Page 91 of 392 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 5875

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Hey guys,

I have started my holidays today and want to make sure I have everything I need to finish rebuilding my RG.

I've had the head, block and timing cover faced and some work done by terry at Road and Track. He put new bearings in for auxillary shaft (is that the right name?).

I also have a VRS gasket set so have all the upper gaskets etc.

What other seals / gaskets do I need?:

Crankshaft front seal for the timing cover
    Throwout bearing
    Oil pump gaskets/seals?

Part numbers would be good as well.

I did a search and couldnt find any specific on seals etc

Thanks
    Dave

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Hey... that sounds like a fun holiday

Yes, if you are talking about the shaft on the right hand side of the block that drives the dizzy, oil and fuel pump, it is the auxillary shaft

To be honest, there are quite a few more seals in the full gasket kit, but I think they can all be found in the 18R full gasket set though

Depending on the state of dissassembly, you will need:

oil filter block gasket
    sump gasket
    fuel pump gasket
    front timing cover gasket
    front main crank seal
    rear crank seal

A new throwout bearing will come with a clutch kit if you buy one of them.

If you don't wanna buy a full gasket set, go to www.gimmecarparts.com.au and search for 18R gaskets. Don't take their opinion on what suits as gospel... they're pretty innacurate, but they still have some cheap gaskets.

Have fun!

Cheers,
    Timbo
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Quote Originally Posted by timbosaurus
    Hey... that sounds like a fun holiday
    Yeah gonna be a bit hard after I dislocated my thumb last weekend changing break pads of all things.

Yes, if you are talking about the shaft on the right hand side of the block that drives the dizzy, oil and fuel pump, it is the auxillary shaft
    Stuff is still being retained in this old brain

To be honest, there are quite a few more seals in the full gasket kit, but I think they can all be found in the 18R full gasket set though

Depending on the state of dissassembly, you will need:

oil filter block gasket
    sump gasket
    fuel pump gasket
    front timing cover gasket
    front main crank seal
    rear crank seal

A new throwout bearing will come with a clutch kit if you buy one of them.

If you don't wanna buy a full gasket set, go to www.gimmecarparts.com.au and search for 18R gaskets. Don't take their opinion on what suits as gospel... they're pretty innacurate, but they still have some cheap gaskets.
    Ok cool I have a few 18R gasket sets I bought from a nice fellow on this forum.

The engine is completely stripped, I bought this one cheap with absolutely everything unboted. I'm just going through my parts list from the one I blew up to make sure I have everything.

Thank you for the extra info. I knew I would forget some.
    Now to go and source them before the shops close for xmas.

Dave

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by floppy
    Now to go and source them before the shops close for xmas.
    Dave,

If u've already got the 18RG VRS and an 18R full kit, I think you're set to go!

Just get yourself a new clutch kit (exedy heavy duty around $200) and u'll get ur new throwout bearing at the same time as a heavy duty pressure plate.

Then as long as the rings/bearings have been done and the head's been reco'd the only things that could cause you dramas are sloppy timing gear and crusty old carbs

Timbo
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

Dont forget to replace the spigot bearing for the gearbox input shaft, otherwise it will end in tears.
    There are 2 gaskets for the timing cover, 1 for the backing plate and 1 for the cover.
    Cheers
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

Dave,

If u've already got the 18RG VRS and an 18R full kit, I think you're set to go!

Just get yourself a new clutch kit (exedy heavy duty around $200) and u'll get ur new throwout bearing at the same time as a heavy duty pressure plate.

Then as long as the rings/bearings have been done and the head's been reco'd the only things that could cause you dramas are sloppy timing gear and crusty old carbs

Timbo
    Ok cool will dig through the full kits today to make sure i have everything.

New rings for the block that I got honed, had the head reco'd and the carbs were running super sweet on the last engine till it died.

So my only main worry is the timing gear which a friend is helping me with today to suss out of its too worn.

Dave

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Dave - sounds like you have it all under control. Good stuff

Hope the engine works well for you!
    ...... butt scratcher?!

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

well i got my pistons back and the 18r rings finally fit head should be back by monday as it has had to have 12 water jackets welded up

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

you will have no problems getting a bottom timing set complete with new cogs from rollmaster. I hope the top set is not too worn in the slipper and tensioner department
    Cheers
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hosking1991
    well i got my pistons back and the 18r rings finally fit head should be back by monday as it has had to have 12 water jackets welded up
    What did the pistons cost to get machined?? Also, dont forget you will need to have the valve seats ground after the welding, as the head will warp slightly from the heat. Not enough to munch it, but enough to put the valve alignment out.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    What did the pistons cost to get machined?? Also, dont forget you will need to have the valve seats ground after the welding, as the head will warp slightly from the heat. Not enough to munch it, but enough to put the valve alignment out.
    10 bucks a piston and the guy gave us a run down of whats going on with the head so its all sweet

also is there a special tool for taking 18rg valves out my spring comp wont work with the rg head

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Ill take a photo of mine for you tomorrow... basically its a matter of make your own SST
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic leso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hosking1991
    also is there a special tool for taking 18rg valves out my spring comp wont work with the rg head
    This is a pic of my home made valve spring compressor. U can have it for the price of postage, i'll make another if i need to....btw it works well....cheers leso

Last edited by leso; 05-01-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: more info