Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TA23 Mechanical advice required

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice mr_unix's Avatar

Default TA23 Mechanical advice required

Howdy all,

I just got her yesterday and she's a beauty, body rivaling that of Claudia Shiffer and a face more beautiful than a real life Elle McPherson. The beauty though is skin deep as she now requires a lot of mechanical loving. And PLEASE do not flame me as you did in the "For Sale" section, I am not RAPING a nun, I am only making her better than what she is while leaving the whole image of Originality there.

- Breaks are really bad, so I need advice as to who to go to and who is reputable to first fit better disks and calipers up front and change the rear drums to disks. While changing the breaks out back, I would also like to change the diff and all the particulars around it.

- Suspension work with coil-overs with adjustable camber etc etc. KYB and Koni comes to mind, but I need a bit of advice from the seasoned heads here to push me in the right direction.

- Engine.....WELL....I PROMISE to keep it TOYOTA! After a debate with my wife, we have decided to keep it Toyota blood, the only thing is, I dont like the 3TGTEU because its potential is little off when compared to a good 2Litre such as a SR20DET. To fit a 3SGTE requires an endless supply of money, because its converting from a FWD to a RWD. I really need some constructive advice on this one, because it is SO EASY to fit a SR20, but so little cost effective choice is available when it comes to a Toyota 2litre turbo.

- Computer and Electricals. My aim is to keep it very tidy and without much cabling showing. I'm aiming for an aftermarket computer, but will make the decision based on the engine I get. I will need to find a reputable auto electrician, and I think there is one floating somewhere on these forums if I'm not mistaken.

- Fabrication. Things like Intercooler, fuel systems and exhaust, I am very lost here, I might have an engineering degree, but its in Telecommunications and not this sort of stuff. I really need some good advice here.

- Budget, well thats debatable based on how much I do myself and how much I "contract" out. Engine work for example will be all given to someone else to handle. Break and suspension stuff I can do a lot myself as I have done on other of my "projects" such as my *cough* '92 Camry V6 *cough* that ate WRX's for breakfast and V8's for dinner. Electrical, I am a luddite same with diff work.

So as you can see, I am a "noob" as Riceburna called me, but you can be sure this will be done with quality in mind and a show car will be the result. My ultimate aim is to have a drop dead gorgeous Celica that is tamed but still has the balls to run a 13sec quarter. It will NOT be a daily driver.

Btw, thanks to Paul for giving me this vehicle for such a low price too, the work on it immaculate. The few bumps and bruises here or there is nothing when looking at the whole package, $4K was well worth it. When she's finished, Paul has the first dibs on being a "outsider" to drive it.

Here are todays pics:

TA22 Junkie Backyard Mechanic Silly Rabbit's Avatar

Default Re: TA23 Mechanical advice required

It's spelt B-R-A-K-E. Breaks are what happens when said brake is not applied . Oh and best of luck with the project. I think you have the best starting point for what you want to do.
    “From the five years, 1968-73, if you were an F1 driver at that time, there was a very likely chance that you would have died.”
    - Jackie Stewart
    (now that's my type of racing )

I've also been reading through the endless amounts of posts here, some good info. Will use some of the ideas.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

front brakes do an effing search! rona pug hilux upgrade
    rear brakes see my thread on t series rear end brake conversion/upgrade

with the sr20 search and you will freaking find it has all been covered, your shifter will come up right in the middle of the floorpan crossmember

computer and wiring? learn to read a diagram or failing that pm sideshow although as you would expect he charges for his work

you are building a show car.... and you have a budget.... mmmk tripple it and that should cover it
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

effing thanks for the info

as for budget, its fairly open ended.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Give him a break guys, the search function often doesn't bring up everything you want, it takes a bit of getting used to.

mr_unix, a bit of advice I might offer would be to do some searching of the forums, particularly in the members rides section and when you find a TAXX or RAXX that has something done to it you think you might like to fit or do to your car you can PM that person, get their feedback and ask any additional questions that you can't find answers to in their thread.

That way you might get that extra bit of info that might help sway your decisions one way or the other

Good luck with it, that's a very nice TA23.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

As YLD said, plus you can check out the following thread that shows some good technical posts for the Classic Celica....

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24510

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Thanks YLD-16L.

Yup, have been doing the searching for the last 4 hours and reading through the posts. Some those are fairly detailed and give good info, some of them are beyond my capabilities and will have to ask for more info.

On a side note, is it normally this hostile on these forums? I know that this is a fairly anonymous place, so people grow bigger balls on here than they normally have in real life. Its my second venture in posting here and I get ripped to shreds. First post from "Silly Rabbit", before he edited it, and already an attack on my "credibility".

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Don't take anything personally mate, like you said, everyone is 6'6" on the internet

Be sure to set up your own members ride when you get time and update it when you make progress on your car, that will get those who are interested in YOUR car keen to see what you are up to.

Remember too that you're experiencing a few people's personal opinions, not those represented by everyone on the forum
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by mr_unix
    On a side note, is it normally this hostile on these forums? I know that this is a fairly anonymous place, so people grow bigger balls on here than they normally have in real life. Its my second venture in posting here and I get ripped to shreds. First post from "Silly Rabbit", before he edited it, and already an attack on my "credibility".
    No, not usually. Although we do have a few keyboard warriors. I guess a few people got their noses out of joint when they missed out on a high quality stock classic Celica, and then got more upset that you were/are going to mod it. Funny thing is, that most of those that complain are the very people who own modified classics themselves. That's a nice touch of irony that amuses me a tad.

Anyway, you're here now, you got your car.. and it's your car and you can do with it whatever takes your fancy.

I'm more into the restoration scene, as opposed to modding, but I will offer advice and help whenever I can.

If you are copping flak please PM the mods and they will look into it.

A reminder to all and sundry... we all have different tastes and expectations. While you may not agree with what someone does to their car, the least you can do is respect their decisions and motives, and offer the support and friendship that we would all like extended to ourselves.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Have you looked in the the 1GGTE option? Its a 2lt 6cyl engine that has been put into 23s many times. I know of quite a few pulling mid 12s with little or no mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Turdinator
    Have you looked in the the 1GGTE option? Its a 2lt 6cyl engine that has been put into 23s many times. I know of quite a few pulling mid 12s with little or no mods...
    That has crossed my mind actually as I've been now trawling though the search function for hours. There is a number of people that have done it, which makes it easier for me to get things done.

Btw, I wouldnt mind using people from these forums to get things done for me, as it seems a large number of people have a huge amount of experience and run their own shops. I should be getting some quotes over the next few weeks for the engine conversion work.

It seems also that there is a negative attitude on here from people when even mentioning "crossbreeding" such as a Ca18 into a old school Corolla, but then as soon as the job is done and pics are up, the SAME people who were abusing in a previous post then love and idolise the car. I just find that really strange and hypocritical.

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_unix
    It seems also that there is a negative attitude on here from people when even mentioning "crossbreeding" such as a Ca18 into a old school Corolla, but then as soon as the job is done and pics are up, the SAME people who were abusing in a previous post then love and idolise the car. I just find that really strange and hypocritical.
    Generally speaking people on TM don't like cross breeding. But don't let that stop you. I have a mate with a TA22 with a SR20DET in it and it flies. PM Sleepin22 and ask him about it. Just make your car what you want it to be. If you make what others want you'll just end up being disappointed...

Having said that i personally prefer not to cross breed. But i prefer not to have a turbo either. Each to there own.

Quote Originally Posted by Turdinator

But i prefer not to have a turbo either. Each to there own.
    Can I ask why? Is it a personal choice or mechanical?

My daily driver is a 2L Turbo Diesel Audi and I just love the hit when the turbo spools up and kicks in. I dont think the car would pull the skin off a rice pudding if it didnt have a turbo. (I did chip the car so it now has about 23% more power, dynoed pre and post the chip)