Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: super charging 22-re

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Re: super charging 22-re

Interesting point about HP, but there's a very real reason why it's used. Gearing comes into it...If you've got 8000rpm to play with, you only need half the torque of a 4000rpm motor to do the same work, because you can double the gear ratio, hence the effective torque at the wheels is the same, as is the work that can be done. That's why HP exists as a measurement of power....

RM.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Mate, id like to see you do it.

Firstly, the 22RE is a low rev motor, so the airflow isnt nearly as much of an issue, as its going to be at low RPM. A smallish pulley wheel on the SC14 is sure to build up boost early.

Secondly, horsepower is a bit of a gimmiky method of measuring engine output. Horsepower is a function of RPM and torque, so really to get 200HP out at 3500rpm you need twice the torque of a motor putting out 200hp at 7000rpm. This gives the low rev motor MUCH better low end acceleration, to the stage where with the right gearing, it can outdo the high RPM motor in a drag race. Also, this extra torque makes it easier to get wheels spinning and keep them that way, ie drifting.

So... I say have fun doin up the 22RZE

Cheers, Owen

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Firstly, the 22RE is a low rev motor, so the airflow isnt nearly as much of an issue, as its going to be at low RPM. A smallish pulley wheel on the SC14 is sure to build up boost early.
    Airflow is nearly directly proportional to horsepower, so I wouldn't dismiss this point too quickly. If the 22R can't flow much air above 3500rpm it's just not going to make power - not unless you can find a way to get eleventy billion psi into it without sending the pistons into orbit. Revs don't matter, it's all about airflow!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

And there is also the fact that the 1g would be a nice, smooth, drivable motor and to top it off, heck might even get fuel economy! (I don't recall seeing a 22re with awesome fuel economy recently )...

Technology is a beaut thing people, I for one am happy to embrace it

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    And there is also the fact that the 1g would be a nice, smooth, drivable motor and to top it off, heck might even get fuel economy! (I don't recall seeing a 22re with awesome fuel economy recently )...

Technology is a beaut thing people, I for one am happy to embrace it

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Hey don't be dissing my 15L per 100kms in the city now, heck the supra that weighs more and has more than twice the power whilst still running significantly richer uses less fuel. In that terms alone the 1ggte would be worth it.

In a couple years the conversion would pay itself off
    If in doubt power out

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Airflow is nearly directly proportional to horsepower, so I wouldn't dismiss this point too quickly. If the 22R can't flow much air above 3500rpm it's just not going to make power - not unless you can find a way to get eleventy billion psi into it without sending the pistons into orbit. Revs don't matter, it's all about airflow!
    With a minor home port job (which any monkey with an electric drill, sandpaper and die grinding burr can do on a 22RE) you will easily get 200hp out of a 22RE head. Then again, the comparison was made to a 100hp/L NA motor... you put a couple of pound of boost in, and your ports will flow a lot more than what they will in NA format. So, with minor backyard porting, correct pulley choice and the other associated work, you could easily get a good low rpm motor. Oh yeah, with a higher rpm motor not requiring as much torque and using lower gearing etc, reliability, balancing etc become more of an issue. As much as i love to have a fang in a high RPM NA car cause of its fantastic throttle response etc, low rpm torquey motors still make the best burnout cars, and still last longer than thier high rpm counterparts(yeah, holden and fraud motors dont last long, but thats cause they are soft POS's, make them with japanese metals, and they will last forever)

So yeah, both cases have merits, but i think too many ppl doubt the humble 22RE's capabilities. And yeah, i think that a 22RZE can be done on a budget.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Yeah, but the main reason a low-RPM torque monster will last longer is the displacement. If you want to make HP/Ltr, you've gotta boost it or rev it...either way you're stressing the motor. So a bigger, less highly-strung motor will last longer for the same HP, but then you've got a bigger motor...and you could get MORE power...hehehe

RM.

So yeah, both cases have merits, but i think too many ppl doubt the humble 22RE's capabilities.
    That doubt might be based on a suspicious lack of fast 22R's getting around.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Let's get this straight - the 22R is a bus motor.

That said there are plenty of Yanks that decided to work them and get them going (sort of) quickly at great expense.

Here in Australia, we are flushed with choice. For a fraction of the cost, we can buy and fit a motor that from factory has more power than some highly strung tractor engine.

For another $500 odd, you could buy the donk to which the SC14 was bolted and have yourself a party.

But, hey, your cash. Knock yourself out.

pedro sanchez wannabee Domestic Engineer Dom-AE71's Avatar

True Norbie - if your in Australia

Im pretty sure they use the 22re's for drag racing in America though becasue the blocks are so tough. unsure of what king of modification is done to them but im sure if someone bothered to search they'd be able to find SOME info on them

You're probably thinking of LC Engineering, they make kits to get crazy power out of 22R's. No-one's saying it can't be done - hell, you can make crazy power out of ANY engine with enough money and development - but have a look at the prices on their web site and you'll see why people don't play with 22R's around here. As GT so rightly put it, we can get much better engines with more power for a fraction of the cost of a van engine on steroids. The Yanks are just weird, why else do you think 350 Chev's are still wildly popular over there, 40 years after they were introduced?

Again, I'm going to agree. The 1G has masses more technology, and a better build (with SOME performance in mind) from the factory. So if you want more power, easier, it's the way to go. If you just want to bolt some boost on and lay some skids...hehehe. I'm thinking you could do the SC14 install for under $500, and you can't go past that for bang-for-your-buck. After that, just get a good motor...but there's something to be said for doing something different too. I'm facing the same dialemma at the moment with a friends RA60. He's keen on the 22R, for the sake of ease, legality and keeping in the old-school fashion. You could have a lot of fun...and the motor is actually oversquare (or am I mixed up again) at 91mm bore and 89mm stroke...so it COULD rev....Anyone know how far you can take it if you can convince the thing to stay together?

RM.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

oversquare = i cant remember

if you can do a RELIABLE 22r + sc14 package for $500, then id call myself Helen.

the question im most interested in knowing is... how the hell you getting the extra fuel? stock injectors arent very big...

mullet your right on the oversquare bit. the regular pistons are dished, so im going to see if i can get a set of flat tops(ill be rebuilding and whacking a 22Re into my RA40 for the sake of towing torque) so i can get some more torque. Ill also be doing some portwork, valve springs i dare say, and maybe a cam. Ill keep everyone up to date on what i do with the bugger, and how much performance i get out of it. Might also look into larger injectors, SC14 and re-calibrate the AFM so it runs boost with the stock ECU...but thats only an idea which ive freshly thought up, and may not happen, or may prove to be frivilous... ill look into it further if i get the inkling.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Haha...I was thinking serious ghetto rig. Extra injectors on a pressure switch...I'd be interested to see how much power you get out (as would everyone here I think) Some serious balancing and lightening and it should rev OK too....

RM.

viper,
    oversquare = more revs (oversquare is where the bore is a larger diameter than the lenght of the stroke, undersquare is the other way) so get ya facts b4 you post. opinions you are entitled to whether anyone agrees or not, but facts you must make sure your right.

stock injectors are the same fitting as supra injectors (cant remember if its JZ or M motors) so you can get bigger injectors which bolt in. SC14's can be picked up for about $100 if you know where to look, and FMIC's of the small kind are almost given away when ppl 'upgrade'. The rest of the stuff... if you can manufacture youself, can be performed quite cheaply. So yeah, $500 is realistic, if you dont have to pull the motor down (a recent stock motor will handle an SC14 without qualms)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen