Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectly!

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Default xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectly!

Thought I would share some knowledge I gained firsthand today:

T3 (and thus, any - you won't get more over-engineered than these) AE86 castor rods fit an RA65 (and thus, any xA6x Celica) perfectly. Unlike putting these in an MA61, no mods are required to the control arms - the bolt spacing is perfect.

Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars, front and rear, also fit also an RA65 perfectly, and are perfectly compatible with the above castor rods. You can't see in the pics, but the swaybar has heaps of clearance from the 22RE sump - which means that, not only do xA6x Celica owners now have adjustable swaybars available off the shelf - it might also be suitable to clear the front sumps of 1G conversions and save having to go custom.

Pics:

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectly!

Well done mate!
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Default Re: xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectly!

Thats pretty awsome mate! I'm glad everything went smoothly for ya. You should let T3 know that thier gear also fits xA6x celicas, they'd be pretty happy to hear that.

Interesting way to mount the endlinks for the rear too, that would've saved me some headaches!

Default Re: xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectl

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Boost
    Interesting way to mount the endlinks for the rear too, that would've saved me some headaches!
    How did you mount yours? You posted pics ages ago but I couldn't find them.

The instructions seemed to show the brackets under the control arm tabs, rather than above like we did... which doesn't seem to make sense.

The Whiteline fitting instructions are likely to be generic and so maybe not applicable to your car with that sway bar. Nice coilover set-up, is that the T3 product as well? Have you any ideas for making the rear springs height adjustable? Thanks.
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

The rear of an RA65 and MA61 are identical regarding swaybar mounting, and the photo in the instructions (taken from directly underneath) seemed to have the endlinks underneath, too.

Thanks. The coilovers aren't T3 items - they're converted and shortened stock struts, using rear SW20 KYB AGX inserts, King springs, T3 camberplates and I believe Pedders lower perches and upper hats. The RCA blocks are modified MA61 ones.

I originally used T3 rollerbearing upperhats, but had all sorts of problems with the floating design and ended up having to have some machining done to use conventional upperhats which were locked on the flats of the shock shaft (no vertical movement). Note that the T3 upperhats are well made, but don't make it easy to do what I did at all (the don't leave a lot of the shock shaft thread below the upperhat... I beleive Cusco etc. have a different design that recesses the top nut instead). The T3 upperhat + rollerbearing camber top design is probably fine for really stiff springs, but wasn't for my setup.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ra23celica
    The Whiteline fitting instructions are likely to be generic and so maybe not applicable to your car with that sway bar.
    The instructions are MA61 specific and as Stefan said, RA65 and MA61 are same in that regards.

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the information and correction, I formally withdrawn my previous assertion.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Default Re: xA6x Celica: AE86 castor rods and Whiteline MA61 adjustable swaybars fit perfectl

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the information and correction, I formally withdrawn my previous assertion.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    Lol, it was a reasonable assertion - the instructions are indeed fairly generic, and while the photo isn't it IS fairly ordinary.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Don't have a photo showing the bar clearance around where the sump would go do you? That would be handy!

Stefan,
    Good work here mate. I was very interested to read your comments on the T3 standard camberplates and the rollerbearing ones they recommend for their ? (Ground Control) coil overs. It sounds like there is some machining still required in order to get these parts to work together.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

Quote Originally Posted by mrshin
    Don't have a photo showing the bar clearance around where the sump would go do you? That would be handy!
    Stupidly no, but I'm happy to take one for you (and/or I could measure the clearance from the 22RE sump to the bar).

Stefan,
    Good work here mate. I was very interested to read your comments on the T3 standard camberplates and the rollerbearing ones they recommend for their ? (Ground Control) coil overs. It sounds like there is some machining still required in order to get these parts to work together.
    PM sent explaining this in (boring ) detail. Basically T3 upper hats work with T3 camber tops if you want a floating dupper hat design as intended by T3, but I had problems with this and 'soft' springs. I had to do have machining done to make them work with conventional, non-rollerbearing non-floating upperhats.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

My eyes could be decieving me, but it looks like you have used rubber hose as a lower spring insulator on the rear springs? Pretty neat idea none the less!

..now i'm off to get me some adjustable sway bars

Well spotted Yeah, long story short - i booked into a susp shop years ago to have some 'custom spring insulators' made as originals were no longer available, and this is what they did. Neat idea, but I could have done it myself!