Thread: 3S-G(T)E Gen 3 Oil Pump Question - fitting temp and pressure gauges. [with pics]

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

Default 3S-G(T)E Gen 3 Oil Pump Question - fitting temp and pressure gauges. [with pics]

Hey guys, I've had a search but have not found anything on this.

On the side of the 3SGE / GTE (they're the same as far as i can tell) Gen 3 oil pump there are a 3 plugged up channels.

I've worked out that No. 1 is connected to the outer part of the oil filter mount, and that No. 2 and 3 connect to the inner threaded part of the oil filter mount. I'm guessing they were put there to allow a factory fitted oil cooler to be attached to the engine?

(highly scientific method)

What I'd like to know is if i could connect up the senders for my oil temperature and pressure gauges to these openings? Conveniently, my oil temperature sender is a perfect fit and it shouldn't be hard to get an adaptor for the pressure sender.

Do any of you more-smarter-than-me people see a problem with doing this? Or is it all systems go?

The pressure sender is quite bulky and i may have to mount it remotely with a short piece of braided line - the fitting may fatigue and snap over time due to the vibration. I dont think it'll physically fit down there anyway. Does the pressure gauge specifically have to be connected to the outer part of the filter or does it not make a difference?

I'd hope this will work because it'll save me $60 on an oil filter sandwich plate!

Thanks guys,
    Andy.

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Default Re: 3S-G(T)E Gen 3 Oil Pump Question - fitting temp and pressure gauges. [with pics]

you just plugging up holes with sensors that were otherwise plugged by plugs.

I say, nothing wrong and a handy find.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 3S-G(T)E Gen 3 Oil Pump Question - fitting temp and pressure gauges. [with pics]

No probs doing that. Just make sure you mount the oil pressure sensor correctly. When i say that, if you are using one of those bulky pressure sensors (AutoGuage as an example) do not use a brass adapter as they will snap over time leading to a very large oil leak and quite likely oil starvation. Use a stainless adapter and if possible some braided line and mount the sensor to a bracket.

Regards,
    Ivan

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

thats fine but fit the oil temp in to the steel sump ,as that will give you a better idea of what your oil temp will be