Thread: Cusco LSD Oil Recommendations?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia HKS_TRD's Avatar

Default Cusco LSD Oil Recommendations?

Whats the best oil to be using in a Cusco Mechanical LSD to make it as smooth as possible. Currently running Mobil Non Synthetic LSD oil with a friction modifier but its still way to rough in its action. Its a 1.5 way IIRC MZ type (I'm getting old!)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Default Re: Cusco LSD Oil Recommendations?

motul is good

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

Penrite Ten Tenths Comp Diff Oil is good stuff. I don't think you can ever get one of those diffs to be "Smooth", you'd probably be best off with a torsen if you want a smooth engaging LSD>
    Wollongong Sporting Car Club - Secretary
    Current Cars:
    2004 TW Magna VR-X AWD w/6G74 - Tow Car
    1989 AW11 MR2 w/4A-GE 20V - Track Car

Doesnt have to be dead smooth but feeling like a Detroit locker or full spool/welded diff is a little much. The suspension actually flexes if you do tight manouvering (that sounds so wrong lol) and I dont think thats friendly to the car. Redline worked wonders on the gearbox maybe they have an LSD oil that does the trick

teq Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCarS
    motul is good
    Motul 90PA

It also isn't a synthetic, Cusco does NOT recommend synthetic fluids for their LSD's. (just like kaaz/tomei/etc.)

I run a 2-way cusco RS and it's the best I've found. It still allows for REALLY good lockup without a lot of noise. I've run redline, mobil, amsoil, and valvoline synthetics and several other non-synthetic oils trying to find what works best. And so far the Motul 90PA is the best I've ever used.

Unfortunately since your running a MZ type it is going to be clunkier/more locker like in it's action. That's just the nature of the design...

Andrew

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by assassin10000
    I run a 2-way cusco RS and it's the best I've found.

Unfortunately since your running a MZ type it is going to be clunkier/more locker like in it's action. That's just the nature of the design...

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Cusco
    1. Type-RS Low initial torque type using RS springs. shown in purple above
    2. Type-MZ Initial torque created by the cone plates.

NOTE!
    Type RS for low initial torque.
    With the Type RS, the initial torque is absorbed by the RS springs therefore the initial torque comes on gently compared to the Type MZ which comes on stronger as it uses cone plates and response of the LSD is better, as the friction is lower.

*Lower initial torque *Lower power loss *Reacts well to delicate pedal work *Durable and develops initial torque steadily
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

i just got my TRD LSD installed, the gearbox guy that did it said only to use Penrite 10/10ths in it.....also gave me a bottle to use

so i guess thats a 2nd vote for 10/10ths
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Great seems I have the wrong diff. This thing is really extreme though to the point of when doing a tight turn in a car park the wheel moves back in the guard. This cant be great for my bushes and sespension arms etc. I was told that it may take 1000km or the figure 8 in the car park trick to make it smoother.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

you should do the figure 8 to break it in anyway
    can you modify the cones or get different ones to reduce the initial pre-load?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

No idea about the cones. Think I'll dothe figure8 to break it in then change the oil. The first oil in it was thrashed after 80km!!!

teq Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by HKS_TRD
    No idea about the cones. Think I'll dothe figure8 to break it in then change the oil. The first oil in it was thrashed after 80km!!!
    AFAIK your supposed to do the figure 8 break-in on these for 30 minutes then change the oil before doing any daily or 'real' driving. It should also help reduce chatter/noise by seating in the clutches so they don't slip&grip due to irregularities.

Andrew