Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toymods applying to the RTA for Historic Plates

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Toymods applying to the RTA for Historic Plates

so that requires a network of toymods workshops that you can ring up when you are headin gin their general direction?

seriously tho, it looks like agreat option for keeping car running and in ownership,

as for "standard" are any mods allowed? as in safety mods (removing positive camber), or emission mods (fuel injection on near standard motor)... as long as it is within the "spirit of standard" as opposed to "performance modified" ? or. "period mods"??
    is there tech info about it anywheres? (no rush for me tho )

"toymods historics show n shine".. ahhh i can see it now
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Roscos
    You forgot to use the word MAINTENCE
    What word is that? I prefer the word MAINTENANCE myself.

Yes, we are looking at MAINTENANCE runs and will be drilling down on how the cars can be used, within the spirit of what the RTA requires.

The RTA specifies that mods that relate to safety are allowed. However, I don't think this means a set of 10inch wide tyres and air-bag suspension on Josh's old Crown is allowed.

Period mods, that were done/produced-by by the manufacturer are allowed.

Ultimately, there will be a discussion by the Board to discuss and formulate the rules for Toymods Historic Vehicles, and, until this is done, nothing is set in concrete yet.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

I didn't say l could spell but that another issue.

As far as l know an unregistered car to get historic plates, all you need is a Road Worthy, as for changing across from normal rego, the RTA might give you a refund but don't hold your breath.

As for "drilling down on how cars can be used", that could be more trouble than its worth because everyone thinks they know what they are doing and alot of people will not be told

Mod to cars differ from state to state but as long as it passes a road worthy, just look at the hot rods that floating about, theres plenty of them.

Roscos

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

The rules for Victoria and NSW are completely different. There is seperate hotrod and historic rego in NSW.

For Historic rego in NSW it says hte only modifications allowed are safety and period accessories. Whereas Glenn's RA45 race car was on Victorian club rego when he had that up here for Dyno day.

As to "alot of people will not be told", said people will not be registerred on Toymods historic rego program either. There is no reason to allow one person who doesn't want to follow hte rules to screw it up for everyone.

advocate for the oldies Carport Converter ian's Avatar

hi
    my ra 23 track car is on club plates
    its $100 per year
    i find that being on club plates quite useful , [EG] today i took it for a run to make sure all was ok before the calder sprints this sunday
    if i wasnt able to do this, i would not have found out that my front wheel bearing was loose
    so in my mind, $100 per year certainly worked out cheaper than spending $140 entry fee for the sprints , and being sidelined with a fubared wheel bearing
    ian
    nostalgia is not what it used to be:

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Roscos

Mod to cars differ from state to state but as long as it passes a road worthy, just look at the hot rods that floating about, theres plenty of them.

Roscos
    hotrods have a seperate 'club permit' in victoria because they are so highly modified from the original car.

it is the SR series plates for Street Rod

corollamanic Backyard Mechanic

edit. . . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by AAAAGZE; 16-05-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: edit

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Just Subscribing to the thread really as my MS75 wil be going on Historic Rego.

Just to reinforce that the NSW regs are ALLOT different to other states. NSW Historic rego is for STOCK vehicles, There is some talk of a rego class for Historic Modifieds but I wouldn't bother holding your breath or waiting for it. Chances are it will never happen. Its not all doom and gloom tho, If you have or always wanted a stock old school Toyota, its now just become a financially viable option. And with a Toymods meeting and a Toymods event every month you have at least 2 times a month you could take it for a run. And if you have an event run by another club you want to attend in it all you need to do is get the club hosting the event to send an official invitation to Toymods and the registrar can approve you attending Combine that with the occasional maintenace run and you could easily be driving your historic rego'd vehicle every other week.

Toymods will be enforcing the RTA's guidelines for Historic Rego, If Modified Historics ever happens we want to be a big part of it so will be staying friendly with the RTA.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Hi,

Here ye.... here ye......

There will be a special general meeting at the next Toymods scheduled meeting (Monday the 16th of June).

This meeting will be to present, and vote, upon the changes to the Toymods Constitution regarding the inclusion of Historic Vehicles.

I urge all financial members to make a point of attending, as this is your club and we want you to be involved and have a say in what we are proposing. And, this is important shit too, as it adds a whole new dimension to Toymods and what it can deliver to its members.

Oh, for those that have a historic Toyota and are not members..... the lovely Kirsty will be accepting membership forms that evening, 'cos you need to be a financial member if you are thinking of getting historic plates on your car.

Well, I've said my bit. So please turn up. Don't make me send Linden around for a robust conversation!

seeyuzz
    river

I'll think of something.. Backyard Mechanic -NiCkeL-'s Avatar

Well done guys!

As said before, the rules between VIC and NSW appear to be different... so tread with caution there.

Good initiative though - well done
    Classic Celica Club of Victoria - http://cccvic.cjb.net

http://www.classiccelicas.com.au - The place to go for all things Classic Celica...

Low Down Style Domestic Engineer Johnzoku's Avatar

sorry on my lateness but this is a great thing you've organised for the club!

ive read through the QLD historic plate rules and apart from the cars i own not being 30+ years (27 years so not far off ) the only thing stoping me would be an approate enough club to join and i couldnt think of a better one to be apart of.

this might be a dull question but just to make clear, this is a nationally recognised plate for use in all states?

Hi,

No. Unfortunately it is only for NSW.

I think the ACT may be included, as it uses the NSW regulations.... but I need to check on this.

seeyuzz
    river

It's a nationally recognised plate just like any other NSW rego plate is but it's only for NSW residents like a normal NSW plate. If all goes well we can look into whether other states are happy to allow us to issue plates for their state when we're not incorporated there. One of the reasons why we have started only with NSW is that we are required to have at least 5 cars registerred under the historic rego in the first year and our highest membership density is in NSW.

I believe the QLD Celica club can do historic plates for QLD ask Chuckster maybe.

......................... Carport Converter

Just to bring this up again as i am considering putting my ke26 on historic plates.
    Is there a drawn up page stating what is and what isn't allowed for modifications to a classic car?
    My ke26 is pretty much standard, except for it being lowered and a 4k in it which replaced the burnt out 3k. Would like to know if these mods are going to affect my application for historic plates?
    Cheers
    Mic

The basic gist of things is no modifications except for safety. Replaceing a 3K with a 4K is something we'd have to look at based on the originality of the rest of the car.

There will be a page for info on this but for now it's probably easiest to PM River or myself with a rundown of the car and anything that has been changed from stock and we'll go from there.