Thread: Rust on the cams - how to clean/repair?

Toymods Club Member

Default Rust on the cams - how to clean/repair?

Hi All,
    I recently purchased a 3TGTE that has not been started for years. When removing the rocker cover I found rust on the cams (as shown in pics) and on the timing cog and chain.
    I would like advice on how best remove this rust. I would prefer not to remove the cams.
    Cheers, Ben.
    [img]0511190037.jpg[/img]
    [img]0511190038.jpg[/img]
    71 TA22 2T - the project car. --SOLD 3/2010
    72 TA22 2TG - my daily driver. --SOLD 3/2010
    74 TA22 2T - my last one. --SOLD 6/2010
    3TGTE - will start this up one day. --SOLD 3/2010

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

Default Re: Rust on the cams - how to clean/repair?

Theres not that much on there, some Inox and fine (300+ grit) sandpaper will take care of it.
    The rest will wear off pretty quickly once you start the engine.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Many cams are surface hardened and all used ones have been work hardened by use. The major part of running in an engine is conditioning the cams.

I would be very wary of using a 300 grit on the cams. I would suggest that if you want to sand them at all (running the engine will remove that surface rust in fairly short order) use something like a 1500 grit and only take off the loose top coating of rust.

As that engine has not been run for some time I would suggest that you take the time to smother the cams in moly assembly lube to protect them to a degree until the engine can supply a decent oil supply.

Once you do start running it a lot of built up crap will be knocked off of the engine and end up in the oil. If the cams look like that then there is a good chance that the rods, bores, crank and other parts do too. Do an oil change before you run it and again after 500km or so.

You may want to pull off the water pump to see what the cooling system looks like too. Again I would suggest flushing it after it has been run for a bit.

Cheers,

Terry.
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

A cloth soaked with oil and some rubbing would prbly also take most of it off (and when the engine is run it will take care of the rest). Also I'd be smothering the thing in oil, oil down the bores (leave the plugs out) and smothering the cam's with oil too, then I'd turn it over by hand. . I wouldn't be surprised if most of that rust disappeared after turning it over a few dozen times and rubbing the cams with an oil soaked rag.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

I'd pour fresh oil in the head and turn it over for a couple of mins without the coil connected.
    A decent speaker magnet to the bottom of the sump ought to protect the oil pump from anything big.
    Then inspect, then drain oil. Use some diesel instead of oil, and crank it over for a bit.
    Then remove the magnet and drain, Flush the sump with a few more L of diesel, and then put clean oil in.

(engines can run with diesel as a lube for short periods under low loads without issue so dont be scared)
    Last edited by myne; 03-02-2006 at 11:10 AM.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

id spray CRC or WD40 or Nulon Nulube down the bores BEFORE cranking at all... as this will free up the rings if they have bonded at all to the bores, and stop them from tearing bits off. Leave the stuff in there for a good half hour before turning the crank, and be generous with it. First movement should be a turn by hand. Also, any sanding you do on the cams while thier in the head will result in grit in your head which can cause premeture wear in things like your buckets.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

petrol and a scourer ,the 1s your mums uses to wash up the dishes with

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

I would use oil and steel-wool.

Steel-wool will take off the surface rust, but not any of the cam steel like sand-paper would.

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4DaDrift
    hydrocloric acid will strip corrosion from most metals yet as with everything in life
    test it first and be sure that you use the right saftey gear and get a second opinion and research into it first
    Uh, Hydrochloric Acid will also eat away at the metal. It is highly corrosive and will eat away at your hands too.
    Not sensible.

Just use a scotchbrite pad (the technical term for what CelicaRA45 is talking about) and a bit of oil. And as the others have said smother the thing with moly lube before starting,
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Try some Coke. According to another thread it does just about everything else.

But if it was my cam, I'd use steel wool with WD40 and get off the surface stuff. Also, I'm with the WD40 in the cylinders before you hand crank it.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Toymods Club Member

Thanks for that.
    There seems to be a few options, SteelWool/ScotchbritePad + Oil, 1500 WetDry + Kero, WD40 + CourseRag, but noone mentioned MetalPolish/Toothpaste.

When I first got the motor (6 months ago) the crank was turned to test for a sieze. It turned. Things were tight. After removing the cam cover i was shocked to see the rust. It gives rise to "Is there rust anywhere else?" (like the bores etc).

Currently the turbo and cam cover are stripped off. My intention is to strip off the EFI and other piping to leave just the block and main internals. Then do an 'internals check' with a view to repairing surface rust on the cams, timing chain, and possible the boar etc etc etc.

Looks as though the block should really be stripped enough such that complete consideration can be given to all the 'metal-on-metal' components. I wasnt going to take the head off but it looks as though it would be the wise thing to do to allow full inspection of boars.

Cleanliness seems inportant as some grip may be left behind if not extremely careful. Washing/flushing the head/block/journals etc is something that now will be done to ensure everything is clean, slipery and ready to go. Water pump etc will be inspected.

Will update with pics when i get started onto this. I feel as though a simple 'cleanup the cams' thread will now turn into a 'how to rejuvinate an engine after it has been in hibernation for many years'.
    71 TA22 2T - the project car. --SOLD 3/2010
    72 TA22 2TG - my daily driver. --SOLD 3/2010
    74 TA22 2T - my last one. --SOLD 6/2010
    3TGTE - will start this up one day. --SOLD 3/2010

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

If there is only rust on the cams, then I'd use some moly grease or even 'engine honey' and crank the thing over by hand a fair few times. Inspect it. Make sure there is still plenty of lube on it, then crank it over on the starter for a bit. Basically any rust on the tip of the lobe *should* wear down quite quickly - if you are worried about losing some of the 'hardness' then i hate to say it but you already have (once there is some rust there).

Unless your oil filter doesn't do it's job you shouldn't need a magnet on the bottom of the sump, but if your engine is full of corrosion etc you will want to change the oil filter, and the oil (use non-synthetic) - within 100km or so of running as the filter will be used up quite quickly.
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

a wire buffing wheel, thats what we use at work
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back