Thread: 1GFE GZ20 soarer

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1GFE GZ20 soarer

Hi all,

I have just bought a 1989 GZ20 Soarer its got a 1GFE in it, I have always been a fan of the Z20 soarer's, I have been looking through this forum for a while and I see its pretty common putting in a 1JZ, I'm looking at doing a engine conversion as the 1GFE just needs to go by the way this is my first post.

I have read roughly through a few threads of which the conversion has been done but not all of them as there is a few with many pages, so I got a few questions.

- I think I have read that the 1JZ will sit straight in the MZ20 crossmember without much trouble, would this be the same with the GZ20 crossmember.

- I know the JZA70 supra halfcut is usually used to source the 1JZ, is there any other toyota that I could use to do the conversion, I also want to to do a manual conversion.

thats it for now but I got a question about the auto, I want to do a service on it, I tried to source a auto kit from repco but they had non listed for my car, I'm guessing that the auto behind the 1GFE would be the same as a 1GGTE auto, where could I source a auto kit.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Hengsta's Avatar

Default Re: 1GFE GZ20 soarer

Alot better buying a JZA70 manual half cut mate.
    -Sleeper 2J + R154 X83
    -GQ 93 Mav, 4.2 Diesel, 35" BFG KM2's, 4" lift, 3" Exhaust, Front Locked, Rear shimmed, Sliders, IPF foggies, UHF, 2871R and Intercooled.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

use the jza70 halfcut that way you have everything needed for the conversion apart from the fuelpump and exhaust.
    cheers
    linden

Yeah was planning on searching for a JZA70, I was told that they are getting hard to find now, also with servicing the auto I tried searching for it, can't find any information, does anyone have a part number for the auto kit.

I also might as well ask this, has anyone put a 1UZ-FE in a z20 soarer.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by bigpitty1
    Yeah was planning on searching for a JZA70, I was told that they are getting hard to find now, also with servicing the auto I tried searching for it, can't find any information, does anyone have a part number for the auto kit.
    for a jza70 cut call sss automotive in girraween nsw they have 6 coming over in man form.

the 1ggte auto is an a340 so check your compliance plate to see what yours is.
    if its a340 get one for an mx83 as they should be the same.

cheers
    linden

I'll try that, thanks

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

just to re-iterate...the easiest way to do it is with a JZA70 halfcut....cheapest too...there are guys in perth getting 1J convos into soarers done in under a weekend!
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

.......excluding me of course

yeah as everyones saying... JZA70 halfcut! take it from me, i learned the hard way that unless you have a halfcut you're going to be up shit creek without a paddle trying to find bits you need.

theres a few members rides threads (mine, coff33's, mr_1jz's old car, etc..) that have 1JZ info regarding the conversion.. so yeah feel free to ask us anything thats not in there.

basically you need the halfcut and the jza70 2 piece tailshaft. you use the front half of the supra tailshaft to bolt the yoke up to the box and the soarer rear half back to the diff. speaking of diff, check your axle code on your firewall as well, if its G254 go find another diff as well coz i tell you even though it will still run... 1J + 4.551 open centre is not fun... its downright ghey with aides. also make sure you do a refresher of the main bits before you bolt the engine up, that includes oils, fluids, timing belt, serpentine belt, fuel filter, plugs and depending how far you want to go, a few seals here and there too.

oh and you'll definitely need new mounts. all jza70 halfcuts that land here have screwed mounts. PM Ezra for a set (byteme), they cost about $200 for the pair but thats shitloads better than getting them new from toyota at $560 a pair. also theyre semi solid state urethane. i run them in mine, as does coff33 and theyre the dogs bollocks.

by the way that bit about a MX83 auto being the same, can someone verify that as im pretty sure they have different torque converters.. the one for M engines and G engines is completely different even though the box is physically the same. id be more inclined to think it was the same as a gx81 cresta/mark II/chaser
    Last edited by hamgatan; 15-08-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

yeah but your conversion not happening as planned was a direct result of your car revolting against its gheylawd owner!

dont look at my conversion for advice, i did it the hard way...I even made custom mounts...

JZA70 halfcut...swap it all over...winner
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Official Off Topic KING! Conversion King stradlater's Avatar

Since when did a 1g-fe come in a gz20?
    Facebook | LinkedIn

1976 RA23 Celica - 1UZFTE ???rwkw - Earlier: 11.6 @ 116.9mph But Now: ??
    2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe - 421kW 0-100 3.1.....
    2005 Mercedes Benz SLK 350 - 200kW...

I plan on doing the conversion myself, I'm a mechanic at the holden service department where I live so I have a whole workshop to use which should make things a bit easier, with the diff will the JZA70 fit, I want a LSD, I'm not a big fan with open centre even thou is not a problem at the moment as the 1G-FE struggle to spin the wheels even in the wet.

Also this 1G-FE is the second motor in this car, I bought it like this, I was told that the original motor overheated and the head warpped so its now got a 1G-FE so I picked up my soarer pretty cheap, body is still in pretty good condition except the paint is starting to crack on the bumpers.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

1GFE was available in nearly every car that a 1G was available, just not many people took the option.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association