Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4age tech question?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4age tech question?

Just wanna clear something up.. I have a 3 rib 4age MAP bigport ''blue hat'' series 1 88kw,
    i also have a 7 rib 4age MAP bigport ''red hat'' 88kw are they rare to come in that form, is that series 2 "Hi-comp" with the beefier block that has larger gudgeons, rods and oil squirtes is that correct?

I'm also building up a 4agte its AE92 bigport AFM type, with DLI igntion & 8.0:1 compression that means no oil squiters. Is this correct? AE93 has slightly stronger rods ,same as used in 100kW 4age from Aus delivered SX/GTi corollas. Now is the ''red hat'' that i own the same block as the AE93 as used in 100kw GTi corollas? If so do both blocks have beefier internals & oil squirters? if they do i was thinking of scrapping the 4agze block taking the pistons & rods out and putting them in the "red hat" block so that means i'd have the oil squirtes to boot and yes i've searched everywhere to clarify this up http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7...geengines.html

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...ne%20Block.htm

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: 4age tech question?

You are in a rare position indeed!

check all of the engines and you will know first hand what each one has in it.

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic Big T's Avatar

I believe the 4age 7 rib bottom with bigport head does not have oil squirters either.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil....into%20RWD.htm

Near the bottom of the page. My cousin has one of these engines in his sprinter as well. I'll ask the previous owner if he noticed them as this engine was rebuilt within the last 2 years.

Eddie.
    4agte finally completed. 234rwkw @ 8125rpm. Tis fun

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

My gze is missing from that graph, mine has bigport with DLI.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

all of the bigport gze's coilpack and dizzy dont have oil squirters also the rods are the same in all gze's afaik.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4agte
    also the rods are the same in all gze's afaik.
    This is incorrect as far as I have read.

Rods are the same in NA and GZE of the same year. Apparently the AE93 GZE and 16V rods identical, and slightly larger than the AE101 GZE and 20V rods (which are also identical).

I am also of the opinion that oil squirters were only found in the 100kw block and 20V blocks (and of course the corresponding GZEs), not the earlier ones.

Hen

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic benjamin's Avatar

Does that mean that the MAP GZE's use smallport heads?

never mind I read further and found that all gze's with 8.9:1 comp have small port heads.
    Last edited by benjamin; 05-02-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    This is incorrect as far as I have read.

Rods are the same in NA and GZE of the same year. Apparently the AE93 GZE and 16V rods identical, and slightly larger than the AE101 GZE and 20V rods (which are also identical).

Hen
    fair enough

strange that toyota would use a weaker rod in a later model gze
    i would be interested if someone with first hand experience could confirm/deny this

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

having rebuilt many (dozens) of these 4AG's I suggest several of you are quite wrong.
    1) the GZE rods that I've dealt with are unique to that engine. they are much fatter than either 16V or 20V ones. The early silver top 20V rods are almost the same as late 100kw. the black top rods are unique. Despite racing these engines for a long time, and running an engine shop, I've never seen a 4AG toyota rod break, so discussion on "weak" is all nonsense. However,any of them can fail by rod bolt breakage. All 4AG rods use dimensionally identical rod bolts
    2) I have never been able to tell externally which blocks have squirters. I've never found a 86kw engine with them & only a few 100kw ones. In australia, the 100kw engine only came with squirters in some AW11's and a very few AE92's. Not all imported GZE engines have squirters.

the aus delivered aw11 to my knowledge only came with a red and blue versions of the 4age not the100kw motor.

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic Big T's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terryo
    having rebuilt many (dozens) of these 4AG's I suggest several of you are quite wrong.
    1) the GZE rods that I've dealt with are unique to that engine. they are much fatter than either 16V or 20V ones. The early silver top 20V rods are almost the same as late 100kw. the black top rods are unique. Despite racing these engines for a long time, and running an engine shop, I've never seen a 4AG toyota rod break, so discussion on "weak" is all nonsense. However,any of them can fail by rod bolt breakage. All 4AG rods use dimensionally identical rod bolts
    This i can sort of confirm as well. I handled a set of GZE rods the morning before going to strip down my smallport. The GZE rods looked definately bigger but i never had the two side by side so i figured it was just my imagination. It's strange that they're listed for the same part numbers though?

Eddie.
    4agte finally completed. 234rwkw @ 8125rpm. Tis fun

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Dimitri's Avatar

the last NA small port i pulled down definately had squirters.

one interesting thing i can take from this is you must be able to get a 7 rib block that does not have provision for the small ports oil drain/breather (rubber hose from the back of the head down to the block).

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Dimitri - Yes it is possible to get a 7 rib block with no oil drain at the back of the head. AFAIK my GZE out of an AW11 dosnt have provision for this pressumably because it has a big port head.
    85 TA63 Carina 3sge
    89 GZ20 Snoarer 1jz

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Nim's Avatar

The late model AW11 4A-GE is the 7 rib block, with a bigport head. The AE92 Levin/Trueno also came with a 4A-GE with a 7 rib block, and a bigport head. So these would not have the smallport oil line you guys are talking about.

terryo, are you sure the 100kw don't have oil squirters? I find that interesting, as everything I've reaid sais they all do. But I suppose you've had your head inside them, so you'd know. Perhaps all the JDM smallports had oil squerters?

As for the origonal post, according to this site, none of the bigports had oil cooled pistons, and it doesn't appear to be higher compression (although the source for this info seems to think the red top made less power than the older bluetop, which doesn't sound right). But yes, the red top has the 20mm gudgeon (over 18mm), 42mm conrod big end (over 40mm), but still a 48mm main bearing - same as all 4A-GEs. That's assuming you can trust the info on that site, I've only played with 1 4A-GE, and I haven't gone into that much detail.

More stuff on 4A-GEs Here.

Hope that's helpfull.
    Daily: DC2 Integra VTiR :: 96kw @7300rpm - 132nm @6300rpm
    Techno Toymods | Beninca Dyno Day Results 10/9/05 | GOR Cruise '06 | My Photography and Illustration

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

Having torn down a 4AGE or two in my time heres what i can confirm

3 rib blocks never came with oil squirters GE or GZE.

7 rib blocks all have oil squirters including the 7 rib with the bigport head.

some of the very early small port heads did not have an oil drains from the back of the head to the block and ditto for the oil drain in the block obviously.

as for the rods and gudgeons, somewhere i have a whole lot of photos of all the rods gudgeons cranks and pistons laying side by side ( ill see if i can find them when i have time) basically 3 rib block had 18mm gudgeon and quite a thick rod and a recessed piston, the later 7 ribs had a much lighter rod that was rumored to be stronger and i believe was the same rod used for the GZE with no changes.

Pistons were a raised dome except GZE which were coated and dished (and were not able to be proved conclusively to be forged or not forged by a metalurgy test thanks to oldcorollas, possible formation was by semi-solid formed) the 7 rib blocks used the 20mm gudgeon.
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.