Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 17" wheels too big?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: 17" wheels too big?

Mooro, the speedo being out is an engineering issue more than anything, there is a certain percentage you can change your rolling diameter and pass an engineering inspection... and if your speedo is out, your car is unroadworthy and can be defected.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Carport Converter Mooro's Avatar

True, but I would have thought going 2"+ bigger in wheel diameter would be more of an engineering issue than the change in overall rolling diameter. I think technically anything more than 1" or maybe it was 2" requires engineering certification.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 011's Avatar

I personally think wheels are something you can allocate a generous budget to. Wheels will make or break the look of your car, and their width will stipulate how wide a tyre you can use (ie, governing how much grip your car will have, thus how well it will handle, brake and accelerate). They will also affect your unsprung weight, which is far more valuable to shed than sprung weight in terms of outright kilograms.

Having said that, I do regard spending $5000 on a set of wheels as perfect insanity. My limit, when I bought my wheels, was $2000 - I got a bargain, though...
    Latest news on my adub!
    > august 15 New brakes the next thing. Otherwise, it's quick, shiny and reliable. Enjoying every drive. =D And my car's becoming a bit of a celebrity!

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Callum, is that the same Trademe.co.nz that had the dolphin for sale??

Cheers, Owen

PS
    Why yes it is. Been a lot of good stuff sold on there including -
    A handbag an All Black hit someone with
    The North Island of New Zealand
    A human arm (may have been leg, can't remember)
    But is also useful for car parts as well.

Callum

Mooro, the current ruling is rolling diameter. Old ruling was you couldnt go more than 2" larger than OEM size on the rim.

Also agree on the generous budget. Really though, at $450 a rim, theres $1800 if your only getting 4, then theres $200 or so a tyre.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

OK...I stand corrected

Just had a look at NCOP... overall diameter must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller. Also other things to consider if engineering requirements are a concern, tyres not more than 30% wider than originals allowed.

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

pm me if you want the details Attached Images File Type: jpg VolkRacing1lores.jpg (33.3 KB, 7 views)
    Arrggghhh I hate Tri-Spokes
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Quote Originally Posted by Mooro
    Also other things to consider if engineering requirements are a concern, tyres not more than 30% wider than originals allowed.
    Hmm... just chucked those figures through the calculator... Im set. I dont want to go wider than 215s anyways, and 225s are still within the 30% extra limit if you have 175s OEM. 235s are fine if you originally had 185s.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

buddy club p1 II+.... end of story... light weight, perfect fitment in 15x7... and cost next to nothing for a good quality wheel.. ~250 a pop mark.

either that or the TE37 in 15x7 can be had for about the $350 a pop mark.

regardless there would be no way id be putting 17" wheels on.. the only thing 17's have is a nice selction of tyres. but realistically in 205/50/15 there are more then adequate selection of tyres. both in street and track flavour.

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Buddy club p1 II+.... end of story... light weight, perfect fitment in 15x7... and cost next to nothing for a good quality wheel.. ~250 a pop mark.
    I thought anything Buddy Club was quite expensive. Where have you seen that wheel at that price?
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

the P1 II+ is the cast version of their P1/P1QF range. if isnt quite a light or strong as the forged items but still light ~6kg for 15". Gun_metal from these forums is running a set on his aw11.

im not sure about their resellers buy buddyclub australia are in silverwater? (check) but in sydney and the cast P1 II+ are cheap as. ive got the P1QF on my car and they are abnoxiously expensive but certainly for my next set of wheels either street or track id be buying the P1 II+ just given they are are quality wheel and pretty cheap. and look tops to boot.

edit:

http://www.buddyclub.com.au/

rrp on 15x7 +35 is $268... cheap for a good quality wheel.

your thinking more of the price of P1QF 15x7 $588!!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I had 17" rims on my aw11 when i bought it and have never liked them.
    They just dont look right on an aw11.
    The car is not lowered either which i think just adds to the shit look

I still havnt found a nice set of smaller rims for her yet so cant comment on if the larger rims affect handleing
    If you want a pic to get an idea of the size on the adubbya just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by nick.parker
    Arrggghhh I hate Tri-Spokes
    Yeh most people seem to hate tri-spokes . I personally reckon they would look good on an AW but I guess style is a personal thing. I think how a rim sits on a car is more important that the actual style of the rim when it comes to looks. With that offset I think those rims would sit quite nicely.

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

I've got 16s on my adub... 205/40r16 tyres (same rolling diameter as standard 185/60r14) aren't made by many people but Toyo make them in their Proxes 4 range for ~$150-160 a tyre, so far they feel great, and definitely grip much better then the standard size. 17s are too big IMHO.

Personally I'd try and get 15s though because there is a huge selection of tyres in 205/50r15 size including countless semi slicks.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Sorry for the off topic but has anybody ran 6 inch wide rims with a high 20 or low 30 offset successfully on an aw11?