Page 9 of 392 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Sracin - the RT40 book, i want it.

SteveM,
    yeah mate, got it in one
    I call the funky chain runner / slipper / whatevers you call em; "Chain Guides", because they guide the path of the chain.

What you call the vibration dampeners, i call "tensioners" - because they set and keep the tension in the chain.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Sracin - the RT40 book, i want it.
    I know of other engine/transmission book around. And ive seen another chassis book around. I borught my rt40 set for 20 bucks.

I'll ask around,.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

This is probably a well known fact by now, but I was told by an 18RG owner here in Perth that for the upper timing chance tensioner you can use a 4M item which you need to do a slight modification to in order to make it fit.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

yes they are the same as the old generation 1 18rgs, i knew there was something i was supposed to take of that 4m i took to the dump on sat..dam it..

new information is always good I'll try to get my hands on a 4M tensioner and compare it to various 18RG ones i have, and post pics of course.

Oh, some 18R-GE wiring diagrams coming soon
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DOHC
    i'll stick with my stainless steel's thanks
    I hope that you have fitted bronze guides OR had the valves coated or 20,000km will be more than they need to become trash.

Off topic reply, but technically important.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

new information is always good I'll try to get my hands on a 4M tensioner and compare it to various 18RG ones i have, and post pics of course.
    While you're at it, see if you can find an oil pump.
    Early model M motors use the same rotor and possibly other parts as 18RGs.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YelloRolla
    I hope that you have fitted bronze guides OR had the valves coated or 20,000km will be more than they need to become trash.

Off topic reply, but technically important.

u mean because they can lock up, if so, i have had some mods done to overcome that
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Nice topic we have here.

New member to this board, like to interduce myself. I had a 77 liftback celica that went to car heaven (rusted like a bucket). But we pulled out the 18r-GU that was in there to put into a KE30 corolla (which we have done) The corolla is not registered (burnout car) and we have to do a rebuild on the engine..

What I have is a 18r-GU that was on gas. Now running Twin .45 Webber. The engine is a little tired and just need a new head gasket. I have found a company in NSW that have 18r-G head gasket and wanted to know if that will do. Is there any difference in the 18r-G and 18r-GU gasket.

Thanx for your time
    Adam

---------------------
    KE-30 Corolla
    18r-GU 88250 2lit Twin .45 Webbers

adam - yeah mate they are the same

the differences between an 18R-G, 18R-GU, 18R-GEU are things like pollution controls, piston compression ratio, carbies/EFI... that sort of thing.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

ok a few more pics....

Here we have a complete and running 18R-GEU. As per completed earlier this week

The 28....

Intake manifold part ID's

[img]
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

i picked out these p/n's myself from an online EPC that is no longer available... damn russians! i picked an RA63 carina from memory with 18rgeu.
    I put an RA23/28 manual online a while ago, includes 18RG:

http://www.se-technology.com/RTA23-8.pdf
    Projects: No project cars left ...

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

Hi all,
    after 2 years of hoarding (and ending up with 4 RG's in various states) I finally got the 18RG in my RA23.

Attachment 580
    Attachment 581
    Attachment 582

So why do I post this here? My next project will be to replace the points with electronic ignition. I have an electronic dizzy from an 18RGEU with a bent shaft, but I decided to get rid of all mechanics and go ford (sorry) EDIS.
    The hoarding part is over and the next step is to design and install the trigger wheel.
    If anyone is interested I will share the 18RG specific info through this thread (or set up a new one).

Edwin
    Last edited by RA23; 22-01-2010 at 10:25 PM.
    Projects: No project cars left ...

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I'm pleased to announce that I'm shortly going to re-join the exclusive club of working 18R-G owners. Thanks to o_man_ra23 I'm now in possession of a fresh high-comp 18R-G, which will power the Orange Eyesore while I wait for the uber-engine to be built. I got about halfway through installing the engine today, but it was hot and I gave up.

http://www.norbie.net/images/New18RG_1.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/images/New18RG_2.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/images/New18RG_3.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/images/New18RG_4.jpg
    http://www.norbie.net/images/New18RG_5.jpg

Can't wait to take it out and do some skids.