Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22r engine mods????

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

Default Re: 22r engine mods????

River's right on the money with every point. You said that this was a temporary thing which I take it you will be buying a turboed car or doing a turboed engine conversion when you get off your P's, so I wouldn't waste your money doing a conversion now. It wouldn't hurt though to upgrade the diff to a 4 pinion open or LSD. For $2000 to $3000 you could do a little bit to the 22R, upgrade your diff convert your rear drums to discs and you may even still have a bit of money left over for some body mods like chrome bumper and grill and 4WD front fenders. You should also consider if you can take the Lux off the road to work on it or whether your restricted to just working on the weekends.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

im a hardcore Backyard Mechanic LO01UX's Avatar

yea i was thinking of doing a 3rzfe conversion sumtime next year and thought why not do a conversion now.

as i am still at skool the car is not really a neccessity as i get free public transport

1jz-lux i already have the 4wd fenders and chrome bumber

would a 3rzfe be a good conversion?? seeing as it is a hilux engine , EFI, 2.7L etc
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

It'd be a great conversion and seeing the car can come off the road now's the perfect time to do it. The only problem I can see is you'd need a bit more then $3000 to do it. There'll be the cost of the engine which will need to come with a complete harness, computer and all its ancillaries (A/C, power steering pump, alternator, manifolds, piping), you'll need to buy an EFI fuel pump and lift pump, exhaust, engine mounts and either the gearbox that's in the car the engine comes from (gen 4 Hilux) or a bellhousing to go from the 3RZ-FE to the gearbox in the gen 3 Hilux.
    A lot of this you can source from wreckers for pretty cheap or make yourself but a complete 3RZ-FE in good condition wouldn't be cheap I'd imagine.
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

im a hardcore Backyard Mechanic LO01UX's Avatar

yea im looking around at wreckers and even if i have to get the head out of one hilux n the bottom end from another thats wot im prepared to do. im studying an apprenticeship (once i finish skool in 6 weeks ) and my dad is a licenced mechanice so alot of the mechanical work can be done by ourselves. and i have mates that doing welding and stuff if i need bits and peices custom made.
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

****** 1st year Apprentice

The trick to making the 22r engines make power getting them to breath ( ie head work ). Have a gander at this link. Heaps of great info http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...tech_notes.htm

I was planning on making a Na 22r race engine but have since sold that car. During that time i managed to find a 20R head which i was keeping just incase i head back down that road. If your interested in going the full shebang on your 22r then let me know (Pm me is best). I'll sell you the 20R head.

Hope that link helps

Cheers
    Mike,