Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18R-GEU Help

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18R-GEU Help

Sorry fella's i am new not sure if this is the right spot or not i guess it is.
    I bought a 4wd hilux recently and it has an 18r-geu in it which is supposed to be efi from what i have read on here but has twin solex's.
    When i bought it it ran a bit rough, a mate had some delorto (spelling?) carbs he was gunna put on it for me cos we thought the carbs may be buggered, anyways as he started stripping it he realised that under the air filter was a gas hat that we couldnt see, but no gas, so effectively had no breathing at all.
    took that off and it ran a little better now that it was actually getting some air.
    Anyways went for a drive after work today to do sum 4wd'n and it started running like a bucket of shit to put it lightly.
    Can't push the throttle in barely at all other wise it coughs n splutters and backfires and all sorts of shit.
    Not 100% sure what the problem is as none of my mates can get around to see it until 2moro maybe.
    any clues or tips would be handy, we think the timing but god knows it ran sorta of alrite n then just turned to shit mid drive.

Anyway, any help appreciated

mark
    Last edited by BFCK97; 29-05-2007 at 10:06 PM.

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: 18R-GEU Help

ignition

spark plugs, coil, dizzy, leads.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Domestic Engineer J0RD0's Avatar

take the jets out and give em a good blast with carby clean, or even buy some fuel system cleaner

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Remove the wing nut from the top of the carbies, this should release a small cover plate. Under there you should see some brass jets. Make sure all these are tight, and that the peice of aluminium they all bolt into isnt loose (jet block assembly).

If this does not fix the problem, remove your distributor cap and check for corrosion, scummy deposits on all the contact point isnide the dizzy. Pay particular attention to all the brass peices. Give them a quick sand of by hand with some emry paper. Then you need to check the restistance on your ballas resistor. It may also help to slap in a new set of points and a condensor. These items usually cost about $10-$20 from repco and are the same as an 18rc item.

Make sure your dizzy clamp has not come loose and your dizzy is floppping around also. Sounds like the timing as way retarded.

well thanks for the help would have never thought to check the carbs (am more of an efi person, last few cars have been efi v6 and v8 holdens)
    the 2 biggest jets were flapping round all over the place.
    have been lookin around and looks like an efi conversion is on the way.
    heres wat the engine is in, may interest sum people, pretty rare LN40 swb hilux, 1980 model.
    Last edited by BFCK97; 29-05-2007 at 09:39 PM.

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

you can tighten the jets you know. It will probably go just fine then.

yeh they will be tightened while i collect parts for the efi.
    i will get a picture of the jets but old mate who had it before me has stuffed one and will need to get sum1 to give them a tune cos they vibrated pretty much wide open.

does anybody know what ecu i can use to run with an efi system off an ra23 celica?
    i have found an injection setup everything minus the ecu.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

an 18RGEU ECU failing that a 22RE one should work too

lol yeh i figured that but what model cars can i expect to find them in.
    i am new to the whole toyota thing.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Can be found in RA 65 Celica and RT 142 Corona.
    Cheers Brett.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

The above is true for 22R-E ECU's but that will require a fair amount of fiddling to work with an 18R-GEU. An actual 18R-GEU ECU is much harder to find and it's unlikely you'll find a whole car that was originally fitted with one, but for the record they were found in RA63 Celicas and various JDM Coronas and Carinas of the same era.

Your other option of course is aftermarket EFI (eg Microtech) but it depends on the budget of course.

budget aint that great its just a daily 4by that gets a bit of weekend work.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Well FWIW you can get a new Microtech and all the required gear for around $1200-1300. Install it yourself, pay a few hundred for tuning, done - and it will run heaps better than with an original or 22R ECU. Something to think about.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

.... OOOOORRRRR.... you can go the whole DIY option - Megaquirt-2.

I run my 18R-GE on a megaquirt-2 ECU, which controls both ignition timing and fuel. Getting your head around tuning can be a bit of a time consuming and tedious task, but once you get it you will have a whole new understanding and appreciation for how EFI works from the ground up.

Would be happy to share my experience on that field, but it IS a big jump into the deep end, so to speak.

Otherwise a Microtech LT10s (or 2nd hand LT8) will do the job nicely, and you can pay someone else to tune it for you
    ...... butt scratcher?!

how much we talkin here for the microtechs, another option is to throw in the old v6 from my commodore ute but its near on 2k for the conversion stuff.

it has also been suggested by a mate that i put my 304 efi v8 in it but i think i'd probly hurt myself with that much power