Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others FRONT AND REAR Brake Upgrade

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: xA6x, xZ1x, xX7x + others FRONT AND REAR Brake Upgrade

If you go from no pedal, to full pedal, almost anything will lock up.
    If you go from no pedal, to a little pedal, then over 2 or 3 seconds go to full pedal, you will probably not lock up.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Lemme rephrase, other than trying to lock up by being an idiot, my car won't lock the fronts till the pads have warmed up
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7MA61
    Thats assuming you have the perfect driver behind the wheel, old abs systems will modulate braking forces 8 times per second current ones are up to about 32 times per second, I ain't seeing no human foot doing that.

At my advanced driver training day there was a couple VS commodores some with and some without abs, for average Joe ABS is a very good thing .
    for Joe B ys.. but when the 32/sec ABS kicks in, you can feel the braking backing off.... and it happens over bumps and potholes too
    with ABS, you can still brak as hard as normal braking.. as long as you don't trigger it
    once you do trigger it, then you would have had a lockup normally anyway... but the difference is you have to back off to turn the ABS off.

braking is all about tyres anyway.. your braks just slow the tyres... but it's good to have big arsed brakes to do that with

good to see the results and looking forward to bedded in distances as well ...... hmm... i'll see if i can find a place i can do a 110 stop to compare ABS...
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Viper's Avatar

Haha, finding a place is easy, but getting gear to accuratly measure the stop will be fun. Either have 3 options. V-Box, Corevit or 5th Wheel.
    First 2 option cost $30,000 each.

Then again, the old take a stab at the distance option

Oh, and btw, for the stopping distances quoted for cars, they do a spike ABS apply, which involves pulling the seat forward, pulling your put up from the pedal about 20cm or so and then will some massive force jamming your foot, or feet, onto the ankers. Obviously its crucial for ABS to get MAX pressure in the lines asap in order to get the best stop.

Good luck
    Daily: '06 Liberty 3.0R specB
    Project Car : '84 MA61: 2JZ-GTE + 6 Speed

The latest G-tech's should do the job.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

tired of projects Domestic Engineer

Cheers Cruzida! got my z32 brakes for the front. will run them with upgraded pads and fluid, probably slotted rotors as well. probably just slotted ma61 brakes at the rear with upgraded pads as well. thanks for the awesome write up

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

I'm at a turning point in brake life - my rear brake pads have worn out and I have to either find some pads that work with my rear calipers (PROBABLY different from the ADM *A6* calipers...) or upgrade

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

cruz i am pretty sure you played with this before, but i have a few things i found out on the weekend and thought i would write it down in case it hasn't been written anywhere.
    I finally got a hold of a used BA falcon rotor for testing.
    WITHOUT MACHINING the ms65 hub in any way (although it will still possibly need it), the hub itself appears to locate inside the ba falcon rotor beautifully and did not appear to be loose at all.
    It doesn't spigot on the centre oh the hub, it spigots on the outside edge of the hub.
    This i assume should still be ok after having a convo with engineer regarding ms65 hubs+r33 rotors and he recommended machining the hub outside edge down to match the inner edge of the rotor ands not worrying about a locating ring for the centre hole.

SO with a bit of a play i had (i think) an RA60 strut, an ms 65 hub and a BA falcon Rotor, finally the r33 caliper bolted on to the whole arrangement by just using a 2mm washer to space the caliper out slightly from the mounts.
    all seemed to rotate freely (the brake pad indicator wear tangs might need a bit of bench grinding action and there is a slight raised section on the underside of the ba falcon rotor which would either need to be accomodated for on the hub or the rotor) but it all looks good. clearances are close ie the 298 mm rotor for the ba falco doesn't leave much to play with between the edge of that and the caliper itself, and i don't know how a 28mm rotor goes with a caliper designed for a 30mm rotor, but does anyone see any issues anywhere here?
    i could also get a blank rotor easily for a ba falcon to matche the centre bore for the ms65 hub as well i guess.
    i am sure i read this setup has been done before (at least to an ms85 crown and i am pretty sure an xa6x setup probably even in this thread) so i don't think this is new territory, but before i go and buy some ba rotors i thought i might ask thoughts.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra
    I'm at a turning point in brake life - my rear brake pads have worn out and I have to either find some pads that work with my rear calipers (PROBABLY different from the ADM *A6* calipers...) or upgrade
    Meh, MA61 rear brakes FTW! I just put decent pads in
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Quote Originally Posted by barned01
    WITHOUT MACHINING the ms65 hub in any way (although it will still possibly need it), the hub itself appears to locate inside the ba falcon rotor beautifully and did not appear to be loose at all.
    It doesn't spigot on the centre oh the hub, it spigots on the outside edge of the hub.
    This i assume should still be ok after having a convo with engineer regarding ms65 hubs+r33 rotors and he recommended machining the hub outside edge down to match the inner edge of the rotor ands not worrying about a locating ring for the centre hole.
    I'd be very very worried if an engineer passed this off.

You'll find the Ford BA discs, the DBA BA discs, and the RDA BA discs all vary (even if by a mm or so) in that dimension.

Discs are designed to be centred by the centre of the hub (in both floating and rear mount setups)

Bigworm actually has the BA/R33 setup on his MX73.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

man i really feel my engineers visit is prooving to be more and more hassle.
    first he doesn't like the idea of milling the centre spigot down to allow a spacer ring to be put on it to match up a r33 rotor to the 68mm centre hole diameter. then he said to spigot the rotor on the outer edge of the hub to match to the rotor (as he said the inside of the rotor is machined to the diameter it is anyway). i don't think it has been the best 100 bucks i have spent so far . i don't understand why so many engineers could have such wildly differing opinions on the same things.

I wasn't sure if the inside of the rotor would be the same over different models/batches but i was quietly optimistic.
    nevertheless though, i suppose a blank disc would solve the centre hole problem as i could just get a blank ba rotor and have the centre hole made to match the ms65's 67mm hole i guess. yes?
    are there any known issues with using a washer to space the caliper out slightly, i could ask my engineer, but i don't want to part with another 100 bucks again for virtually naught.

Can't you find another engineer?

If I have a quick 5-10 minute question for mine, he doesn't charge anything.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

havn't read all of thread so i may go over old ground.
    skylines dont run an external bias valve.
    DO NOT run sumitomo style pads on R33 GTR discs as when driven hard they WILL CRACK, the brembos pad anulus is 60mm the sumitomos is 50mm.(use a cutdown jag aston pad instead it fits in a sumitomo caliper with slight mod).
    always locate disc at hub centre as the disc expands when its hot.
    has anyone tried a jza80 rear disc as ive been told they have the right measurements for the hand brake and calipers (just caliper brakets reqd)
    the rear calipers have two pistons instead of one so you double surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida
    Can't you find another engineer?

If I have a quick 5-10 minute question for mine, he doesn't charge anything.
    might have to
    there is only 2 listed engineers in SA (i am basing this on the street machine website) which means they can charge what they want, (they are both around the wayville area for those in SA reading this)
    the one i am going to is the same one as MWP's i believe. I figure this is easier as we are pretty much doing the same engine conversion (albeit one is an ra28, the other is an RA40), so i thought it would mean less paperwork and time for both of us come engine approval and car registration time. Maybe my idea isn't so good afterall

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner
    has anyone tried a jza80 rear disc as ive been told they have the right measurements for the hand brake and calipers (just caliper brakets reqd)
    the rear calipers have two pistons instead of one so you double surface area.
    Ed was planning on using the JZZ30 rear disc, which I assume has the same handbrake as the JZA80 disc. But he was using the MA61 rear disc with the disc surface machined off, ie, just using it as a handbrake drum inside the JZZ30 disc.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS