Thread: How to fix your ST162 tail lights when they stop working

sux as a Grease Monkey

Default How to fix your ST162 tail lights when they stop working

Hi

I just spent the afternoon fixing my tail lights because they stopped working. My indicators, reverse and number plate lights were fine, but my brake and tail lights didn't work. I found the problem was that stupid blown globe detector box which is mounted behind the left rear passenger armrest had given up the ghost. The tail light error warning light had been coming on randomly for the last 6 months but the tail and brake lights only stopped working yesterday.
    For those of you who are keen to ditch the potentially dangerous box (because i was driving at night without tail or brake lights and i didn't know until a friend followed me), I have some instructions on how to bypass (by that I mean eliminate ) the box and have all your lights working.

1. Remove screws and bolts as indicated by small red arrows. I suggest removing the pillar cover too because it make installation MUCH easier. Off camera on the lower right is the door trim. The whole armrest panel will slide about 5 cm towards the front of the car and come free. The plastic boot lining will need to be unclipped from the rear end of the panel.

2. Remove the light gray box. Stomp on it to make sure it's permanently dead and teach it a lesson.

3. Identify the 5 wires as shown. The pair of wires in the middle are the tail lights and the three on the right are the brake lights (thicker wires for higher currents).

4. Cut away insulation or cut the plug off and solder the wires together. I left the plug there because it meant i didn't have to worry about insulating everything when I was done.

5. I covered the joins in heatshrink and put the car back together. All is good now.

I hope this helps
    89 ST162, Extractors, Muffler, Suspension, Intake, white dials. More to come when I get money...
    Originally Posted by Javal
    ...squeak like a rat in a microwave...

Obama Family Friendly Backyard Mechanic 74sLeeka's Avatar

Default Re: How to fix your ST162 tail lights when they stop working

thanks mate. doing this now. fingers crossed it solves my no brake light problem.

+rep

EDIT: worked a treat. great writeup
    Last edited by 74sLeeka; 07-04-2008 at 10:17 PM.
    Rides:
    1974 TA22 Celica 2T-GEU - Gone
    1989 ST162R Celica 3S-GE - Stock Daily
    2005 Honda CB250 - New Toy

sux as a Grease Monkey

I'm glad to hear someone finally used the writeup. I was beginning to think I was the only one with dodgy tail lights.

My lights are still working (almost a year later), so hopefully yours should too.

Mike
    89 ST162, Extractors, Muffler, Suspension, Intake, white dials. More to come when I get money...
    Originally Posted by Javal
    ...squeak like a rat in a microwave...

Obama Family Friendly Backyard Mechanic 74sLeeka's Avatar

yeah, it was just the brake lights. my tail lights were fine.
    i asked in the 162 thread, they told me of this thread's existence.

cheers
    Rides:
    1974 TA22 Celica 2T-GEU - Gone
    1989 ST162R Celica 3S-GE - Stock Daily
    2005 Honda CB250 - New Toy