Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error code 52 - Knock Sensor Signal.. 1JZ-GTE ....need help

Junior Member Carport Converter

Default Error code 52 - Knock Sensor Signal.. 1JZ-GTE ....need help

Howdy,

Lately I have been getting the engine light come on when I accelerate .... I did the toyota diagnostic and it is spitting out "Error 52"

The car is a JZA70 Supra.

Error 52 =

- Knock Sensor Signal - Open or Short in Knock Sensor Signal
    - Knock Sensor/Circuit

This has started to happen since I had the whole dash and ecu etc when I did the heater core replacement.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for to find the fault?.. is there some sort of knock sensor control that plugs into the ecu?... I am certain I plugged everything back in.

The car runs fine, it only tends to come on when the car is cold..If I start the car when it is already warm I don't get the engine light coming on.

Help

User Conversion King

Default Re: Error code 52 - Knock Sensor Signal.. need help

id try disconnecting the battery for a minute, then reconnecting it.

pulling some plugs out while you fixed the heater may have caused this?.

give that a go and see how it turns out

brett
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    id try disconnecting the battery for a minute, then reconnecting it.

pulling some plugs out while you fixed the heater may have caused this?.

give that a go and see how it turns out

brett
    Got rid of code, but just took for a drive and it came back and same error coming up .. maybe a wire has come out where it plugs into the ecu hmm.

Guess time to pull the glovebox out
    Last edited by Hybrid; 05-02-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

if you just unplugged the ecu it shouldn't have caused a problem as each wire is held into the overall clip it is unlikely that you have pulled that single wire out. find a wiring diagram and have a look at the corosponding pin, otherwise have you done any work in the engine bay lately? maybe you have knocked the knock sensor they are very sensitive, and are damaged easily, otherwise your car actually could be knocking???
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

if the knock sensor is damaged the check engine light wont come on until you rev the engine or start driving they are very easy to break a bump on the sensor is all it takes

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

the knock sensors are in a prick of a spot
    alot of times people remove the 1j looms and cut or break the knock sensor wire without knowing

so just run yr hand under the inlet manifod and try to feel if the wires are intact on the knock sensors

Cheers for the help guys,

Can someone take a pic of where the knock sensor is by any chance on the 1J?

Work wise the only work I have done lately under the bonet was to connect up the new core, so maybe I knocked the sensor when I was unhooking the bypass hose for the old core. But yes I am unsure exactly where and what the knock sensor looks like

Quote Originally Posted by 4agte
    if the knock sensor is damaged the check engine light wont come on until you rev the engine or start driving they are very easy to break a bump on the sensor is all it takes
    Yep these are the exact symptons I am having... it never comes on until I starty reving/driving the car.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

i think from memory the 4agze knock sensor was about $300 or $400 new from toyota i dont know how much the 1j ones are but a 2nd hand one might be the way to go if you can find one. I worked out that money would be better spent on a programable ecu so thats how i fixed mine.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

I doubt you've damaged the knock sensor itself, but it's quite possible you've just knocked the wires for it. When I broke the wire on mine, it goes into a massive limp mode, and tries to well...limp home, no power, no response etc.

Try getting under the car, unplug each knock sensor at a time. Have a look at the clip, make sure it's firmly seated in the plug, and make sure the contacts are clean. Do the same for both. Clear the codes by pulling the EFI fuse for 30 seconds and take it for a drive.

If that doesn't work, you've either knocked it at the ECU end (unlikely given the amount of tape), or you've damaged the wire itself, which is a shit

Hope that helps.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    I doubt you've damaged the knock sensor itself, but it's quite possible you've just knocked the wires for it. When I broke the wire on mine, it goes into a massive limp mode, and tries to well...limp home, no power, no response etc.

Try getting under the car, unplug each knock sensor at a time. Have a look at the clip, make sure it's firmly seated in the plug, and make sure the contacts are clean. Do the same for both. Clear the codes by pulling the EFI fuse for 30 seconds and take it for a drive.

If that doesn't work, you've either knocked it at the ECU end (unlikely given the amount of tape), or you've damaged the wire itself, which is a shit

Hope that helps.
    Yep I agree, if the knock sensor is on the block itself and not visable I doubt I even got close to it. I have a feeling it must be something around the ECU area since the whole dash out etc.

Tonight I will remove the glove box assembly and have a look and if need be take some snaps and post them up for everyone to diagnose them .

The thing is the car runs perfectly and if it was not for the light coming on you would not even thing there was a problem. It is strange how it doesn't come on when the car is warm also.. only when it is cold.

Default Re: Error code 52 - Knock Sensor Signal.. 1JZ-GTE ....need help

Just to follow up I have taken the box out and inspected all the wires into the ecu ..everything seems fine.

Can someone tell me or show me a pic of waht a knock sensor actually looks like?... and do I have to get under the car to see them?

Also can anyone recommend a place in Adelaide to take my car that knows something about the 1JZ?

they bolt to the block around cyl 1 and 5

under the inlet manifold

theyre just like a big nut with a plug on the end of it

they dont usually fail unl;ess broken

its prob the wiring

but i have a 4agze/20v knock sensor here for sale if u want it

if yrs is broken remove it

the front one is a pain to reach

its above the oil filter oil pressure sensor

give me numbers and ill see if its same as mine iff u want one

Yeah I can't see how it could be the knock sensor itself, if it is located in such a place there is no way I could have knocked it I would not have thought.

The wiring into the ECU seems all in order, so yes rather out of idea's... though it only happend when I had the dash out so I dont know.

I guess my next stop is a mechanic, but trying to find one that knows anything about a 1JZ could be fun

just get a multimeter and measure for resistance between wires from knock sensor and ecu

have u checked to see if wires are connected to knock sensors