Thread: 20v Emissions and exhaust noise testing? (NSW)

no need for a Domestic Engineer finney's Avatar

Default 20v Emissions and exhaust noise testing? (NSW)

Just wondering if anyone has information on whether an emissions test is required for an AE101 20v engine conversion into a AE92/3 corolla?
    I have contacted the RTA tech info line numerous times and been told different things each time.

1) no it is not needed
    2) it's at the discression of the engineer
    3) you have to have it done

each time i've asked for the answer in writing and been told that that is not possible, then upon asking top speak with a manager/superior i'm told not available or that they would call me back

My engineer has stated that it is not required due to the fact that the 20v was a low volume import and that it is the factory ecu. However some clown at the RTA who will remain nameless claims that the car has to have one along with an extra exhaust noise test. I have just found this out from a letter i recieved today, dated the 21/11/2005 i doubt it very much that it can take a few months to recieve a letter after it has been sent.

i've already had 2 stationary noise tests performed. one by the engineer and one by the shop that fitted the exhaust, both stating that the noise loevel is below 90dB. both of these are on record at the RTA yet it is not enough. Whats more is that the engineer claims that the car is not required to have a drive by exhaust test done.

Any info or links to where it is stated would be much appreciated.
    4AGTE SX - '4AGE' - 13.6 @ 103mph - 163fwkw @ 18psi - SOLD
    1998 JZX100 Tourer V - SOLD and now lives in radelaide
    1992 GTI - SOLD

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jonny Rochester's Avatar

Default Re: 20v Emissions and exhaust noise testing? (NSW)

Without looking up any propper info... I don't think you need your car fully engineered. Not in Tasmania at least, from the last time I looked into it. Generaly, the block is the same as the one you took out of the car. You are just changing engine number. The head is changed yes, but it makes little difference. Just maintain normal rego, and get the engine number changed on your rego papers and thats it. If the rest of the car is within normal limits (wheels only 2" bigger, no turbo or anything), then I wouldn't worry about it.

If your car gets inspected every year with emissions test (not sure about NSW), then natrualy the car has to pass the basic test anually.

Cars with wild mods that have been engineered (like a SR20 turbo in Datsun 1600 for example), I can't remember them ever having to have the emision test. The engineer just makes sure its a reasonable and safe combination of parts.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

a 20V into an AE92/3 does require engineering certification in NSW, as that engine was not offered in that chassis model from the manufacturer.

however - i have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the emissions test requirements!!
    i remember this story too, and my word is it retardedly contradictory from all fronts.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

i would just book the car in for an emissions test cant be that hard and isnt it free if you get it done at the epa so you cant loose really if its in the next few weeks i can drive it down there for you

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

from what i have heard you only need emissions test if you have an aftermarket ecu or the engine is by year older than the car that it has gone into.

Ie my car had no problems with RTA or engineer and I didn't need drive by noise test or emissions test.
    I did need a stationary noise test for the exhaust that was less than 90db however.
    This was for a 94 3sgte into a 1988 camry. To avoid drive by noise test it needs to have enclosed factory looking air box (no exposed pods) and to avoids emissions test all standard emissions controls and a cat converted needed to be fitted and standard ecu

Mullens at Cardiff NSW engineered it and many other with similar setups

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

each enginner has different views

when i got mine done one engineer wanted an emissions test the other didnt

so i went with the one that didnt

so just ring around some engineers and see what they say

no need for a Domestic Engineer finney's Avatar

the thing is i have already had the car engineered, however the RTA is not accepting the certificate as the engineer has been under audit since feb last year from what i have been told. however the RTA still had them listed on thier website as an authorised signatory in septmeber whe i was looking for one despite the fact that the list was updated in april they left them there.

to my understanding the RTA is leaving them there as being authorised however will not accept any certificate without looking into it. i've had an RTA inspections guy come over randomly to my house and asked to go over the car. i've let him look over it and the only thing he questioned was the stationary noise test and asked me to get a 2nd one done. i've done this at my own expensive of $40 and have a certificate stating that it is below the 90db limit.
    4AGTE SX - '4AGE' - 13.6 @ 103mph - 163fwkw @ 18psi - SOLD
    1998 JZX100 Tourer V - SOLD and now lives in radelaide
    1992 GTI - SOLD

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    a 20V into an AE92/3 does require engineering certification in NSW, as that engine was not offered in that chassis model from the manufacturer.

however - i have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the emissions test requirements!!
    i remember this story too, and my word is it retardedly contradictory from all fronts.
    I thought the line in the sand was a 15% increase in capacity or horsepower to require an engineers certificate? My 13B N/A in s1 rx7 didn't require engineering for this reason... I passed a blue slip under this premise too..

That said, quoted power output for a 20V is something outrageous anyway isn't it, so it would be above 15% power increase.

ed: You can always show them the before and after dyno slips
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Ok let's ignore the others who have not done this. I've done this myself and the can will get by with a blue slip. There is no need for an emission test either. I've spoken with engineers and they say everything needs to be engineered. The then spoke with the RTA and some compliance people and they were fine.

I put a 20v in my AE93 (SX hatch) all you need to do is get a blue slip from a blue slip place, get the reciepts and go register the car at the RTA. It will all be fine. You also need to update with the insurance company.

O one thing take off the 20v plastic cover when you take it to be blueslip cos some one stupid compliance guy told me that the cover said it was a 2ltr. When i explained to him he told me it needed to be engineered. Also note that when they check the engine & car they check the engine number. As the 20v is a 4age also they didn't have any problems with my conversion. My friend even got away with a 4gze without requiring it engineered.

Frontyard Programmer Backyard Mechanic davedave's Avatar

lol, if everyone is telling you to get it engineered and you've snuck it past the RTA by saying "I've changed the engine, but it's still a 4age 1.6Ltr, just out of a newer model", I'm sorry to break it to you, but that doesn't make it ok.
    I'd check your green slip in case there's a big caveat that says, 'vehicle must be registered' - because if you injure someone and end up being sued (which your green slip will cover), your insurance company is going to look for every way possible not to pay.

I'd say ring the RTA, explain EXACTLY what you are doing "engine never released in the car, blah blah blah" and get their word. Then if they say it's ok, get it in writing from them.

And as my engineer said, it doesn't matter what any of the engineers do/say/approve, it's still always up to the RTA.

Yeah RTA approved mine with the blueslip and i informed my insurance company also so i don't see where the issue is. I was even pullled over by the police and the only defect they gave me after searhing the whole car was for an oil leak that didn't exist.

I think i've been thoguh the 3rd degree and the way i did it seemed fine.

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Having to do things like take off covers, give sparing information, etc may get you through a rego inspection, but it won't save you from a massive insurance claim as an assessor nit picks over your car when you're in hospital
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

WHen i spoke with the insurance company they were fine. They said so long as the car is registered it didn't matter as the engine capacity did not change.

Oberst Koi-Master Backyard Mechanic

I believe the real crunch as to engineering would come if you were to mow down a pedestrian or sell your car to some kid who dorifts it into a pole and kills himself.

I got mine engineered for piece of mind. Though it's a bit more strict in victoria for cars built after 1986. I had to have a basic emissions test done.

As for a full emissions run, the cheapest is about $650ish from what I was told, with the possibility of a $2400 test... needless to say I was happy that a $30 tailpipe check was sufficient.