Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler sizing theory

Teh Massif Dong Carport Converter BlackSupra's Avatar

Default Intercooler sizing theory

Looking at running a small amount of boost (1.7bar) through a compressor at the top end of its efficiency range.

Car currently has a 470x280x100mm tube and fin intercooler.

Looking to increase the size of the intercooler and alot of the theory points towards a wider intercooler giving a greater cooling capacity versus a deeper one.

The two items i was looking at is a hybrid 600x300x80mm tube and fin intercooler or a crap spec justjap 600x300x100mm bar and plate cooler.

Will the extra cooling capabilities of the bar and plate cooler be more beneficial than the smaller item, or will the hybrid core be up to the task (500rwhp). Will the bar and plate be less restrictive at this boost level? Will it provide adequate cooling?

Just wondering what peoples opinions, and preferably proven fact are.

Default Re: Intercooler sizing theory

It depends on the pressure drop across each core, the internal surface area and the mass of the core itself. (intercoolers on road cars gererally operate as heat sinks, not constant rate heat exchangers)

The whole thing is a swings and roundabouts excercise.

Core A may have a higher heat transfer rate than core B, however core B may cause less pressure drop. If you tested them back to back they could deliver the same final result, or not.

Looking at the two options, I'd probably go for the 100mm thick bar and plate as it will have a grater mass than the tube and fin, and the extra 20mm depth may give you a little bit of a flow rate increase.

Having said that, without putting them side-by-side and looking at the tube/fin density and the end tank style it's hard to say. The only way to adequately test them would be to go back to back in the car.

Gut feel still says the bar and plate one as it's deeper.
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

tube length will affect how much it cools.
    thickness and number of tubes determine the flow capability.
    B/P vs T/F well that would require a back-back test for which has greater flow/cooling but id go with the 100mm B/P due to price but please remember that the more you put in front of your rad the hotter the engine may run.
    the T/F version will generally allow more air to the rad as the tubes are radiused.
    cheer
    linden

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

All things being equal and not going into the complex bar and plate vs tube and fin arguement, a thicker intercooler is always going to be better because of the greater flow and increased mass of cool metal compared to a thinner core. In reality however due to the increase in drag for cooling air flowing through the core you may end up with cooler that heatsoaks when your cruising around town, As well as causing the overheating issues roadrunner raised.
    Id say go the thinner core, just cause im a lazy bastard and it would be easier to fit.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Don't know how much the coolers are you are looking at but personally if you already have a moderately sized one, I would be looking at water injection instead and just have it switched to come on >20psi or so. I think there would be more power produced with this method than swapping to a slightly larger more efficient cooler. Anyway, just another option.

Otherwise, I would be going for the 100mm thick one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Water spray onto the exterior of the intercooler, triggered by a temp sensor maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    Don't know how much the coolers are you are looking at but personally if you already have a moderately sized one, I would be looking at water injection instead and just have it switched to come on >20psi or so. I think there would be more power produced with this method than swapping to a slightly larger more efficient cooler. Anyway, just another option.

Otherwise, I would be going for the 100mm thick one.
    I will be rerouting and replacing all intercooler piping in the process of doing this, so it just seemed the logical thing to upgrade in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    I will be rerouting and replacing all intercooler piping in the process of doing this, so it just seemed the logical thing to upgrade in the process.
    logical 7m owners soon become 2jz owners

A 7m owner likes to be challenged. Except for matty who could have bought a titan 2J

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra
    Most 7m owner are mentally challenged. Except for matty who could have bought a titan 2J
    fixed for you

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Funny farkers in here today
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Hey Matt, just to clarify what (recently engaged - congrats!) Sir Dongeh has said here, does he mean you somehow had the opportunity to purchase a bargain of a slightly used Titan monstrosity, or just that you've spent enough on Teh Megap00 to purchase a new one outright?
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

I believe he's eluding to the latter. I don't think I've spent quite that much!
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Excited Member Grease Monkey thomasbl's Avatar

Just a thought.. A friend of mine works in thermo dynamics, and is involved in v8 supercar racing. He did a lot of radiator design and testing for a particular team. As we work on cars together often, he was suggesting that there was no point me going for a triple core rad over a 2 core rad for my application.

In the rads he was designing, there was little or no measureable cooling benefit over a thicker core, say 3 core over 2 core, as the efficiency of the rear layers were far less than the fronts. i assume this would be similar in an intercooler. The difference was marginal, and outweighed by weight increases in their applications.

Taking this into account, more size, eg length and width, should be more effective at cooling than one the same dimensions only thicker.
    Given that bar and plate generally dont need as large tanks, the tube and fin, switching to b+p might mean you can have a slightly bigger core, without changing you piping designs and putting too much more in front of the rad.

Remember too that for certain applications, a cooler inlet temp is not ALWAYS desireable. Some inlet and manifold designs work very hard to warm inlet charges and cooling too much can be counterproductive for areas other than WOT and peak power.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbl
    1. Taking this into account, more size, eg length and width, should be more effective at cooling than one the same dimensions only thicker.
    2. Remember too that for certain applications, a cooler inlet temp is not ALWAYS desireable. Some inlet and manifold designs work very hard to warm inlet charges and cooling too much can be counterproductive for areas other than WOT and peak power.
    1. yes frontal area is better for cooling.
    2. not sure if this is true as everthing ive tried and sucseeded with goes against this
    cheers
    linden