Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbonetics GT-K series turbos

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: Turbonetics GT-K series turbos

I get the impression that Turbonetics must still have 1 or 2 container loads of these old-school T Wheels.

Is it fair to say that the Surge line with the Old-wheels and new Cover would probably be about the same as the Garrett GTs'......?

Mmmm Bickies Domestic Engineer GriZZly's Avatar

6Boost are you sure they havent modifed the comp wheel? As on the turbonetics forums a forum admin said that they havent released the new compressor maps which would indicate to me they are different..

Also you dont think the special F1 exhaust wheel with its special wingtips and what not actually makes any difference? i dont know enough about the intricacies of a turbine wheel to comment.. turbonetics obviously think theyve done something special though.. Have you seen or got access to any back to back comparisons? would be interesting to see

Worlds Fastest 1G Backyard Mechanic

I don't know how many times I have to say it, the "Special" F1 turbine wheel is a GT wheel. Nothing else. I personally own a F1 P trim wheel and is fitted in my Mr Turbo T66, I purchased it through an australian distibutor, and have measured, compared and sat it side by side with a garrett GT35 wheel. They are identicle, the only difference, is they have stretched the casting in size so the blades are longer to match the bigger P trim wheel Diameter.

The larger F1 S trim wheel is a driect, exact copy of the garret GT S trim wheel that is fitted to the GT4294 and 4202, it is the same S trim whel thats fitted to MR Turbo turbo's, and the same S trim wheel used by precision and others, maybe turbonetics has it cast themselves, the shafts would be slightly different to match their bearing system, they would be inconel, but in terms of design, they are EXACTLY the same blade design, "special wing tips" and all. So, I repeat again. THEY ARE THE SAME AS A GARRETT GT TURBINE WHEEL, they have just renamed it an F1 wheel.

As for the comp wheel/compressor map, how could they use the old map or supply a map if they haven't yet tested one?? As with the new ported cover(even with the exact same T76 wheel), the surge line will move to the left, they can't just guess by how much, of coarse they have to test it and create a new compressor map. I have no problems with turbonetics or their products, I think they do a great job, I also don't say they are the same wheels like they are a copycat, why change a good thing?? I'm mearly trying to point of the similarities to the garrett and save you some hassle.

You obviously have your heart set on this turbo, so rather than question everything I say, how bout you go buy one, and tell us all how it goes?? Simple.

6BOOST