Thread: 2TG head/ 18R block

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice quikestsilva's Avatar

Post 2TG head/ 18R block

Hey, i have a 2tg in which i just got the head shaved, new valves n cleaned up, i was goin to do the 2TG head and 3tc block but have decided that it would be to hard for myself to do with the cam being in the block and turning it around for oil pressure and all, so i went with the block that it originally came with wen i brought it and took a piston into bursons to get a set of rings and the bloke came back and told me they were from a 18R... i dont really no much bout the 18r's jst there a 2 litre, got ur sohc or double etc. i dnt actually have the engine at my house atm as its at my gf's n i dnt wanna go there atm 2 have a look to see whats numbers are stamped in the block, i was thinking is it common to use a 2TG head and 18R block or does the 2t block have 18r pistons which i dnt go much on that idea. Oh the head was bolted onto the block wen i go it and had compression/ turned over good, if that makes any difference
    wat do u guys think of this? is this crazy? has it been done? any info is much appreciated, cheers

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG head/ 18R block

to the best of my (and my partners) knowledge, there is little or nothing in common with a 3T or 18R... (for the record, she's running a 2t/3t hybrid, i'm running 18RG) the 3T has a single camshaft in the block, apparantly turning it around is no big deal. the 18R series has a single over head cam, ie nothing in the block. only thing i can suggest is that the 2TG you have is acctually an 18RG, i can't think of anything off the top of my head, have a look at the casting numbers on the front of the head if it's 18R the numbers will be something like 1111-882xx... (the xx will differ, might be 88231,88250, etc)

in my opion, 2TG head on 18R block is crazy and hasn't been done
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

the numbers printed on the head are 11111 - 88222

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Sounds like it's a 2TG head.The 18RG doesn't run that series of numbers.If you do a search on the forums there is heaps of info on the 2TG.
    It sounds like the guys or girls at Bursons have no idea.
    I cant see that 18R rings will be the same as the two engines are totally different in bore size unless its been bored to the max but I cant see that either.
    Cheers Brett.

thanx guys, i doubt that it has been bored out to fit the 18r pistons either, my only option is to suck up to my gf so i can go to her house and read the engine numbers, i have the parts that i need except for a bottom end gasket kit and new timing chains which i can take to gorringes and get the exact chains made think there round $75

Junior Member Grease Monkey MitchE's Avatar

18R pistons fit into a 2/3T block they are a larger bore which would make it a larger compacity than standard this also means it isnt a 2/3 TG hybrid

i had a chance to look at the block today and its defently a 2T block, so maybe it has 18R pistons as Mitche has stated, wats ur thoughts on how it would go? im puting it into a T18/te72 with t50 5speed box and standard diff, didnt really get any work done on the head still has standard cams, just got the head shaved and got extractors which will run 2 1/2inch system after i get it in, and the 40mm solexs. thanks 4 ur help once again

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

Mate why didnt you use the 3T block?
    the conversion is really not hard and all you need to do is turn the bearing shells in the old cam holes
    deffently not a 2TG head on 18R block.

I wouldnt trust the guy at the counter of busons, get a micrometer onto the piston or if you have a ID mic throw that down the bore,

Junior Member Grease Monkey MitchE's Avatar

18 R Pistons fit 2T Conrods and they take your bore out to 88.5mm
    this would be the most likely scenario im not 100% sure what your engine compacity or CR would be though