Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: W58 Version Comparisons

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rodi's Avatar

Default Re: W58 Version Comparisons

I'm looking at the possibility of hydraulic pressure causing the problem, i can't see any problem with the bearings or cases of the broken box i have, as stated in earlier post there is a difference of .5L in capacity between some boxes, this box has the lay shaft totally submerged in oil, w56 come out of a hilux with a rev limiter of 5250rpm but were all trying to spin them to 7000+, what i'm going to try with the good box thats in my car is drop the oil level to half way up the lay shaft and use the lowest viscosity oil i can get, even dexron if i have to. a good freind builds formula v motors and he told me they machine a groove in their cam gears to relieve the pressure, this gives them a 5hp gain not bad for a 70hp motor

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Rodi: let us know the amount of oil you end up putting in the tranny to have it at the appropriate level and what type of oil you end up going with. I have heard good things about climbing gear oil.

Quote Originally Posted by timtiminy View Post
    Rodi: let us know the amount of oil you end up putting in the tranny to have it at the appropriate level and what type of oil you end up going with. I have heard good things about climbing gear oil.
    Hi to the US can you let us know what car you have,engine, hp,which gear your breaking, and at what revs

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Ive got a 90 toyota cressida, looking to do a w58 manual swap into it so just doing my homework on what to look out for and maybe figure out some preventative measures i should take to keep the tranny lasting especially since i will be considering the 7mgte with 300+hp in the future

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic strat's Avatar

Just had a quick read of this thread and found it qiuite interesting.
    I have been racing with W boxes for 3 years now and have had one failure which was a third gear selector fork let go. i run 220kw and 450+NM.
    As far as the steel plate W58 goes I dont think there is much in it strength wise.
    I have a question tho i recently bought a second hand W58 (i guess they are all second hand these days and thats why they fail) and it was stamped as a W58 on the compliance plate on a SA63 it was a ally plate but i noticed minimal difference in 5th gear than a 57. my question is..... is there a ezy way to tell the difference between the 58 & 57 without pulling the box appart???
    Tanks
    S.M.R
    There is a method in the madness

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    Yes the steel sandwich plate versions are obviously stronger since the gearset is supported by a steel plate instead of an alloy plate. An alloy plate is more likely to flex under heavy torque loads; flex = misaligned gearset = shredded gears.

Wilbo and I compared a late W58 with an early W58 and we found a few minor differences - some of the bearings and gears are slightly wider and the synchros are a different design - but the main difference in terms of strength is the steel plate.
    Hi...,

I had just swapped w58 box into my 3sgte st185 engine too. The seller said it's from the non turbo supra.
    Mine has an electric speedo gear, is that right ? Also please show me some pics, which part is the sandwich steel plate ??

I'm curious whether mine is the box which u're talking about. Another question; if I want to strengthen
    My box, what should I do ? Change the syncro gears ? Kindly advice. Thanks.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by rodi View Post
    Hi to the US can you let us know what car you have,engine, hp,which gear your breaking, and at what revs
    Hi..,
    I just mated w58 from a non supra turbo with an electric speedo gear sensor to a 3sgte st185 engine.
    It happens that I want to change the gearbox oil after the endryen period is over.

Before changin oil, how can I service the box before using it ?
    And which kind of oil most suitable for this gearbox and performance ?

Sorry but kindly pls explain in simple form of english due to my bad english.
    Thanks.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice moggie's Avatar

What diff ratios are people running? I know that the higher the diff ratio the more torque you will be able to put through the box, downside of higher diff ratio is top speed.
    SA63 Coupe Restoration - Finally have the motivation to finish her.

Quote Originally Posted by moggie View Post
    What diff ratios are people running? I know that the higher the diff ratio the more torque you will be able to put through the box, downside of higher diff ratio is top speed.
    Mine is 3.7

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

I run a 4.3, but for one event I will use a 4.55.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Junior Member Grease Monkey UZA61's Avatar

Hey guys. Read the thread but i just wanted to ask a specific question.

Im swapping a W58 into my JZA80 but unfortunatly here in England right now there are no JZA80 W58's ANYWHERE!

I've seen an MA70 W58 for sale.

I know its not as strong as the JZ version but as far as i can see its just the bellhousing and the alloy pressure plate that is different between the two isnt it?

I mean if i buy this MA70 box and put a JZA80 bellhousing on it then it should go straight in with the JZ prop and everything shouldnt it?

Thanks

Lee

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

yeah it will bolt up.

You will find the shifter position is in the wrong spot however because the jza80 uses the remote shifter setup.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Junior Member Grease Monkey UZA61's Avatar

Cool cool, i think i've sourced a MA70 W58. So i just need a JZA80 bellhousing and JZA80 Shifter extension.

Just to double check....the input shaft on the gearbox is the same length on all versions?

The reason i ask is i know on the R154 there are two different lengths. The 7MGTE version and then the shorter 1JZ-GTE version.

I would assume that the MK3 W58 has a longer shaft than the MK4 W58 for the same reasons as the R154 does?

Cant anyone confirm this for me?

Also are all 5 gears the same ratio?

Cheers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Azzamk2's Avatar

okay so now im stressing out my box is gunna blow once installed. how much power is reliable through these boxes im running a GA70 supra w58 and my engine will be pushing 3-400hp 1JZ.

i have heard on this forum and others that there is a bearing upgrade for these boxes, im after the intermediate bearing ( the small torrington bearing) between the input shaft and the mainshaft, i have tried toyota but to no avail, anybody know of part numbers and where to locate?????