Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relative strength of RT142 and MX62 diffs

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default relative strength of RT142 and MX62 diffs

hi folks,

am just pondering a cheap-arse diff upgrade for my RA40 when its engine morphs into a 1G.

The current T-series diff (code T292) is fragile and and I am trying to avoid paying for a modified F-series diff (e.g. diff jig plus new crown/pinion wheel and associated setup costs).

The laziest option is an RT142 diff which has a better ratio (3.9:1) but the inherent Bog Warmer fragility and no known LSD option (apart from a CiG locker option). It would bolt up to the RA40.

The next laziest option is an MX62 diff (3.7:1) with an even better ratio but it also has the glass-like E-series diff with no LSD option (only the CiG locker option). It would require relocating the upper trailing mounts and the extra width make FWD offset rims manditory. You can (it would appear with Graham's research) bolt up the RT142 disks to this diff making the upgrade a win-win (except for the obvious fragility of the axles/centre).

so my question to all you more knowledgable folk is:
    - would either of these diffs stand up to (for weekend use only) the almighty power of a near-stock 1ggte

I've yet to find out how different the mounts on an MS112 Crown are compared to the RA40 - as it's F-series (which is good) but the ratio is wrong (4.1:1) and its another 5mm wider than the MX62.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Re: relative strength of RT142 and MX62 diffs

My vote:

MX62 = shite. I see no reason to do it!

I vote MS112. Sure you might have to make a jig to put the diff on / get the mounts welded on, but in the end god it is easier and better!....

Or perhaps for the total win talk to that chump we know with a MA45?

Cheers
    Wilbo

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Don't mess around with diffs, get the one which you know will survive and you know has decent LSD options. If you buy an inferior diff out of cheapness or laziness you'll be kicking yourself later on. Take it from a man who's caused more than his share of drivetrain destruction!

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

vovlvo 240 diff, 28 spline axles, twin piston rear disc setup, tough as nails, LSD option's as they are used in 4wd's, such as jeep cherokees, DANA 30 diff....

cost about $200 from a wrecker complete,

blake

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666

I vote MS112. Sure you might have to make a jig to put the diff on / get the mounts welded on, but in the end god it is easier and better!....
    excuse my ignorance but is ms112 F-series? wonder how hard it would be to find cos mark II coronas i've given up on!

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_ra23
    excuse my ignorance but is ms112 F-series? wonder how hard it would be to find cos mark II coronas i've given up on!
    Yes, F series with disk.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

i just happened to measure a volvo 242 wagon diff on the weekend too. 1410mm from disc face to disc face

they are a good diff as in 05 nt said. heaps of aftermarket stuff avail in the states for em too
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

there atleast 1/2 the price of a F series, already have discs, PORVEN to last for ages (over 500,000ks in many a volvo)
    plus there as commons as lancers with full sick cannons,

i really dont know what the fuss is with the hilux/f series, there so expensive, plus you then need to do a disc conversion?

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

hehe ive got some hens teeth here.
    a jdm XT132 disc brake 1410mm f series, it runs 50mm wide bearings and bolts into a ra40 (measured against siktoys ra40) it doesnt have an lsd but there easy to get.
    from experience an f series is hard thing to break.
    if you can find one there worth the mulla.
    cheers
    linden

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

on a side note...i'll prolly be running stock diff (t series)for a while till i can afford to upgrade diff. How will it last with 0 hard launches but maybe a bit of spirited acceleration from a slow roll.

oh and its behind a stock 1ggte.

thanks all!

linden: if only i was that lucky ...

in 05 nt: i was trying to avoid doing any welding at all. Plus a hilux diff requires: cut and shift mounts, non-4WD ratio crown/pinion, rebuild LSD pack - which is a lot of cash that i dont have. And i'm not sure if they require shortening as well.

wilbo: the chump with the MA45 only has a povo model which from memory has a T-series. I have asked as well ... perhaps i should be more insistent? No point whining as he can successfully ignore his screaming kids so a short, fat whining guys won't even get on the radar...

User Conversion King

MS112 is probably the best one except youll have to budget in a 5stud front upgrade also.

the second best one if you want to stay 4 stud would be a tarago diff, YR22 . 1455 wide and probably cheap as well (who wants to use a people mover diff in their race car right?!) they are also 4.3 ratio off the bat - yay for skids

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_ra23
    on a side note...i'll prolly be running stock diff (t series)for a while till i can afford to upgrade diff. How will it last with 0 hard launches but maybe a bit of spirited acceleration from a slow roll.

oh and its behind a stock 1ggte.
    it will last for ages if you be sensible. it will even last many laucnches at the drags. mine only broke because i had 4 people in the car one day and hit full boost in 1st gear numerous times. usually the rear tyres would spin but this time they had grip(extra weight).
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster
    wilbo: the chump with the MA45 only has a povo model which from memory has a T-series. I have asked as well ... perhaps i should be more insistent? No point whining as he can successfully ignore his screaming kids so a short, fat whining guys won't even get on the radar...
    You sure? I thought all MA45 had F series. Might pay to take a look when you are next around

Cheers
    Wilbo

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

i was gonna suggest MA45/tarago F series, as thats what the sprinter boys seem to be putting behind their turbo motors, but they've all beaten me to it

Elmo.

wilbo: Norbie's database has T292 for MA45 <http://toyotaaxle.norbie.net/AxleList.aspx?ModelID=7>

I can recall reading somewhere (take that with a grain of salt) that there were two models (luxo & povo) of MA45 - one with T292+drums, another with Fxxx+disks

However, next time i'm over at the House of Chump (catchy hey ) i'll clamber underneath the wreck and peer at the buidl plate.

Brett/EldarO: the Tarago option might be good (am sourcing some 4x114.3 FWD 17" rims) but i'm after top end speed, not skids ... no really ... so i'd have to budget in new crown/pinion plus any shifting of mounts.

Remember, whole point of this is a chearp-arsed upgrade - plus Mick & I are saving up to sell up and move to Sunshine Coast next year so expenditure either needs an extreme amount of persuation or it doesn't occur at all. Am wondering how i'm going to afford a clutch, let alone a new diff...