Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default super charging 22-re

has anyone attempted this mod?

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Default Re: super charging 22-re

lol no ? ..........

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I was considering this for a mates RA60. It's got the horrible 21R at the moment, so swapping the motor is the first step...I think the best way to do it is obviously to mount the SC somewhere it can get a belt drive (maybe where the a/c pump lives), plumb it thru a front mount, and back to the standard intake manifold. For sake of fuel, work out how much extra you need and run one or 2 auxillary injectors, maybe just after the TB, activated by a pressure switch. Is the 22R-E TB injection, or multi point? I'm not sure. After that just take care of the exhaust with a set of extractors etc, maybe a good cam, bit of a home-grind of the ports (there must be some info somewhere about this kind of work)...

So no, I haven't done it, but I've thought about it

Any more questions feel free to PM me or post it up

RM.

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

its probably be more cost effective to put a 1ggte in for the power your going to get.

22re arent the worlds most fantistic performance engines unfortunatly

For sure, I'd agree totally. On the other hand, I imagine that you should be able to (comfortably) get 200hp out of the 22R-E, without spending big (as long as the motor was strong in the first place). This is assuming that you're capable of doing all the manufacturing and setup work yourself, and are willing to devote a fair bit of time to it. The only other thing is legality...it's really easy to get permits for a supercharger, much harder for an engine conversion....

But for outright power and ease, the 1G for sure (or a 1J w00t)

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom-KE55
    its probably be more cost effective to put a 1ggte in for the power your going to get.

22re arent the worlds most fantistic performance engines unfortunatly
    Unless you were doing almost all the work yourself it'd probably be cheaper and much more potential by putting in a 1ggte.

Another alternative for a little kicks in the pants would be to scour ebay and american 4x4/Truck forums for a OEM turbo manifold for a 22rte. Not great but for a little fun and be probably cheaper than a custom supercharged setup. Someone was selling a genuine 22rte on here when the forums first started.

It wouldn't be hugely powerful but would be great around down with plenty of punch down low. A little headwork and some cams and you could have a decent little package.
    If in doubt power out

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

I nearly supercharged my 21R.... had the sc14 in the bay and mounted to a bracket.... even had it driving off a belt but never plumbed it in

Just go 1G, unless you desire a better car?

Midnight Mechanic Backyard Mechanic hybrid_turbo's Avatar

theres a place in the US that makes all sorts of parts for the 20r/21r/22r series engines
    and they make bolt on turbo and supercharger setups, theres a guy on celica-gts.com
    thats doing it and hes allmost finished

heres the link to the supercharger kits and turbo kits http://www.toyotacatalog.net/m1webge...spx?Class=1641

Midnight Mechanic Backyard Mechanic hybrid_turbo's Avatar

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

www.lcengineering.com do performance parts for 20/21/22R and RZ motors.... but you would have to be nutty to bother

mullett: how can you get 200hp out of a 22RE without spending big??

Nath #347 Backyard Mechanic PHOBIA's Avatar

Mate, if your keen to have a dig, than go for it, something different and they are a strong and torque motor. With the right mods, not cheep, no, but it can be done and there is potential in the 22R-E. Check my build up page to see how to build a 22R-E to handle 25psi.
    1986 RT-142 Corona. Taking the phrase “WTF”, to a whole new level......

PHOBIA. Fear of.........investing your soul into customizing a "f@#kin what" a Corona???
    Click to see PHOBIA

That's basically a very rough estimation. A 22R-E is 2.4 litre (I think), and you should be able to get 100hp/ltr out of a worked NA motor. An SC14 can handle 200hp, so I think that'd be the cheapest way to get that much power. When I say without spending big, I mean doing it all yourself, and assuming that you start with a strong, fresh motor...or it won't last long. I'm pretty sure you could get more than that too, if you were keen enough to make the turbo manifold and use a cheap and cheerful turbo setup...

RM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

A 22R-E needs a shitload of work to get decent airflow through the van-spec cylinder head. While it would certainly be possible to get 200hp out of a blown 22R, I can't see it being cheaper or easier than a 1G-GTE swap, which has 210hp right out of the box.

OTOH if you feel like doing it just for the "why the hell not" factor, then knock yourself out.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

It would certainly be interesting. I would think that it would be much like a truck engine with massive torque pretty much off the line but somewhat limited capacity for revs.

If you want to keep things cheap then you really have to do most/all of the work yourself. With a supercharged setup this can be a little tricky as alignment is very important if you want things to work well for any period of time. Nothing is more annoying than spitting belts or killing supercharger bearings on a regular basis. If you have access to machine shop equipment and know how to use it then it could be plenty of fun. If not a ghetto turbo system is probably the way to go.

Its pretty easy to 'bodge' a turbo setup in place that will work reasonably well at a moderate cost with little more than bent pipes and a bit of welding.

Either way you decide to go good luck with the project
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Mate, id like to see you do it.

Firstly, the 22RE is a low rev motor, so the airflow isnt nearly as much of an issue, as its going to be at low RPM. A smallish pulley wheel on the SC14 is sure to build up boost early.

Secondly, horsepower is a bit of a gimmiky method of measuring engine output. Horsepower is a function of RPM and torque, so really to get 200HP out at 3500rpm you need twice the torque of a motor putting out 200hp at 7000rpm. This gives the low rev motor MUCH better low end acceleration, to the stage where with the right gearing, it can outdo the high RPM motor in a drag race. Also, this extra torque makes it easier to get wheels spinning and keep them that way, ie drifting.

So... I say have fun doin up the 22RZE

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.