Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1JZ Vaccum lines

Default 1JZ Vaccum lines

I'm hoping someone on here can help me with this...

I'm in the process of putting putting my 1JZ back together, and I have most of it all connected up again which is good news

However, I have a few vacuum line connections on the intake side which I assume need something connected into them, but I can't seem to find what they connect to. There is also some sorta black "box" thing with a T-Piece line comming out of it. It's kinda just dangling there and not attached to anything.

I don't have any pics of this sorry - Might try and get some if no-one can help me out.

Even better, does anyone have a workshop manual for a 1JZ? I've heard that they're all written in Japanese, but a diagram of all the vacuum connections would help

Rob
    1JZ Toyota Cressida Grande

Roll Ons? Carport Converter Endless's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ Vaccum lines

Black box sounds like it could be the map sensor or the stock boost pressure sensor, they usually have a green sticker on the top of them.

These pics might help your cause!

http://homepage.mac.com/rib_feast/1j...Z_man_side.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/rib_feast/1j...pics/1JZ24.JPG
    (Courtesy of Ribfeast)

your mums an Carport Converter pato's Avatar

lol... iam having the same problem right now as well

also have a vacuum line ( i think) that has nothing connected to it on the turbo side. ( beneath the stock bov )
    Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

Thanks, Endless! I found those pics not long after I made my post. Hopefully they help me out a bit when I look at the car next...

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

ribfeast posted some good pics down the bottom of my thread here which might help

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25534

pato that line from the stock bov should plumb back into a small metal vacuum line below it..

i agree with the above about black box. sounds like map sensor.. it plugs into the back of the intake mani, theres a vacuum line there for it.
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

your mums an Carport Converter pato's Avatar

thanks mate..
    my ssq will connect to that quite nicely then
    Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

Xistant

http://www.1jz-gte.us

should have a vacuum referance for ya!

that sites been suspended for like 3 weeks now unfortunately...

Ok, I have found out where the first one connected to - It went into the TB just before the butterfly valve, so that's all sorted!

Also, where does this one connect to?

But the main question still remains with this little black box. I have some piccies here if anyone can make use of them (taken on my phone)... This is also on the intake side towards the firewall. I have an arrow pointing to it

Here is a 2nd pic of the box, and a line coming out of it. The line is about 4" long with a connection on the end of it, but also has another connection a bit closer to the black box.
    (Box is circled on the right, with the line marked red and connection circled on left)

first one plugs into the diagnosis box. theres a tube coming off that which im guessing by the second picture you have plugged into your charcoal cannister on that little nipple. take it off and plug the diagnosis one into the line in the first pic.

3rd pic i cant make out what it is...

Ok... what exactly is the charcol cannister for? The last pic has the charcol cannister (or black box as I referred to it earlier)... it is circled on the RHS of the pic. The red line marks the tube which comes out of it, and the circle on LHS marks the end of the tube.

Note, the tube comes out flexy, then has a solid section coming out of it - have a closer look at the pic and you will know what I mean.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by hamgatan
    first one plugs into the diagnosis box. theres a tube coming off that which im guessing by the second picture you have plugged into your charcoal cannister on that little nipple. take it off and plug the diagnosis one into the line in the first pic.

3rd pic i cant make out what it is...
    ????
    Last time i looked the diagnosis box aint got a vac line connected to it, it is only wires.
    The solid line in the first pic had a cap on it on my 1j. I use it for my ebc and boost guage.

The black box is your charcoal cannister
    It is used to filter fumes from your petrol tank when it pressurizes, like on a hot day.
    You will need to connect a vac line to it with a one way valve in line so you dont fill your tank with pressure when your car is on boost.
    Then usually on the bottom of the canister you connect the other line to your fuel tank.
    If this is on an mx83 it will be on the left hand side of the engine bay, opposite the turbos, it will be a solid metal line you cant miss it

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Doofy
    ????
    Last time i looked the diagnosis box aint got a vac line connected to it, it is only wires.
    sorry i should have been a little clearer... not into the diagnosis box itself, but right underneath it theres another vacuum line that should be coming out from under it..

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Doofy
    The black box is your charcoal cannister
    It is used to filter fumes from your petrol tank when it pressurizes, like on a hot day.
    You will need to connect a vac line to it with a one way valve in line so you dont fill your tank with pressure when your car is on boost.
    Then usually on the bottom of the canister you connect the other line to your fuel tank.
    If this is on an mx83 it will be on the left hand side of the engine bay, opposite the turbos, it will be a solid metal line you cant miss it
    Thanks for that... makes sense now. I had a look at the cannister and there is a line running from the bottom of it, which heads underneath the car towards the back - this would be going to the fuel tank.

So it's already connected to the fuel tank, where do I connect the top part of it to? Does that just go into the inlet manifold, but with a 1-way valve?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rob_o
    The red line marks the tube which comes out of it, and the circle on LHS marks the end of the tube.

Note, the tube comes out flexy, then has a solid section coming out of it - have a closer look at the pic and you will know what I mean.
    As I recall, that flex-then-solid tube from the charcoal canister is the vent to atmosphere, which actually fits into a little rubber grommet in the engine crossmember. It just vents into the air space within the crossmember, and thence to atmosphere.

On my build, the Cressida charcoal canister was not in a suitable location (can't recall why, I think it fouled on something or maybe was too close to the hot turbos) so I fitted the little 1JZ unit to the firewall instead.

I later thought a better idea would have been to move the (bigger) cressida canister to the cavity inside the guard under the airbox and run new vacuum lines to it. This won't work if you have ABS though, as the ABS unit lives there
    '93 MX83 Cressy with 1JZGTE (now with engineered goodness)
    '85 YN57 Hilux SR5 with 3.8l V6
    '98 ES300 (with gold bits!!)
    + A Corolla and some non-Toyotas