Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K40 gear box

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default K40 gear box

Hey does anyone know anything bout K40's?

Default Re: K40 gear box

thanks anyway

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

i know they are a 4 speed gearbox that come from ke20s and ke30s. i have one in my garage. what kind of info are you after my friend. did yo try google or searching the old toymods site?

well i have quite an odd question

I have a ke70 with the k40 box (well i gues it is i'm not expert) and the person before me has chewed the head on th bolt on the side.

I discovered this after i drained it so now i can't drive my car till i fill it with oil again.

Wot i need to know is, is it possible to put oil throgh the opening t the top where the swith for teh reverse lights bolts in? i have put a peice of wire in and it doesn't appear to go in very deep i m desperate to get oil in it as i need it on the road tommrow morning for work.

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

i believe you could put it down the shift hole. move the cover were the shifter goes in and see if you can see oil. if so pour away just dont over fill it.

k40 scroll down
    Oil Fill Quantities

K40 - 1.7L
    Last edited by Cuzzo; 31-01-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

yup, unbolt the shifter, pull it out, and fill from the top....

thats how i usually do it anyway
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

If you want to eventually undo the filler plug, weld a sturdy bit of rod to it. Then slide a long bit of water pipe over that and undo it. The plug is munted anyway. Fit new plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Vella
    Wot i need to know is, is it possible to put oil throgh the opening t the top where the swith for teh reverse lights bolts in? i have put a peice of wire in and it doesn't appear to go in very deep i m desperate to get oil in it as i need it on the road tommrow morning for work.
    forgot to mention this will be really really really slow to do... the reverse switch is activated by the shift rods, but i can't remember if the rod completely pulls away rom the switch or not... i would suggest it doesn't as it goes forward into the front section of the casing...

go the shifter hole.. pan in the arse but....
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:41 PM.

whch are weaker and what is your proof
    have you compared both boxes side by side to see the size of bearings and gear teeth?
    (i mean between KE10, KE20, KE30, KE70 4 and 5 speeds?)

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:39 PM.

well.. the gears are the same size, most of the bearings are the same size.. there is a diferent arrangement for 5th gear, but that should not affect it.

most K series boxes break 2nd gear. this is no different between 4 spd and 5spd.

there was one guy who broke the extension housing off, but iirc, that was due to a broken uni joint, thrashing it around.

as far as i can see, from having lined up the boxes, and from having used them both, there is no difference between them.
    both K40 and K50 (from KE10 thru to KE70) will all break 2nd gear if treated badly.

i know ppl have said from time to time that their 5 speeds broke, but often the 5spd was put in after engine upgrade, or they didn't run 4 speeds or whatever... anyway.. thats my 2c i changed to 5speed after a put the fuel injection on my 4K and it didn't break unlike the 5 or 6 (or was it 7?) K40's before it....

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 16-12-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks for all the info guys, i ended up up till 12 last night, yes i removed the shifter in the end.

And to confirm wot old corollas said,
    Yes it takes bloody ages to fill through the reverse light ohle, hence the reason why i gave up and pulled the shifter.

Yes i would like to upgrade to a K50, but unfortunately time and money is an issue

You have all proved very knowledgable and helped heaps cheers guys reputation points for all.

1 more question, wot happens if by chance there is slighty to much oil/oil stabiliser in there? LoL i must sound like the biggest back yard amateur.

too much oil is not so bad.. worst is it would leak out front and rear seals perhaps..

oil stabiliser?