Thread: 3T-GTE with Haltech E6X Ignition Question

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 3T-GTE with Haltech E6X Ignition Question

All,

I have a question regarding what coils/igniter setup I can use to produce reliable results for my 3T-GTE with least expense.

I will be running wasted spark setup so require either 4 X dual post coils with built in igniters, or either purchase 4 X dual post (Dumb) ignition coils also a 2 x channel igniter to fire the coils.

Haltech sell dual post (dumb) ignition coils for $60 each + an additional $160 for the igniter, it adds up really quick when your working to a budget which brings me to the next question.....

Can anyone suggest a dual post coil with built in igniter that can be used with the E6X, or a possibly some info on a production vehicles equivalent that will be cost effective and do the jobby?

Your help is appreciated.

Rob

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: 3T-GTE with Haltech E6X Ignition Question

i'd suggest a bunch (4) of identical toyota igniters from the wreckers (they're pocket-sized too!) running a pile of haltech or M&W or ex-7MGTE or ex-4AGZE or ex-1GGZE ciol packs or external igniters off old mitsubishis

Microtech sell a 4-channel igniter: http://www.microtechefi.com/microtec...p?product_id=7

wholesaler of ignition modules (found on msextra.com): http://www.nardek.com.au/ignitionmodules.htm

and PM wilbo666 about coilpacks

is rare to find a waste-spark coilpack with built-in igniter, usually it's a CoP item

the commodore V6 triple-packs have some clever coil-selection hardware as well as smart igniters.

cheers,
    Charles.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Cheers for that.

Well the microtech igniter doesn't sound much different then the Haltech unit (especially as far as price is concerned) however I am not sure about compatibilty, so would prolly end up going down the path of Haltech to keep uniform.

Next step is purchasing coils.... Can I pull any type of dual post coils of any car manufacturer such as my fiance's Kia etc or is it recommended that I get any of the above as you suggested.. I heard some ppl saying there all bosch items anyway and its not that important what car there off.

I might be looking into things a little too much.

Rob

I would like to be a Backyard Mechanic 3t-RA40's Avatar

NAJJE,
    I did reply to your pm, didn't I?
    Anyway my setup is with dual post coils, 4 off, and 2 - 2 channel igniters.
    Also using hall effect sensor with 4 rare earth magnets, and using the dizzy as a trigger for sequential injection.

shot of the trigger, haltech hall effect sensor and rare earth magnets

Check out this thread where it was discussed a little while ago http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...t=21218&page=2
    Cheers,
    Neil.
    Last edited by 3t-RA40; 07-06-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    RA40 3t-gte. Haltech fitted.
    Power - 229hp at 17psi
    Toyota Nationals 2013, Easter Long Weekend, Dubbo, NSW

http://www.toyota-nationals.org.au/

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ONCE-NA's Avatar

Or I'm using coils off a landrover Discovery
    they are 2 separate units both with 4 outputs each, but are basicly each 2 twin output coils stuck togeather. So each unit (you use both) has 1x 12vdc input and 2 earths that are triggered by the ignitors allowing you to run sequential, (or wasted spark) on the 3T-gte. I used magna ignitors which are small and free from pinch-a-part the coils cost me $100 (from a 2002 discovery V8)

Thanks for the info Guys...

Might just end up going to wreckers and trying to find anything suitible as far as coil packs are concerned, main thought is getting something compact so it looks neat.
    Thanks for suggesting the Magna Igniter, sounds small enough if you can fit in your pocket!! From memory are these 2 channel so need 2 X igniters?

Rob

I would like to be a Backyard Mechanic 3t-RA40's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAJJE
    Thanks for the info Guys...

Might just end up going to wreckers and trying to find anything suitible as far as coil packs are concerned, main thought is getting something compact so it looks neat.
    Thanks for suggesting the Magna Igniter, sounds small enough if you can fit in your pocket!! From memory are these 2 channel so need 2 X igniters?

Rob
    Just remember that some stuff from wreckers is an unknown quantity.
    You've spent the money on a quality computer, if the budget can stretch buy all new stuff. The little extra it costs is well worth it, in my opinion.
    I'll also get some photos over the weekend of the inside of the dizzy for you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.
    RA40 3t-gte. Haltech fitted.
    Power - 229hp at 17psi
    Toyota Nationals 2013, Easter Long Weekend, Dubbo, NSW

http://www.toyota-nationals.org.au/

The magna ignitors are single channel, (3 pins, 1 earth, 1 to coil neg and the other to ignition output from the ecu) They work just like a mosfet, I don't think they have built in dwell or anything. So for wasted spark you only need 2, 4 for sequential. I'm running wasted but with 4 because I'm not sure of their current handling ability and I only have a crank angle sensor (Need cam position sensor for sequential). Get a bit of heat-sink paste on the back and screw them to some alluminium or a proper heatsink.
    I'll find a pic for you

Yeah the ignitors are small! You could put a few in a rubber johnny and smuggle them outa pickies, customs style!

The coils are however big, but I suppose smaller than 4 dual-output ones

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

FWIW, i have an IGBTs driving coil (soon to be 3 IGBTs driving 3 coilpacks) - it's a simple chip that's designed for automotive use.

12V to coil, coil to IGBT, EGBT to ground, seperate trace from ECU to IGBT via a 330 ohm resistor.

The megasquirt crowd use VB921 (3-pin item, looks like a FET) - but they're hard to get in Australia

There's a fairchild unit that Wilbo once found with clever googling.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge