Thread: Motorcycle shock dimensions (rear)

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default Motorcycle shock dimensions (rear)

Hi Guys (and Girls)

I'm chasing the dimensions of the rear shocks on motorbikes!

I'm thinking of a setup that might be possible if a shock is available....(I accessed shock dimensions for car shocks with little drama before, not having so much luck with moto stuff! ).

The shocks would have the valving removed so that they simply acted as guides for the springs

Ideally something that has a compressed length of less than 165mm (6.5") would be excelent!

Also if anyone knows moto shock spring ID that would be nice info to have as well!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: Motorcycle shock dimensions (rear)

may i ask what for, as the only shock that small ive seen was on a peewee 50.

One option for adj rear suspension height on traling arm IRS (MA61, MZ1x etc!)

Cheers
    Wilbo

grab a threaded sleeve from a coilover conv kit and the lockplates and your done dude .
    the top cone the bumpstop mounts to gets drilled out, then put a reinforcing plate in with a 8x1.25 nut tacked to the centre bolt bumpstop to this to centre the spring.
    weld the adj sleeve to the swing arm, thread on locks put the spring in and roberts your fathers brother.

ok its a little more complicated than that but pm me for more info

60mm id springs in variety of rates from otomoto and other places dirt cheap.

I took a video of the rear geometry! The arc of movement is huge...and I wasn't that keen on trying to do it with just a spring on its own....I was thinking that it might be possible to use a small moto shock, that way the spring only has to work in the directions it is designed for and the shock would just act as a guide (remove the valving)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRuGqlq1Xss <-----Click to see video!

Pics & video are taken from bump stop to full extension...

Cheers
    Wilbo

in reality you should only need 150-180mm of travel and if you look at most aftermarket 60 id springs they wont give you much more than this. if you can hold off for a couple of weeks ill do teh rear of the sz10 and post up some pics for you .

i had the same setup in the rolla and measured total travel (170mm) then set the diff half way and welded the perches on. (still had standard top arms causing shiteloads of diff arc)