Page 95 of 392 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Ren, I think you broke the sound barrier!! Sounds nice though.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

yeh, sounded great. had to watch it lying down. pity it ran out of puff/video when you got to the truck. Would've of love to see some double shift and overtake

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Well.. Being the law abiding citizen that I am, I didn't want to speed The video was just intended to share the awesome sounds coming out of that engine! And my God, I had NO idea how loud these engines really are!! (Weber's are just something else aren't they?) I've already set off a car alarm so far without trying!
    Last edited by Ren_RG28; 22-01-2008 at 12:19 AM.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

It used to be a bit of a sport for me to set off car alarms When I was delivering pizzas for pizza slut there was a car which was parked overnight one evening, I was trying to drain the car's battery
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

HAHAHAHA Owen I play that game too, both my celicas get that right note in underground car parks, im always setting off car alarms hehehe!
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member Carport Converter Roscos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sillycar chick
    HAHAHAHA Owen I play that game too, both my celicas get that right note in underground car parks, im always setting off car alarms hehehe!

Its good fun isn't it. Use to do it years ago, good fun for the kids watch me set the alarm off and l did it every time.

Ha Ren, the motor sounds nice but it not that noisey, pity you didn't take out to the redline and give it to it on the freeway. Run around with the socks off and see how much louder it will get. Don't worry it will not hurt the motor.

Roscos

Sorry double post
    Last edited by Ren_RG28; 22-01-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Roscos,

Yeah I'm looking forward to taking it to redline on the freeway, but as I've said I've only done 1000kms so far, but once I hit over 2k it's all fun and games! Oh and the video sounds pretty quiet cos the window was up, and the mobile camera mic sucks! Believe me, it's that loud I'm almost scared to put my foot down! Haven't taken the car in an underground car park yet.. Not sure if I wan't to at the chance of getting arrested

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ren_RG28
    Done around 1000km with the worked 18R-G, and just noticed the tacho has wierd/erratic readings past 6k. I have an MSD6A unit and I don't think I have installed the "tach adaptor". Will installing one of these fix the problem? Anyone had experience with this issue?
    My tacho has always been inaccurate and inconsistent at high RPM; I think it's just a function of age. I intend to replace all the 70's gear with new gauges when I get back to my Celica project.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi all,

my old ra23 was very erratic, but i think that the biggest part of the problem was the wiring as i tried a few tachos over the years and they all did similar things. Maybe buy a cheap n nasty tacho from superthief and see what it does. That should help to determine if it's the old tacho or something else?

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

The wiring isn't going to be an issue, since it consists of a single wire from the coil to the tacho. If the tacho works at all your wiring is fine.

As mentioned above I'm 99% sure it's the cheap OEM tacho which was probably never very accurate to begin with, and has hardly improved with age.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

We've found that my brother's RA28 tacho is consistently 100RPM low, judged from a couple of different other measuring devices.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

anyone care to point me to a quick guide on re-setting the valve clearances on the ol' RG? mine have finally got too bad, can't take much more...

is it as simple as measuring the current clearances, then measuring the shims in there at present, then sitting down to figure out what shim needs to go where, and how many more i need? then fitting it all back together? or is there more to it?
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

RAd, that's about it, there's not much more to know.

If you need new shims, we got some from
    Precision shims Australia (Chris Bullen)
    ph. (03) 9723 0199
    fax. (03) 9723 2759
    [email protected]
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hey Rad,

I am about to do that as well. We should compare shim sizes ( mix and match.

Jokes aside, yeah measure the clearances and measure the shims and work out the difference.

I think Road & Track have shims there as well. Not sure of the cost, wasnt going to ring until I knew what I needed.

Dave