Thread: Weird Indicator Issue: Indicator on with lights and parker indicates....

Wrong Wheel Driven Grease Monkey PooJou's Avatar

Question Weird Indicator Issue: Indicator on with lights and parker indicates....

Hey Guys,

I've got an AE92 SX with a very weird problem.

When i indicate right, the relay goes absolutely mental clicking, pretty much always on. Also for some reason, the parker light, which is not supposed to indicate, indicates. That is, if i hit the hazard lights, the parker light will happily flash away as if it were an indicator.

For those of you who don't know, the corner parker/indicator lights have two globes, only one is connected to the power, the other is connected via a dodgy piece of plastic with some circuit printed on it.

At first I thought it was the parker itself, or multiple globes had blown. But then I found another problem. When the headlights are on, the front right "bumper" indicator... stays on.... which leads me to believe a wire has been crossed somewhere.

Would anyone have any idea where? I haven't done any electrical work on the car (though I DID lose my dash lights, like all of them, no fuses blown :S)

Any comments are appreciated
    |Delta Goodrem is hot|
    |irc.oz.org #flora - full of erm...stuff |
    |Toyota Corolla RS-X|

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default Re: Weird Indicator Issue: Indicator on with lights and parker indicates....

i would suggest checking your earth wires at the globe
    does the car have a towbar?

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: Weird Indicator Issue: Indicator on with lights and parker indicates....

first problem... i'm guessing u've got a series 1, where the indicator is part of the park light assembly? then yea could be a short.. pretty sure the bulbs and wiring is different.. did you try tracing the wires to see any burnt out bits?

not sure if it helps but the last time it happened on another corolla was caused by a dodgy relay and the wiring under the steering and connected to the stalk need to be sorted..

erm... if u need any parts i'm wrecking a series 2, but yea the wiring is similar, only difference is the indicator is in bumper + guard (not in the park light)..

if u need any pics or anything let us know... i should be able to help u tomorrow morning when the sun is out or if someone else beats me to it
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Grease Monkey Adrian's Avatar

sounds interesting lol, check all cables and globes, check all relays and fusers, try and find schematics and/or wiring diagrams and have alook thru there.

Wrong Wheel Driven Grease Monkey PooJou's Avatar

Yeah, I've checked the dodgy little PCB but it happens even with the entire park unit not attached - so it's something BEFORE that bit of wiring and it's affecting -only- the front right hand side of the car. The rear right works fine.

I'll have to have a look at the relay under the stalk - that might be it, because i remember it was going intermittently a few months back. Can anyone else suggest a solution (will have to look at the car tomorrow...where is that damn haynes manual!
    |Delta Goodrem is hot|
    |irc.oz.org #flora - full of erm...stuff |
    |Toyota Corolla RS-X|

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Try probing the wires with a multimeter for continuity but go from between the parker and indicator on the right but just on the actual light assembly itself. If you get continuity between the two then theyve crossed just within the light itself - if this is the case then replace the light.

If not then pull out your hazard switch and check continuity between that and the headlight/parker.

Then finally if that still doesnt find the problem go between the light and the combo switch.

However, it might be a good idea to find out why your instrument lighting has failed - Keep in mind there is also fuses in engine bay which do your dome lighting ie stereo and a few other things maybe also your dash lights.

Best of luck
    - LeeRoy
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing