Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Water injection

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default DIY Water injection

can our EFI fuel pump, fuel injector and fuel regulator works with water? i need to sort out my turbo engine as the inlet air temperature is very hot now and i m running out of space for a intercooler.
    my plan is run a external system, which is similar with EFI system, one pump, injectors and a pressure regulator. have a external water reservior that feeds the pump. activate the injectors at certain boost level using auxilary output from my ECU.
    any one can point some ways for me?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cptsideways's Avatar

Default Re: DIY Water injection

Use a Hobbs switch, a pressure sensitive switch, dirt cheap!!

Used to run a system just as you describe on a Mazda 323 worked very well, lowered intake temps by 20-30 degs using twin nozzles pre & post intercooler. Also you can use E85 fuel for excellent results
    Sliding his D1 Soarer around the UK

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

so it will theoritically and practically works isn't it? are you using fuel injector as nozzle or use any other thing as nozzle?

GT4 Freak, and Conversion King Squid's Avatar

I was thinking of doing this with my cold start injector... I think it may be better to buy a proper kit and do it that way... I have heard stories of fuel injectors rusting... and if your tune is set up to run with WI, then the effects of not running it could be catastrophic...

JustenGT8 has had some experience with WI systems on his old 3s setup.
    ST185 GrpA #116
    ST165 GT4 Project Car - Soon with v6 goodness.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full, rather the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Definitely can't use fuel pump/regulator/injectors with water, they'll seize fairly quickly. I once constructed a mega water squirter out of an old Supra fuel pump, was awesome for annoying people on the freeway but only lasted a few hours.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

The expensive (tho reliable) way of doing water injection: http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/cp.html
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

There are a few DIY articles on how to do this here:
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/search/...ection&x=0&y=0

Also google covers it quite a bit.

Ivan

Junior Member Grease Monkey cycleofabuse's Avatar

I had water injection in my 3sgte temporarily. I bought a kit from coolingmist.com I think it was. Cost about $250. I put it in myself which I was rather impressed with, but the thing that let it down was the hoses, which kept cracking and leaking. Otherwise it was cool.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHB
    can our EFI fuel pump, fuel injector and fuel regulator works with water? i need to sort out my turbo engine as the inlet air temperature is very hot now and i m running out of space for a intercooler.
    my plan is run a external system, which is similar with EFI system, one pump, injectors and a pressure regulator. have a external water reservior that feeds the pump. activate the injectors at certain boost level using auxilary output from my ECU.
    any one can point some ways for me?
    I was running a similar setup on my mr2 for a while.

I used a surflo pump and an ebay FPR to run the rail at 8 bar (to get a nice mist) and a Jaycar digital pulse adjuster to run the injector. To stop the injector rusting, I ran a little radiator corrosion inhibiter in the water (you can also use soluble oil). It seemed to work fine and worked for about 6 months before I pulled the car apart.
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Default Fuzzy DIY Water injection!

I once put together a convoluted system only because a few years ago I didn't know where to source a high pressure water pump. I
    used a $10 air compressor and an aluminium bottle (mostly contains water). The bottle pressure was regulated to about 80- 100psi using an adjustable pressure switch. A second pressure (intake manifold) switch operated a water solenoid (stainless internals) and I used 'outdoor cooling' misting nozzles. I injected before the throttle. This system slaughtered the engine torque output though. However, on the same car I used another system with a coarse garden sparying nozzle and two windscreen pumps in series which gave 60psi pre-nozzle pressure. This system increased SOTP torque across the rev range
    Both system noticibly made the engine smoother and changed its note to a slightly softer note. With system on at idle exhaust becomes steamy!

Fuzzy thoughts::
    *Maybe the system that increased power, just stopped the knock sensor going off and in addition maybe the coarser spray did not evaporate and displace air like the fine mist?
    *Don't inject before the heat adder (supercharger) when using a fine spray since it will evaporate increasing post supercharger pressures making the engine work harder for no more air - have confirmed a 2psi manifold pressure increase with fine pre-super-charger injected mist on (when running 15psi boost) and using a 0.4mm aquamist nozzle...
    Last edited by nick.parker; 29-05-2007 at 01:10 PM.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

All sounds good, though my train of thought was to have a sprayer spray water onto the outside of the intercooler. Seeing as this is one of the most effective natural cooling methods available, and works on the same principle as things like sweat and evaporative coolers, I figured it couldnt hurt to try?? Also no chance of corroding engine internals.

Thoughts anyone?? My system will be running a topmount A/A IC with a f/glass duct taking cool air from above the radiator (heatsheilded of course), ducting below the intercooler, and forcing the air through an opening in the bonnet (circa EVO). I was also thinking of having a small thermofan (motorbike maybe) under the IC for idling/burnouts.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

User Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    All sounds good, though my train of thought was to have a sprayer spray water onto the outside of the intercooler. Seeing as this is one of the most effective natural cooling methods available, and works on the same principle as things like sweat and evaporative coolers, I figured it couldnt hurt to try?? Also no chance of corroding engine internals.
    injecting water into an engine absorbs heat as the water vapourises and raises the detonation threshold

Quote Originally Posted by nick.parker
    *Don't inject before the heat adder (supercharger) when using a fine spray since it will evaporate increasing post supercharger pressures making the engine work harder for no more air - have confirmed a 2psi manifold pressure increase with fine pre-super-charger injected mist on (when running 15psi boost) and using a 0.4mm aquamist nozzle...

i would tend to think injecting before a supercharger would help to seal the rotors and lubricate etc. hence increasing efficiency.

this was what i planned on doing anyway.
    hello

Brett... what are the rotors made of?? Anything other than distilled water will promote wear and destroy seals rather than lubricating. Corrosion is also an issue for long term use (though the coolant idea might fix that)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

User Conversion King

most are alloy housing and teflon coated rotors

the amount you inject is very minimal. approx 10% of the fuel injectors rate
    hello

Still a corrosion creater.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen