Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: turbo on a 18rgeu

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: turbo on a 18rgeu

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    ahhhhh, my thread is now i fighting ring, so what your saying, is i could run a turbo on my standard 18rgeu at like 10 pound and it would be all fine.
    with a good tune it would be a nice street engine that you could have alot of fun with. just keep the tune SAFE and it will be a nice reliable car for you .
    also make sure the engine requirements are met as far as fueling, cooling and lubrication are concerned .no boost till tuned .

cheers
    linden
    Last edited by The Witzl; 25-06-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: cleaning thread

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    ahhhhh, my thread is now i fighting ring, so what your saying, is i could run a turbo on my standard 18rgeu at like 10 pound and it would be all fine.
    You need to say what Turbo you want to use on it before we can tell you how much Boost (Psi) you can run safely ?

With the standard ECU, I doubt you could safely add an extra 20-30Hp without running lean..... So with that in mind, just Bolt it all on but run in NA mode to get it to the Dyno or track to be tuned.

But once you have the Injectors, Fuel pump (Maybe) and Programmable ECU sorted, the only thing limiting power will be the standard Piston ring lands which I'ld say will let go well before you find the limit of the stock Camshaft, which in NA Engines is always more aggresive then the factory Turbo variants, but better for outright power.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

also the lower compression doesnt mean more boost,
    - the design of the chamber has alot to do with how detonation prone engines are. An example of this is the nissan motors the 18LE (GM) has a comp ratio of 8.8:1 whereas the CA18DET has 8.9:1 now by your "logic" or lack there of you could run alot of boost through both engines (assuming nothing breaks).....WRONG the chamber design of the 18LE is detonation prone while the ca18 is not

sorrry for the use of the neeeessan engines people i happen to have these figures lying around
    Last edited by The Witzl; 25-06-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: cleaning out the arguments
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

i cant belive this hasn't been brought up yet either as there are/were a few of us building such engines:

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...=18rgte+manual

failing this kristian, i suggest you PM justengt8 and grab his ph number off him, i'm sure he'd be more than willing to tell you what is involved as he is the resident 18rgte building extroadinare and a nice bloke too (with lots of rep as it has it)
    Last edited by The Witzl; 25-06-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by abently
    You need to say what Turbo you want to use on it before we can tell you how much Boost (Psi) you can run safely ?

With the standard ECU, I doubt you could safely add an extra 20-30Hp without running lean..... So with that in mind, just Bolt it all on but run in NA mode to get it to the Dyno or track to be tuned.

But once you have the Injectors, Fuel pump (Maybe) and Programmable ECU sorted, the only thing limiting power will be the standard Piston ring lands which I'ld say will let go well before you find the limit of the stock Camshaft, which in NA Engines is always more aggresive then the factory Turbo variants, but better for outright power.
    This is all Kristian needs to know, apart from how much Power the stock Piston ring lands are good for.

We can all agree the 8.3:1 Static CR does not need changing unless he decides to run a 500+Hp Turbo on anything but 98 Ron Fuel.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

This thread has been cleaned..... lets stay on topic please.

ON TOPIC - what sort of manifold and turbo have you got for your engine? You really need to work out what power you wish to achieve, and see what kind of budget is required to achieve that.

At a minimum, you are going to need some larger injectors and a front mount intercooler. The justjap 450x300 intercoolers are a perfect fit for an RA2* celica... and some RX7 turbo injectors should do more than enough for what you want to achieve by the sounds of things.

Also - be VERY VERY careful of detonation with the stock pistons. They are very unforgiving to pinging and detonation... ring lands will peel off the pistons!
    Last edited by The Witzl; 25-06-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I also forgot to add my sentiments regarding the head gasket - i completely agree with JustenGT8: there is no need for a copper gasket.

The o-ringed block will be of great benefit with higher boost levels, and the stock Toyota head gasket will work perfectly for your needs. They are only $60 from toyota anyway
    ...... butt scratcher?!