head hurts
    scrub radius is still not clear to me
    back to phun again but don't think he covers it

Quote Originally Posted by SeptemberSquall
    head hurts
    scrub radius is still not clear to me
    back to phun again but don't think he covers it
    ok much better handle on it now

basically a car with negative scrub radius is prone to self-centre under braking and acceleration, reducing torque steer and improving joe-bloggs-friendliness

a car with positive scrub radius will be more prone to tramline and seem more toey to drive, as for with significant toe out

in general is there a downside to increasing the scrub radius a moderate amount?

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

ok much better handle on it now

basically a car with negative scrub radius is prone to self-centre under braking and acceleration, reducing torque steer and improving joe-bloggs-friendliness

a car with positive scrub radius will be more prone to tramline and seem more toey to drive, as for with significant toe out

in general is there a downside to increasing the scrub radius a moderate amount?

You're quite right - a touch of negatice scrub is a good thing and makes the steering dynamically stable. Positive scrub makes the car wander around over single-wheel bumps and so on.
    Karts use a heap of positive scrub but they also use very different geometry to road cars.

It's also a reason why I really don't like those camber adjusters, and also wheels with a heap of offset. Both are not very good.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla
    You're quite right - a touch of negatice scrub is a good thing and makes the steering dynamically stable. Positive scrub makes the car wander around over single-wheel bumps and so on.
    Karts use a heap of positive scrub but they also use very different geometry to road cars.

It's also a reason why I really don't like those camber adjusters, and also wheels with a heap of offset. Both are not very good.
    i'd have thought that in a mac strut suspension, setting the base of the strut +15mm approx outboard would change the scrub radius towards the negative, rather than towards the positive (presuming sai is inclined towards the centre of the car from the point of intersection with the ground (is this positive or negative sai?))

see paint masterpiece

i'd have thought that in a mac strut suspension, setting the base of the strut +15mm approx outboard would change the scrub radius towards the negative, rather than towards the positive (presuming sai is inclined towards the centre of the car from the point of intersection with the ground (is this positive or negative sai?))

see paint masterpiece

Nah waaay positive.
    Nasty.
    www.billzilla.org

Default Re: negative camber roll centre adjusters - now talking scrub radius also

but isn't negative scrub radius achieved when the sai intersects the ground outside the centreline of the tyre's contact patch?

and increasing the steering axis angle of inclination is going to move that point outboard more?

Default Re: negative camber roll centre adjusters - now talking scrub radius also

In your diagram, point B is a little negative scrub, point A is lots of positive scrub.

The camber RCA thingy move the strut outwards from the ball joint, thus increasing positive scrub.
    www.billzilla.org

ok thx
    i had my negative and positive back to front
    makes sense your way now that i think about it some more

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

postive scrub could also make steering more heavy etc.. more fighting with wheel...

i'm glad my cars steering is not like the kart i was driving yesterday.. arms are still sore
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Interesting. This is a concern i have had myself with the offset RCAs. Has anyone used the T3 ones?

Could you combat this by using more negative offset on the wheels being used? Eg nissan silvia (-40 i belive) wheels on a TA22 (-25 from memory)?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

Yes you could but then you run into issues with the wheel hitting the strut which is annoying.

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turdinator
    Could you combat this by using more negative offset on the wheels being used? Eg nissan silvia (-40 i belive) wheels on a TA22 (-25 from memory)?
    Don't you mean an offset of +40 on the Silvia and +25 on the TA22?
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...