Thread: Hilux v6 conversion help needed

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Hilux v6 conversion help needed

Hi guys

Im putting a VP V6 into my 1990 2wd hilux. the motor is bolted to the toyota 5speed via dellows bellhousing. My first hurdle is using the original gearbox mounting position, the throttle body is hard up against the firewall (this is with the original sump off and the motor lowered as far as possible to still allow a custom sump).

I would like some thoughts as to my options. I was thinking of either using a spacer on the gearbox mount to bring everything forward an inch or so but that leaves me having to get my tailshaft modded. option 2 is mod the firewall in the area concerned but i think that i will create more problems with the peddle box that is right behind that area.

any thoughts or other ideas would be great.

btw excuse the poor choice in engine conversion. had the v6 there and the old 22r shat itself and have financial considerations.
    Last edited by lowlux69; 31-08-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

Default Re: Hilux v6 conversion help needed

Id be talkign to Dellows re: this problem. I thought that their bellhousings were designed to allow the engine to bolt in without a custom tailshaft.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNasty
    Id be talkign to Dellows re: this problem. I thought that their bellhousings were designed to allow the engine to bolt in without a custom tailshaft.
    thanks for the feedback mate. i got with my dellows kit with a 1/2 arsed "how to" sheet and it said that the top of the motor will hit the firewall with the original sump. without the sump on and the motor lowered there is still #@%$all clearance. i have just discovered though that my ute was originally an auto and had been converted to a manual at some stage. i wonder if this has anything to do with it in regards to the gearbox position. Does anyone know if there are different tailshaft lengths for autos and manuals?

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

its not a big deal to mod a tailshaft at the end of the day, nice and cheap in the world of modified cars, if anything id guess that the auto tailshaft would be shorter, i know that the auto and manual gearbox mounts are different, but the x member is in the same position.

if you move the gearbox mount foward, then you need to modify the engine mounts also, depends on how you want the engine bay to look, give the firewall a love tap if your not to concerned.

Where does it sit with the sump on etc?

What engine mounts did you use, castlemaine rod shop ones would be the go if you havnt used them, it would sit in the correct position with the originial sump one would think, this conversion has been done a million times, surely someone on here has it done or knows of someone who has, who can shine some light on the situation.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Thanks for the insight BeRad
    I know that the hilux was auto and converted to manual before i got it. so if the manual conversion has kept the auto tailshaft (if possible) and shorter gearbox position then that may be where my problems arise.

Anyway what has progressed from then is i have cut a section out of the firewall that was the problem (right where the heater box hoses come out) and am in the middle of cutting those pipes short then joining them to come out in a new location on the firewall and welding a recessed section back into the firewall that will give me about 1 1/2 inch that i need.

part of the reason why the throttle body was hitting into the firewall was because with the gearbox mounted up to the existing position, the end of the dellows bell housing (motor side) was hitting right on the sway bar so lifting the motor and gearbox higher caused the intake to pivot into the firewall. This could all be caused by that original hilux auto / manual gearbox position difference.

as for mounts and sump i am making my own because i came into these problems.

so maybe just getting a manual hilux tailshaft (if they are longer than the autos) might get me the length that i need and would have to be alot cheaper than a modified one. thanks again mate

anymore insight is greatly welcome

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

just get a single piece tailshaft and remove the shrouding where the shaft goes under the back of the cab - if its the same as the yn57. I put the commodore auto in...and my old shaft was in dire straits, and a new single piece with big ass unis cost me about half what a two piece would've. (you'd probly found being a commercial with lots of ks id imagine, that your tailshaft is rooted too)

and the pinion angle is fine, i have had an extra 2ton on my car in he way of a car and trailer and it was fine. My ute is a heavy haul with tool box at about 1800oddkg.

these motors are good for utes, as the torque off the line is enormous. and they are reliable..and cheap/ easy to fix.
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

i also had the problem of it being tight on the firewall, and theres nothing you can do about it. being a 90 series your heater valve should be fine with a couple of diy hoses...yn57s need modding. the reason for the custom sump is the relay rod which is right in the way when lowering the motor. What i did was remove 75mm from the back of the sump and bought another sump and cut 75mm off the front of it, and welded it onto my sump.... sealed up and then thats your sump...
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

thanks for the info Robbos Toyotas
    the problem wasn't so much with the heater valve itself but the actual heater pipes. both of them came out of the firewall and each hit parts of the throttle body set up. there wasn't enough length to do anything with the pipes so i cut that section out on in the firewall and have cut and rerouted the pipes and put in a new section of firewall that is recessed instead of the original which gives me a little extra clearance.

I now know exactly where i want my motor to sit so know have to make up the engine mounts. i ended up making an extension mount to bring the gearbox forward. handn't thought of the single tailshaft all the way through. sounds good but i'm abit confused with the bit that you said "remove the shrouding where the shaft goes under the back of the cab" do you mean the centre bearing assembly?

as soon as i get everything bolted up i am going to tackle the sump. can you pm so pics of what you did for the sump if that is ok. also did you use the existing v6 engine mounts with adaptors?
    thanks mate

yeah i mean the thing around the centre bearing - theres like a shroud that tapers down the tunnell - add me to msn and ill show you pics of the lot. I used v12 jaguar isolators on custom 2 piece brackets...my motor has aircon - this makes a difference.

Blake

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

i got a 2000 hilux its got a 1rz-e in it im thinkin bout a conversion or somethin to make some more horsepower maybe a turbo or something anyone got some insight for me?