Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install an adjustable 1JZ cam gear in 1.5 hours

the Afterbirth Tycoon Automotive Encyclopaedia PlacentaJuan's Avatar

Default Re: How to install an adjustable 1JZ cam gear in 1.5 hours

yes i learnt all about the tensionor trick from reading the engine manual, which also had a test for the tensionor to see if it needed replacing or not (mine passed the test)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer21
    Indeed that is quite probable. The original bolts for the cover have a very thin head on them compared to regular 6mm bolts. If some goose stuck a non-original bolt in there you may find you've got the troubles you experienced

The bolts are definitely the factory items with a thin head width. (Was at Slim's place today).
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...

If i could add my 2c i would warn everyone not to tighten the timing belt tensioner bolts up TOO much. One of the two bolts has significantly less 'meat' to grab onto than the other, and can and will strip if you go overboard.

I regret to say someone that has worked on my car previously has overtightened mine, and upon removal of the bolt, came coils of stripped alloy!

Upon installation it completely stripped the rest of the thread and i had to drill and helicoil that thread. It was only by the grace of god the toyota (yamaha) engineers left just enough room there to be able to carry out this operation so i didnt have to remove the head just to helicoil it! (some people have successfully used a bolt on the other side of the nut but the surface is on a serious taper and i cant see how this would be reliable.)

consider yourselves warned

the following pic shows the difference in the thickness of the metal.

JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

Mödërätör Automotive Encyclopaedia

Ok... for the record, the bolt that hit my GReddy gear is the correct one for it's location. It's one of those shallow headed bolts and is the same as the other 3 that hold the metal backing plate in place.

After taking the bolt out i put the gear and timing belt back together and i thought that all was well... I was wrong. The back of the gear (the blue bit) now grinds on the metal backing plate that the bolt once held in place. The plate only moves about a milimeter if you pull on it so the gear must normally sit fucking close.

I don't know what to do because if i have a bolt there it hits the gear. If i don't have a bolt there, the gear grinds on the metal plate. It's a catch 22 situation. One thing that was tried was to remove the two washers from the bolt to make it sit in closer to the plate but i think that still wasn't enough so i didn't try putting it back together a 4th time.

My tensioner is now showing signs of tiredness... It's oozing oil. Time for a new one. grrr. Anyone got a part number for a 1JZ tensioner? Is there an aftermarket option or is it a Toyota only part?

I took the gear back to Autobarn and they're gonna double check that it is the proper one for the 1J. The stupid thing is that the gear has absolutely no identifying marks or numbers... so it's pretty difficult to confirm what car it's designed for unless you know what to compare it with.

All in all, the car is still not going after a week of stuffing around. God damn i wish i had a garage so i could work on the car at night.
    Simon.

1991 Toyota Cressida (JZX83).
    1967 Morris Mini Deluxe (1330cc A+).

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

I've got a fidanza (titan) and from what I remember the mount point had a really 'low offset' if you know what i mean. that looks like it would sit too far in? how did it line up with the other stock one that was still on there?

If they keep fuckin you round get your money back and get a fidanza, probably a lot cheaper and they are the same as teh titan ones minus the logo.
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    My tensioner is now showing signs of tiredness... It's oozing oil. Time for a new one. grrr. Anyone got a part number for a 1JZ tensioner? Is there an aftermarket option or is it a Toyota only part?
    Code:
    JZX81
    9008-9107
    13540-46010 Tensioner Assy, Chain, No.1

9107-9210
    13540-46011 Tensioner Assy, Chain, No.1

JZX100
    9907-0106
    13540-46030 Tensioner Assy, Chain, No.1

9609-9907
    13540-46012 Tensioner Assy, Chain, No.1
    Last edited by horse; 09-06-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo for jzx100

The "low offset" of which you speak is less of a recess in the back of the blue section?

I think to make the gear i have clear the bolt and the backing plate better it should be almost flat on the back there (blue section. It's that recess that means the gear sits too close to the backing plate. HOWEVER... if that was the case, the actual toothed part of the gear would no longer sit int he correct line. Currently when it's installed it is perfectly lined up with the belt and the other gear.

So i don't know. When it's all installed it all looks to be fine but it's not, for the explained reasons.

And... as far as getting my money back... that's always difficult to do. Especially when i have pretty much destroyed the product i'm returning.
    Simon.

da horse... can't rep you again for a while. Will do so when i can.

Thanks for the info. Why is there two part numbers for each? Do i just pick one and run with it or what? I'm looking at the jzx81 because that's what my engine was sourced from.
    Simon.

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

Yeah thats what i was thinking of, Hmmm, To be honest I think they have given you the wrong one. IIRC the 2J 1J and 4A all have interchangeable cam gears (bolt and guide pin wise) tho maybe they need different rear clearance? I'm sure the back of mine where extended to give more rear clearance...
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

Yeah. It said 2J on the box (see my pic) but the little Autobarn label said that it was compatible with the 1J. Maybe autobarn have fucked up there. I told the blokes at Autobarn a pile of times that it was going on a non-VVTi 1J so they can't claim it's my fault.

If you look at the standard gear the back face has no recess at all. It's completely flat.
    Simon.

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

you should be able to use either of the jzx81 part numbers as one is the sub for the other.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

just the other week ran a 1JZ up on dyno with adj cam sprockets, advanced and retarded both exhaust and inlet sprocket while doing run between each adjustment.

First retarded exhaust 2,4,6 deg(run between each adj) then advanced exhaust 2,4,6 deg with run each time. Then did the same for inlet cam. Basically just buy an exhaust sprocket and retard it 4-6deg.

got a nice dyno sheet prinout with the back to back results for us? or is that asking too much?
    JZA70|R / 12.45 @ 111 mph.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic gixer's Avatar

I'll print off when I get back to work tommorrow.

Junior Member Grease Monkey BMWTurbo's Avatar

I'm not certain it can be done, but have you checekd to make sure your backing plate is facing the correct way? From memory, they have a depression for the bolt heads.