Thread: Fuel Pump problem

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Default Fuel Pump problem

Hey guys,

The story: I've got a 4A-GTE setup that was ready for the dyno, I took it down to get tuned and after measuring the fuel pressure and flow it turned out that the stock AE92 SX fuel pump was pumping only 0.9L/min of fuel.

The car drove fine (in NA mode) and never had any issue with fuel or mixture. So the tuner said to get a new fuel pump, he set up my fuel pressure (using the Sard) and I drove home.

Going on the reccomendation of the tuner, I installed a Walbro 255 in-tank pump, I fired up the car and the pump works (I can hear it at least). The engine idles fine and grabs revs at idle fine.

When I take it for a drive at 1/4 throttle it seems to drive fine just as before. When I use 1/2 throttle however, it struggles and hesitates and really doesn't want to go once it gets to around 3000 rpm.

I touched nothing else when I installed the Walbro.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on? Could it be that it's now getting too much fuel and/or the fuel pressure has changed because the flow has changed?

I'd really like to be able to drive it down to the dyno again so that I can get it tuned for boost finally.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

Default Re: Fuel Pump problem

cant you drive it there on 1/4 throttle?

how is the pick up point in relation to the old pump? does it reach to the same place? could you have crimped a line when reinstalling the tank?

if its using too much fuel to make it run that bad youd be able to see the smoke from the tailpipe. you should be able to still drive it to the dyno though.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking the only thing that may be out of place was when I was re-installing the tank there were 2 return lines to connect back up and I was pretty sure I hooked them in the correct order, apparently it doesn't matter but I'm pretty sure I did it right.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

what? Automotive Encyclopaedia EVOSTi's Avatar

2 returns? 1 return 1 carbon canister? if thats the case it shouldnt matter if they are the same size.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

did you install the fuel pump with a relay?

read somewhere on toymods that the current draw out of a walbro is quite high.. and older corollas having thin wiring, maybe that's it?
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Turbo 4AG, just getting it setup, presumably you'd have an appropriate ECU, and you say it hasn't been tuned yet, so quite likely that it wouldn't run too good??

That's right but my point is the car was running fine before the Walbro, so what could have changed?

I've spoken to a few mates and the consensus is that the fuel volume has increased and the pressure may have increased due to the design of the reg. So the injectors are just feed more fuel now - we'll see. It limps to the dyno on Thursday arvo.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Ribfeast's Avatar

Might need to fit a fuel pressure reg to it? I'd say it is overfuelling too as said above.
    1989 Toyota Cressida GLX 1JZGTE twin turbo *SOLD*
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2847
    12.36 @ 111mph on eBay "China" CT12A steelies
    244rwkw / 328hp @ 18psi

I have one

he set up my fuel pressure (using the Sard)
    I'm almost tempted to turn down the pressure a tiny tiny bit, but I'll get a gauge on there and see what the reading is and decide if it's wise or not.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

pull off a hose after the regulator and check the flow rate into a jug something?

That's good thinking, I'd forgot about that despite doing it to check my oil flow rate lol.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

You have waaaaaay tooo much fuel running through that system. Walbro engineers usually calculate that each liter of fuel per hour can EASILY support 1.8 boosted hp. Taking that number into account and a 4AGTE power peak(is 250hp enough?) that would mean you have a fuel need of about 140 lph for that power output.

Now there can be other issues involved in your specific case.... a walbro 255 can work as long as the return line and the fuel pressure regulator can flow at, or nearly equal amount of fuel volume as the feed line can supply. If your return line or fpr CAN'T flow the volume excess pressure is built in the fuel rail and over fuelling can occur.

I'd recommend getting rid of the GSS341 Wlabro 255 in favor of the GSS279. The GSS279 Walbro pump flows a maximum of 190 lph and is NOT high pressure**

** - Walbro GSS341 is a high volume AND high pressure fuel pump. Not only can it deliver 255lph at 44 psi, but its peak pressure is over 8 BAR! The GSS279 flows fine through 4 BAR.
    Last edited by oldeskewltoy; 30-05-2007 at 07:11 AM.
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!