Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine probs today

ditty man Grease Monkey

Default engine probs today

Last night on the way home driving through kalamunda after going up a few steep hills I pulled up to a stop sign and could smell coolant to look down and see the temp gauge sitn in the red turned motor off and just rolled for a km or so and rolled to stop...waited 15 min and turned it back on and it was sitn nice and low and managed to get it in the driveway and just started to creep above normal operating temp. Popped bonnet to find that coolant had been boiling in the overflow and pissing out all over my bay..

got up this morning to check coolant level and was bone dry.. (was full this time last week), filled it back up and bled the system with much dificulty as it kept foaming up. Started driving to work and accelerated in 3rd gear and the car started vibrating alot. It will do this in 2,3,4,5th at low revs between 2 & 3500 rpm but only if you open the throttle up just a little over half (idled driving there is no prob). if you plant it in first it will pull fine, hit second and it will vibrate for a quick second and then the next gears you wont see any problem...

any ideas..."crosses fingers heads not warped"

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

Default Re: engine probs today

well to try and help that crossed fingers theory, are you leaking coolant? Although that "foaming up" is usually a BHG i thought. the vibrating though could just be when the car is under enough load (thus 1st doesn't do it) the motor vibrates dues to a busted engine mount or something?
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT

Junior Member Carport Converter

Sounds like BHG to me also

Do a compression test on the cyl's , and check the oil for water.

Either that or take it to your mechanic and he will be able to tell you what the problem is and a cost to fix no doubt.

I wouldn't be driving it however that is for sure, the more you do the more likely you will do further damage.

ditty man Grease Monkey

whats BHG stand for?

Blown Head Gasket

basically the seal between the coolant in the engine and the oil/cyclinders if you blow one and drive it letting it over heat alot then it will warp your head for you

ditty man Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by ndgcpr
    Blown Head Gasket

basically the seal between the coolant in the engine and the oil/cyclinders if you blow one and drive it letting it over heat alot then it will warp your head for you
    yeh i kinda figured it would be the inside of the gasket between the jacketts... it does feel like its combusting water

ditty man Grease Monkey

im going to attempt to fix this myself as I allready have a 20v witha hole in the block i need to get fixed up this month so will be short for cash... my dads a mechanic by trade and has built a few v8's so he can help me if i run into trouble..

where can i get a headgasket from? how much normally? i dont really care at this stage about quality as it is geting rebuilt in a month or so..

Dan.

ring the local toyota place, and they will be able to tell you if you need to import one, i would think your gonna have to go through toyota

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by AE101LEV
    ... could smell coolant to look down and see the temp gauge sitn in the red turned motor off and just rolled for a km or so and rolled to stop...waited 15 min and turned it back on .. <snip rest>
    sorry to sound annoyed... but did you try to look under the bonnet at this point to see what the problem might be? before re-starting your drive home?

One would think it prudent to find out why there's a smell of coolant before valiantly (and obviously terminally) continuing on with your drive home?

My mum did this once (she got the red-hot temp gauge plus the oil light while driving), didn't check anything, waited a few minutes for it to "cool down", drove home, then wondered why the engine refused to turn over the next morning (rings were mostly welded to the bores). Rebuilt engine+low oil+no coolant = 18month lifespan.

ditty man Grease Monkey

no i didnt check because it knew where it was coming from as its done it a few times.. which is how i knew it had boiled and overflowed..

Junior Member Grease Monkey cressida_1jz's Avatar

I think you have cooked it buddy.Find the problem first before you start pulling things apart.

It sounds like to me your thermostat has jammed shut on you.

When hey jam while the motors running,they stop the water flowing almost strait away and it builds up like 40 psi of pressure causing it to blow into the overflow tank.

Ive had radiators top and bottom tanks blow of the core when this has happened.
    1997 JZX100 Chaser Tourer V
    1991 Cressida Grande 1JZ-GTE *sold*

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

why dont u check under the oil cap. see if theres any whitish build up. usualy an indication of water in the oil.
    visa versa with the radiator. look for oil floating in the water... thats wat id usually do to inspect if ive got a leaky HG, or before purchasing a car, id check that...

just a thought. if it was only over heating id be thinking shitted thermostat.?? but shaking says otherwise...
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

can't you tell water in oil from the dipstick?

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

dunno. never heard of that, cause its a small sample of oil. but i geuss theres a chance of that.
    maybe even cause oiil floats on water? it would come out watery???
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

ditty man Grease Monkey

found the problem..

the spart plugs were under about 5cm of water... the o ring was rooted ont the black plate on top of the cover