Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1UZ into RA65 - Drift car.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ into RA65 - Drift car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    pretty sure Castlemain rod shop do a 1uz to w5x bellhousing now too.
    They have done for the past 4 years, if not more.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Thanks CrUZida on the engine info work, one question though, what is NCOP and is that valid across australia or only in certain spots.
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

The N stands for National, so when its rolled out (NFI when though), it will be Australia wide.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

basically ever aftermarket part/modification that can be applied to an ae86 can be applied to an ra60. the irs set up in the 65 is a complication though, for sure.

but then the ma61 is set up is basically identical so theres not really an issue of choosing a platform there.

a bloke in melbourne has done a 1uz in an '86. i doubt an ra6x is narrower between the rails than a sprinter.

do it it'd hook.

contemplating a 1uz conversion over say an sr20 for a ra6x based drift car suggested custom work is not something said enthusiast should be scared of.

pretty sure Castlemain rod shop do a 1uz to w5x bellhousing now too.
    I never said the front was the problem although even then it can be difficult to get locally suplpied brand new stuff even for AE86's in the front end...

the rear setup in a drift car is just as important as the front, and having little or no aftermarket support for there will leave you with a half finished vehicle...
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic nihilism's Avatar

basically ever aftermarket part/modification that can be applied to an ae86 can be applied to an ra60. the irs set up in the 65 is a complication though, for sure.
    hmm.. the main reason i'm going for the 65 over the 60 was the irs rear end.

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

there was a fellow on lextreme who was doing this swap. no idea how he went with it after the thread settled..

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2362

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic MOOKIE's Avatar

what about the s13 suspension ?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

can everyone remember the time that guy was selling the ra60 on ebay with a older 1uzfe motor in it for like $1000. but it was the one out of the old mid 80s crowns but they are essentually the same motor just not quad cam i think.
    i remember in the listing he had writen that he had it running but couldnt be assed finishing of the rest of the car lol.
    it might be still for sale on ebay try looking it up and buying it as parts for the ra65 as it would look better in that then the ra60.

cheers
    matt
    RA65/SA63 King !!!!! it was a SA63 with a 2S-C but now it has a 18RG powa House so does that make it a RA65?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by nihilism
    hmm.. the main reason i'm going for the 65 over the 60 was the irs rear end.
    really when you think about it, that may not be the wisest choice...

lets face it, the RA65's IRS leaves a lot too be desired and one of the biggest issues I have found with a drift car myself is trying to dial OUT the rear camber as too much rear camber = less rear grip, which in turn will equal less speed upon the initiation and continuation of a slide...and really speed is one of the bigger factors in aussie drift these days.

Sure the IRS rear end will have more adjustability but in the end how much do you want? and is it worth the inherent problems you will get from having and lowering an IRS rear...

with the AE86's they simply stiffen up the rear (shocks and springs) and throw in a set of those lateral rods to change the diff pinion angle and then the rear is pretty much sorted, provided all your bushes are good back there....

really the Live rear makes it a simpler project and maybe more worth doing, seeing you can copy most of what an AE86 has...

just my 2 cents
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

Quote Originally Posted by sa63-18RG
    can everyone remember the time that guy was selling the ra60 on ebay with a older 1uzfe motor in it for like $1000. but it was the one out of the old mid 80s crowns but they are essentually the same motor just not quad cam i think.
    i remember in the listing he had writen that he had it running but couldnt be assed finishing of the rest of the car lol.
    I thought that was the 3.5L Rover V8?

If not, it was the 4V or 5V-E, which are nothing at all like the 1UZ, except that its a V8 too.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I would go both ways as i was reading drift battle the other day and they had a top 10 list for best drift cars for under $2000 and the ma61 was one of them and then a couple pages later there was a pic of a ra65 1ggte sliding out sideways with what looked to be perfect camber front and back so would disagree a bit with you but then again looking at the stats of the 2 cars the ra65 does look to be more of a track car and the ra60 more of a drift car but who knows you can only tell by driving the cars first hand so im guessing by all feedback recieved and driftbattle magazine the best one to drive is the ra65 it must just be a better car to through around.

cheers
    matt
    RA65/SA63 King !!!!! it was a SA63 with a 2S-C but now it has a 18RG powa House so does that make it a RA65?!?!?!

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Any "facts" published in a magazine called Drift Battle should be taken with a grain of salt. A big grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Any "facts" published in a magazine called Drift Battle should be taken with a grain of salt. A big grain of salt.
    might wanna be careful mate...I belive one of the journalists for that magazine and its associated magazines is a consistent regular on these forums who knows his shit...
    Project Soarer II - Sold

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sa63-18RG
    I would go both ways as i was reading drift battle the other day and they had a top 10 list for best drift cars for under $2000 and the ma61 was one of them and then a couple pages later there was a pic of a ra65 1ggte sliding out sideways with what looked to be perfect camber front and back so would disagree a bit with you but then again looking at the stats of the 2 cars the ra65 does look to be more of a track car and the ra60 more of a drift car but who knows you can only tell by driving the cars first hand so im guessing by all feedback recieved and driftbattle magazine the best one to drive is the ra65 it must just be a better car to through around.

cheers
    matt
    MA61 for under 2K will be full of rust stock suspension and be powered by a 5me hardly a drift weapon. As MR 1jz stated the rear camber for lowered IRS poses a large problem. My car has quite substantial rear camber from the King Low springs.
    If in doubt power out

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

theres a "G"A65 here in brisbane, its a dedicated drift car, does very well, gets huge speeds out of it too
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back