Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POD Filter Comparisons and Experiences

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default POD Filter Comparisons and Experiences

Ive got a '93 NA MR2 with a 3SGE, I got liverpool exhaust to do my exhaust system and it sounds good, but I want to add a pod filter for just a bit of extra sexy sound, I've been doing a bit of research but its hard to find a defined comparison between the popular brands. I'm interested in sound mainly followed by the small increase in torque and power that comes with a POD. So far i see that K&N is hugely popular, but the Apexi seems to be the fave on the MR2 forum, Blitz too, but this top fuel air filter ... well i cant find alot of info on it but it looks the part, so im curious to see what your experiences are with pod filters.

check it out, sexy huh?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=019

thanks for your help in advance

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: POD Filter Comparisons and Experiences

I read an article from an old Zoom magazine where they compared heaps of different POD filters and found they all gave about an extra 3-5kws over stock (forget the car). There was like one or two stand out pod filters that gave an extra 3 or 4 more kws but i cant remember what they were. Just get whatever tickles ya fancy, there's jack all difference between them.

Edit: That ebay one is heck expensive just for some carbon fiber (if its real) bling. When i was pricing up some K&N filters, i could get custom dimensions for about $140. Ended up buying a cheap Blitz Arinx off eBay for $50, bargain!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

From my experience, the apexi roars while the k&n screams.

Most comparisons show that the apexi has good filtering efficiency while delivering more power.....but honestly.......1.5kw at the wheels is not exactly what I would call a significant difference.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    I read an article from an old Zoom magazine where they compared heaps of different POD filters and found they all gave about an extra 3-5kws over stock (forget the car). There was like one or two stand out pod filters that gave an extra 3 or 4 more kws but i cant remember what they were.!
    That comparison test was in ZOOM #104, published in 2006. You can download the article in PDF format here.

ZOOM magazine cover:

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

best were the Drift Urethane and the Apexi Power Intake. What this test did not take into account was filtration though.

The tests were performed on their project Cyborg FWD draw car.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

That ebay thing looks the goods, combine it with a hyclone for the full effect, great for a non-aspiration engine

whats a hyclone im a noob thanks for the feedback + reading material, also i like the scream vs roar, thats good to know and i came home to a speeding fine..... new camera at Beverly hills so i guess thats 3 months without sexing the road with my car that also means i'll miss the toymods mega cruise...unless i postpone the suspension

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I bought the larger 4" Drift Urethane pod based on that article.
    Does the job well was cheap enough.

Gorilla Industries Conversion King Koffee-Black's Avatar

in a past autosalon magazine, they tested a whole heap, in terms of filtration, performance. Great article, forgot the number but a low name brand came up on top. The jap ones surprisingly were no good.
    JZA80 Turbo Time Attack Car - "Gorilla"
    JZA80 Turbo Street Car - "Silver Back"
    Lexus RX350 F Sport "Kid Hauler"
    Vitz - Supercharged "Chimp"
    HDJ80 Landcruiser "Baboon"

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

i read a good pod filter review doobie in a auto shop when i was last in perth, the best filtration filter tested was a k&n rr-3001/2/3 (different last number denotes colour) filter but was the 2nd best in flow. the best in flow was a cheap 39 quid filter and amazingly was the 2nd in filtration (cant remember the brand).

i opted for the k&n filter.
    http://www.4filters.com/Reverse-Coni..._p_3-3299.html

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee-Black
    in a past autosalon magazine, they tested a whole heap, in terms of filtration, performance. Great article, forgot the number but a low name brand came up on top. The jap ones surprisingly were no good.
    That comparo was like a Top 10 shootout of pod filters. It was in Issue #51.

You can download the article here. Hope this helps in your decision.

BTW, the cheap as 3A Racing filter won the shootout.

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee-Black
    they use a K+N on there drift car as it was the best for filtration.

cheers
    linden

I don't really care too much for the carbon look seeing as my engine is stock looking but they reckon the CF tube on that Top Fuel pod is designed inside to build up the pressure etc etc, true or false you reckon? I wish i could read a review on it Unfortunately I've always been one to ignore the el cheapo and head straight for the most expensive, even if it takes me longer to get it and the el cheapo is supposed to be better. Doing some research, the top fuel one is designed for honda and toyota only, they are a reputable brand, true JDM stuff. Maybe I'll take one for the team and find out for myself what they're like.

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

I my Personal opinion just go the cheap arse pod. They should flow well due their dodgy filtration and its not like air born particles are the major cause of wear in modded engines, more like the constant high revs/temps.
    Id say on a every day high milage car go with the expensive filter cause you may see some benefit from it, especially if you only want to rebuild the engine every million klicks, but paradoxically not on a modded performance car cause the bearings will go before the bores anywayz
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Please ignore the above advice if you don't plan on munching engines every few months. Those of us who have modified engines which have been running for quite a while (5 years in my case) prefer to have good filtration.