Thread: SDMA Hillclimb - Sat 1st Sept

Wannabe Racer Grease Monkey Toddski's Avatar

Default SDMA Hillclimb - Sat 1st Sept

Hi All,

The SDMA Hillclimb is on again this Saturday (not the usual Sunday). Any of the Toymods crowd going? I'll be there again in the White AE82 Twin Cam - haven't had the time to fit new tyres or any changes so I'll just have to try and improve my driving... Eeeek.

Racing gets underway about 9:30am and goes through to around 3 - 4:00pm.

Spectators are most welcome - costs nothing but your time.

Further info at http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/

Cheers,
    Todd

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Default Re: SDMA Hillclimb - Sat 1st Sept

Might head over if I'm not in Sydney picking up a 4wd setup for the starlet..

went a few months ago and watched an RX-7 and a lotus get the times of the day and met a dude from QBN with a turbo charade.

Decent Sausage sizzle too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

hmmms i might come and have a look seeing as i will be in the area.....depends on what time i get away from cooma i guess
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic alwaysRA23's Avatar

how much does it cost? first time runner??

Spectators are free but costs $70 to enter (an extra $20 if you don't get your entry in by 8pm tomorrow) - but you will need to have a CAMS licence, at least a Level 2 Speed which is $88.

You can enter on the day, but you need to be there well before 8am cutoff.

Your car just needs to be roadworthy, blue triangle to mark were the battery is and a solidly mounted fire extinguisher (with metal not plastic holder) within reach of driver.

If unsure of process when you get there, just ask someone - really helpful friendly bunch.

Details on the SDMA site: http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/

Built and Driven Backyard Mechanic beauy's Avatar

so how did u go???

Hmmmm....

Figured the night before I'd up the rear sway bar from middle to full hard, and try a little more tyre pressure. Far to tailout and times were bad, about a second down. Played with tyres pressures and still felt car was too tailout. So for 3rd run dropped them further. Entered the track and car was all over the place. Thought I must have let too much out and tyrewall was rolling over - or that something was loose. Completed the run but the car felt weird - no bloody wonder... Some idiot had left the handbrake on... Shame it was me. Anyway, no damage done other than bad time and completely eliminating my credibility (for something unusual).

Tried one more run with swaybar set hard and times were still down - mate was beating me and I wasn't having that. So for last run set it all back to what I was used too and pulled out a 56.02 - oh so close to 55.xx and .01 sec outside my previous PB of 56.01. But it was enough to see off my mate and give me another months bragging rights - only slightly moderated due to the ribbing I'll be getting about the handbrake.

So now it is time for tyres & some -ve camber.

Was a great day to be out as well, weather was fantastic and lots of good cars to watch.

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

haha leaving the hand brake on, at least there was no understeer!

shame i couldn't get out there, got up too late to spare the time to have a look
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic YGT04A's Avatar

what do need to do to enter in one of these days?

You need to join SDMA: http://www.sdmahillclimb.com/. If you are already a member of a CAMS affiliated club you can get a day membership.

You'll need a CAMS licence, minimum Level 2 Speed. Just fill in the forms and pay your money. http://www.cams.com.au/Content.asp?PageID=PaperForms

Just a note here - if you're with Shannons Insurance, you get a discount on your insurance if you have a CAMS licence. My discount pays for my yearly CAMS licence, but I have a few cars insured. NFI - just a happy customer.

To quote the SDMA website, the rest is:
    "have a crash helmet that meets Australian Standard AS1698, have a minimum 900 gram fire extinguisher less than 3 years old, wear natural fibre clothing from ankle to neck to wrist and drive a vehicle which is presented to the scrutineers in a condition which is safe to drive." Oh, and make sure you get a fire extinguisher that has a metal bracket and is CAMS compliant - got mine at Bunnings.

Note you will also need a blue triangle to indicate where the battery is. Can't remember the cutoff date, but older vehicles with bonnets that hinge at the rear will need a secondary restraint.

The main thing is really to check your car is roadworthy. No play in the steering, no loose wheel bearings, no bad oil leaks (if your car seeps oil like mine does just clean it up - but if it is going to leave and oil patch on the scrutineering bay floor you'd best get it fixed), wheel nuts are tight, seat belts aren't frayed and your seat isn't flopping about (older cars get some allowance for age but if its unsafe they will comment).

So nothing big, probably the only thing that really costs is a helmet. I'm still belting around the track in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and regular shoes in my el cheapo car and having loads of fun. Come out and give it a try, you won't regret it (well, your wallet might when you get the bug and start upgrading but you got to spend your money on something).
    Last edited by Toddski; 04-09-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Extra info on fire extinguisher

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic YGT04A's Avatar

cool so about $170 for the first day plus helmet and fuel

You can get a TTH helmet from Revo at fyshwick for about $90-$100 bucks. Fire extinguisher that has a metal bracket and is CAMS compliant from Auto Barn, Repco, Auto Pro etc... around $30 or less if on sale at the time.As for blue triangle sticker I may have some left, if not no probs just let me know and I can arrange some at a good price.