Thread: Air strut lower mount removal - need help and suggestions please :( :(

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Air strut lower mount removal - need help and suggestions please :( :(

After replacing the rear right air strut last month, i had less than 3 weeks of joy until the rear left started leaking.
    So i got me a new air strut, decided to change the rear left tonight for ToyotaFest.

NOW... when i tried removing the rear right, the inner crush tube of the lower strut mounting bush was iron-oxided to the little stub mount.... such that i litterally TORE the rest of the strut (inluding outer metal of said lower bush) and ended up attacking the bitch with an angle grinder to get it off.....

.... of course now this one is doing the same.
    I dont want to try removing it like the last one in case i fail - cos then i have no air strut, and that is bad.

can anyone suggest an alternative method of removing this crusted up slut??

...... butt scratcher?!

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

Default Re: Air strut lower mount removal - need help and suggestions please :( :(

tried a supershit auto $20 puller thingy?

how much room is there for say a tyre lever or big bar for levering it off?

make a rig that acts like a vice when you spin a thread 2 sections expand apart?
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

ST185 GrpA #135 Automotive Encyclopaedia Toobs's Avatar

Default Re: Air strut lower mount removal - need help and suggestions please :( :(

Stick with my angle grinder technique buddy... tried and tested method!
    Or you could upgrade to my oxy acetalene option.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I say use the oxy to get the rubber burning then put it outside somewhere and close all the windows to keep the soot out. Once the rubber is burnt away the stub and the strut will no longer be connected and you can do whatever you want to the crush tube.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

well i ended up needing neither the oxy, angle grinder, nor anything else majorly destructive....

I drilled out the rubber with my cordless drill, popped the strut off leaving the crush tube and some remains of the rubber bush behind.... then my trusty vice grips took hold and managed to assist me twisting the crush tube off by hand!

Im soooo happy that i now have a 100% functional air suspension system!!
    ...... butt scratcher?!