Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA2x steering box tech Q's

Sheebz Automotive Grease Monkey Gleno28's Avatar

Default RA2x steering box tech Q's

Hey peoples,
    There has been some talk for a while of a power steering box for RA celicas, using a MX61 item with minor steering shaft mods. I know somebody did a sketch etc on the old forum.

Just curious if anyones done the mod and how successfull it is (heard those old power steering units were quite sluggish). Not looking to go full rack set up just yet... And has anyone had their standard unit rebuilt? who would do that kind of work do you recon?

Also, by the look of things, my RT132 struts have shorter steering arms? than the standard RA28 items, i guess this makes it harder to steer ?? and should they be different/should i change back? Might have to ask the audience with steering experience...TurboRA28?

A friend of mine also somehow managed to almost crack off her steering box from the chassis rail?? Anyone heard of or done that??
    Enough questions for now...
    Cheers
    Glen.

User Conversion King

Default Re: RA2x steering box tech Q's

i was the one that put a MX62 power steering box in a RA40. pretty straight foward to do and it worked fine.

apparently the RA23/28's have a slightly different steering box, mainly just the hole pattern being different from the RA40/MX62.

shorter steering arms means quicker steering response and less turns for lock-to-lock
    hello

Well your in luck my friend, i finished putting my ma45 box (same as mx62) into my ra28 2 days ago, contact me on [email protected] for more details as i have not done a write up yet.
    Steve

Awesome guys, cheers, i'm away for a few days so i'll get into the q's when i'm back
    Thanks
    Glen.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Steve I would be keen to see what you have done as far as your conversion goes. It's something I wouldn't mind doing down the track.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    i was the one that put a MX62 power steering box in a RA40. pretty straight foward to do and it worked fine.

apparently the RA23/28's have a slightly different steering box, mainly just the hole pattern being different from the RA40/MX62.

shorter steering arms means quicker steering response and less turns for lock-to-lock
    I can confirm this, the bolt holes dont line up, same as the idler arms. TA22 seem to be identical to RA23/28 tho. Shorter steering arms will make it harder to turn, but the power steering should more than counter this.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 79GT
    Well your in luck my friend, i finished putting my ma45 box (same as mx62) into my ra28 2 days ago, contact me on [email protected] for more details as i have not done a write up yet.
    Steve
    would be very interested in hearing more about this as well. if you do a writeup would you be able to post it here?

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

I have read conflicting comments on this forum and the old one now.

I used to believe that the power steering from a MX62 does not bolt on to the original location on an RA40 due to incorrect captive nuts/thread locations, but it seems like its the RA23/28 that does not fit instead.

User Conversion King

i can confirm 100% that a MX62 cressida will bolt into an RA40.
    hello

Thanks Brett, yes you are spot on, I checked this today at the wreckers.
    It's the RA23/28 that the MX62 p/s box does not fit, its good for the two holes on one side, but for the single hole on the other, the bracket is about the width of the hole away from the sweet spot.

Wierdo Pervert Grease Monkey fuzz!'s Avatar

doh!

are there any other options for RA23/28 owners for a bolt-up power steering box replacement?

finding an MA45 at a wreckers sounds a bit.. err.. impossible to me.
    Last edited by fuzz!; 05-02-2006 at 11:54 AM.

that's a bugger... might have to go the rebuild then, anyone know a place in Brisbane (who would do steering stuff?)

Cheers for the wrecker work ra23celica and brett
    sending out a few reps
    Glen.

Hold on a minute fella's, its not all over yet, another thought has come to mind.
    When I trial fitted the RA23 str box to the MX62 chassis rail, I used the two holes on one side which matched up perfectly.
    The third lone/single hole on the other side, did not reach out far enough on the str box to get to the chassis hole - there was daylight in-between them.
    What this means, depending on the MX62 pwr str box, is that they may be enough metal on it to drill this third hole inside the spot where it currently sits, in order to match the RA23/28 original location.
    Does anyone have a MX62 power str box they can donate to me to test this out? I have a machine shop close to me that can do this work properly.

In my RA28 the powersteering is fitted with a 1ggze, and Yes, you are correct but just drilling the holes doesnt allow the power steering box to just mount up, if u drill that extra hole out (as i have) you will find that the aligment of hte steering column and the box its self is way off, i used 3 solid steel 4mm spacers that i made up to put between the box and the body which aligned the steering column and box (brought hte box out from the body), i then that to deal with the fact that the steering column and coupling that it rotates in fowled the steering box, hence having to make up 2 more spacers between the 4 bolt plate that secures the bottom of the steering column to the body, and the body its self, it would be easier to explain with diagrams, but as going through it step by step there wasnt really a way around it. Spacers seemed the only way. For those of you who understand, good luck for those who dont youll have to wait till i do a write up with diagrams.
    Steve

Thanks Steve, I did not know about the alignment problems in this set-up. Was it you who grabbed that pwr str box from the MX62 at Nick-A-Part in Kewdale???
    :-)
    Anyway - I must get my car and me over to your place and have a drool at your work.
    Cheers,
    Mith.