Page 94 of 392 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

well its not in south Australia, the person i dealt with said he checked with every other store in aus and said there were no more left. When i spoke with the guy i didn't even mention it was for a rg just a 18 r block. if you know of a dealer who has one, could you please let me know. thanks.
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Do you need a new one or would second hand be ok?

The best person to try to get a new one through would be Robin at Spare Parts - North Point Toyota in Windsor Gardens. He is an 18RG nut.

Have you tried Dave at Sleeka Spares (Pooraka) for a second hand one.
    Like o_man said, just use an 18R one if you get stuck.

If you buy a new one, chances are that it might come with a viscous coupling centre that can't be removed.
    Better to get an old housing and fan and get a new centre put in it. Sprint Auto Parts can usually supply good new centres that don't have fans attached.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

thanks steve, tried dave but he was busy and didnt get back to me. i will defiantly ring robin and north point and see what he has to say, if not second hand it is, i just wanted to exhaust the brand new avenue first.

thanks.
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

I need some assistance.

I will be wiring up an Emanage piggy back ecu, to my factory 18rgeu factory computer.
    the things I would like to find out is.
    what CC are the standard injectors (blue ones)?
    What are some easy to supply larger injector to suit GEU?

with some mods done on this motor, would any body have at starting point of parameters and maps required, to give it a chance of running, so I can make further adjustments then further mods.
    there will be fuel and airflow meter, ignition,( I believe injector cycle?)

I basically need a kick start. what will I need, as far as numbers are concerned?
    The motor is not run in yet, after its rebuild. So I will run it in first, before I attempt instalation. I believe you can plug it into your laptop and work on it without being installed first. true/ false?

I am comtemplating running in my engine using the old 22R AFM/ECU combination and then going to some other management system after that. I know that the 22R system works from the word go as people have done it before. I have an SAFC that could make temporary changes to the fuel delivery post run-in (Please don't kill me for the SAFC, I bought it ages ago and I plan to megasquirt later).

Would having stroked the engine out with a 22R crank have a negative effect on the 22R computers ability to cope with the 18RG, or would it's compatitiliby improve?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

So whats the difference between the 22r crank and the 18rg in bearing sizes?? Is it easier/cheaper, less mods to fit the 22r or is regrind the 18r crank to obtain 2.4 ltrs better option??

Cheers
    Alex
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

I wanted a longer stroke for low down torque. (Read: turbo later)

I'd be betting that you can't regrind the 18R crank to get 2.4 litres. 18R stroke is 80mm, 22R stroke is 89mm. That's 4.5mm that you have to make up there, oversize/undersize 18R bearings only go up to 1.5mm (0.060") OS/US.

Bearing diameters are the same, alignment is a little different, as is width.
    Main bearings: only the centre bearing on the 22R crank is an issue, I got it widenend.
    *EDIT* Big end bearings: 22R ones are the same. I got my 18RG rods side ground so that things lined up again, they might be slightly wider than the 22R ones from memory, but my memory doesn't often serve me well.
    Front engine seal area and front crank length are different, I just got the 22R ground down to the specs of the 18R crank in that area.

Thanks for reminding me though, I'll have to double check that the 18R bearings are going to be the right ones.
    Last edited by Steve M; 21-01-2008 at 05:43 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Omegaman, you can get 440cc injectors from american Hondas (honda Talon I believe is one). Jump on google motors, and do a worldwide search on "1G DSM Injectors), I picked mine up fully reconditioned for US$130 plus US$20 freight and I pay the extra couple of dollars to get the new injector plugs too. If I can dig up the auction, I will show you what I meant.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

O Man,
    I believe the std injecter may be 270cc would that be right?
    I've looked at some sights, the question now is low or high impedance to suit.(believe High).
    thanks, will continue search. are the injectors described, as in style,in a certain way. ie DCM injectors. what would you ask for over a counter. 440cc ??????????

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Any Nippon Denso top feed injectors will work in an 18R-G, so you could use 1G, 7M, even 13B if you want big ones. I've got a set of 800cc Sard injectors waiting to go in mine.

I believe the stock blue injectors are 210cc, same as the 22R.

Ok, thanks for the info.
    now thats sorted, the 440cc up to 270hp sound good for my application.shopping time.
    no one has any info on emanage start parameters?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I'd be surprised if anyone has wired up an emanage to anything is old as an 18R-GEU ECU, so you're probably on your own there. Will it even work with something so ancient? I've seen transistor radios that are more sophiticated than an 18R-GEU ECU.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

The injectors I bought are not available in Aus. They are a single spray item, unlike the 1G and 7M injectors that Norbie described which are multispray items. Even though the multispray ones will work, they will be very inefficient and you will get better fuel economy from carbies. You can purchase some for SARD if you want new ones, the part number is in the 18R-GTE reference manual thread. Personally I would just rebuild the engine, bump up the fuel pressure to take care of the increased capacity, run it in, then install a MS2, forget the piggyback.

If you get low impedance injectors, I have a resistor pack I can sell you that you use to get high impedance out of them. I was going to use it on my 18R-GTE till I found out the MS2 can directly actuate low impedance injectors without risk.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hi all,

Done around 1000km with the worked 18R-G, and just noticed the tacho has wierd/erratic readings past 6k. I have an MSD6A unit and I don't think I have installed the "tach adaptor". Will installing one of these fix the problem? Anyone had experience with this issue?

BTW, I've uploaded a small sound clip of the engine on youtube to give you an idea of how it sounds like.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IWKxgxTVXrs

Cheers,
    Ren.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    I'd be surprised if anyone has wired up an emanage to anything is old as an 18R-GEU ECU, so you're probably on your own there. Will it even work with something so ancient? I've seen transistor radios that are more sophiticated than an 18R-GEU ECU.
    Norbie, I know the ecu is ancient, so am I.
    though the brochure says it works with the flap air flow meter, I have an oxygen sensor and all the bits the emange needs to attach to. So maybe might work. it looks piss easy to connect, I just wanted to see if there's a guide out there to start with.

If I could get some help with a baby sitter, over the rest of the holidays, maybe I can work on the car.

O man, high imp it is. will follow up, cheers for the differences in sprays also.