Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spigot bush mobile phone pidgeon...?

Toymods Club Member #274 Backyard Mechanic Rallystanza's Avatar

Red face Spigot bush mobile phone pidgeon...?

Hey Guys,

In the recently purchased 4AGE Splinter, i have noticed a noise eminating fron the rear of the engine, more to the bottom. The noise is much easier to pin point when under the car.

The noise only occurs after more than approx 30mins of driving.

This noise sounds like a pidgeon that has swallowed a mobile phone and is caught up inside the engine.

The noise comes on and off in a rhythmic manner, only at revs below 2000rpm.

I am thinking this may be a spiggot bush....

I have lubed all belts.

Any ideas, A long shot i know.

Jeremy

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Default Re: Spigot bush mobile phone pidgeon...?

let the pidgeon out
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

if it's the spigot in the flywheeel, it can't make noise when you are in gear.. only when you push in the clutch, as otherwise crank and gearbox input are at same speed...

does clutching make any difference to your pidgeon?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Does it happen with the clutch out and the gearbox in neutral?

If it does then it is not the spigot bearing as it does not spin with the clutch out in neutral.

Perhaps try pulling the clutch fork (and hence throw out bearing) back a little, perhaps the noise if the thrust bearing slightly spinning on the pressure plate...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Pidgoen seems to be trapped and therefore can only be released upon rectification of mobile phone signal strength issues, quote unquote TELSTRA.

On another note,

The spiggot is in the back of the crank on a 4A isnt it??

The clutch in or out doesnt effect the pidgeons attitude once he start complaining about the service.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Rallystanza
    The clutch in or out doesnt effect the pidgeons attitude once he start complaining about the service.

Jeremy
    Well that rules out the spigot and front gearbox bearing.

Try what I suggested with the clutch fork...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Will have a crack, thanks,

Any other ideas?

Jeremy

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yeah, it could be the front bearing on the T50. If its an engine conversion from an FWD engine then it wont have a spigot bearing...
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Sounds more like a diff or wheel bearing.
    Take it to a half decent mechanic and see they'll tell you which in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Yeah, it could be the front bearing on the T50. If its an engine conversion from an FWD engine then it wont have a spigot bearing...
    I would have thought that pressing the clutch in (and effectively disengaging the gearbox) would have an effect on the noise if it was the front gearbox (or any other) gearbox bearing...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myne
    Sounds more like a diff or wheel bearing.
    Take it to a half decent mechanic and see they'll tell you which in a few minutes.
    LOL, the point of toymods is that many people here have forgotten more than a mechanic will ever know

he said the noise is from rear of engine, so dif is unlikely....
    he didn't say if it is with car moving or not tho....

do you have oil pressure? since you suggested no noise above 2000rpm...

checked oil level/has new oil or something equally as simple and easy to overlook?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

I have the EXACT same problem on my JDM 4AG, seems to happen only if i warm it up really quick (ie. give it a mini-thrashing while its still semi-cold), although happens at other times too, but only after the engine has been running for a while. Also if I dont get the sound while driving, when I turn it off I get a long squawk a few seconds after i turn the ignition key off.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Jez, I've been thrashing the hell out of mine for over a month with that sound happening often and it hasn't effected the performance of the engine one bit. Worried me for a while, then I learned to ignore it, but if someone finds an answer I'd definately like to know too.

Cheers,
    Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

OK.

Oil levels are all good.

The engine was and still is in RWD format, meaning it has a spigot bearing and if FWD motors are converted a spigot bearing is usually employed in the process.

It happens when the car moves and when stationary, clutch in and clutch out.

I think spigot because the spigot bearing is in the back of the crank therefore is always spinning when the engine is running.

The one thing that does stop is is when you engage the clutch to take off or simply accelarate in the gear your in, the noise only seems to be occuring in 4th at this stage and 4th i the only gear that gives me low enough revs at around 60 or just below for pidgoen to call.

Also when you turn the car off when it is in pidgeon mode, even if the pidgeon is on its 2 second breaks, the noise comes on as you stop the engine.

Keep em coming,

Jeremy

Junior Member Domestic Engineer RobertoX's Avatar

I think spigot because the spigot bearing is in the back of the crank therefore is always spinning when the engine is running.
    The spigot is NOT rotating at all when the clutch is engaged, the flywheel and the gearbox input shaft are locked together.

If its an engine conversion from FWD then they should have added a spiggot, if they havent it might be the front bearing in the t50 as this is likely to go if the spiggot is left out.

I have lubed all belts.
    like your fan and alternator belt? Don't do this

Junior Member Domestic Engineer myne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    LOL, the point of toymods is that many people here have forgotten more than a mechanic will ever know
    Not much use if it's forgotten
    My point really is for strange noises, nothing beats hearing it. Mechanics also have hoists to get the wheels off the ground, and good ones will have flexible tube they use like a stethoscope. It's nice to have the car in the air, wheels turning and get underneath to have a listen.