Page 66 of 392 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    would 0.5mm of lift really make much difference? Just wondering if it's worth throwing my 88250 cams into the current engine

i've got the parts to do it, but i CBF unless there is a *real* benefit to doing so.
    dont forget the extra 5 degrees of duration too

I've no idea whether u'd feel any difference. i'd guess not though.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Only one way to find out for sure Karlos... let us know how it goes eh
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Karl, I'm guessing that you're running 88251 cams, yes?

The 88251 cams are timed quite differently to all the other cams.
    They run larger an narrower phasing and larger overlap for their duration and lift.

Here's a graph showing the timing, lift and duration differences between the 88251 and 88250 camshafts.

For those who already have a copy of our camprofiles, these recent graphs aren't on your versions, I've been updating the graphs and stuff. The data hasn't changed.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

where you pulling this data from steve? where can i get a copy?
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

I am pulling this data from when home-profiled our 18RG cam collection.

If you PM me you email address I'll send through a protected version of it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Just a quick question guys what spark plugs should i be using for a 18RGEU?
    Getting conflicting gap sizes in my search off the web ( 0.8 vs 1.1)

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's 0.8 gap for the 18R-G, and it's 1.1 on the 18R-GEU...

There should be some more specs around here, I'll find them and get back to you...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

18R-C = 0.8mm, 18R-G = 0.9-1.0mm spark plug gap.

Spark plugs as per the book:
    Nippon Denso W20EXR or
    NGK BPR-6EZ (Never been able to find the EZ ones)
    We use NGK BPR-7ES to avoid issues with the engine running over, but cam timing and mixtures can tune that out a bit too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Engines with electronic ignition can run a plug with a bigger gap, typically around ~1.0mm is fine.

NGK recommendation below:
    Spark Plug Part No.
    Recommended Plug BPR5EY-11
    Iridium Option BPR5EIX-11

(These are 1.1mm as indicated by the part number)
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

excellent thanks alot guys

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Nice work Steve... I know which plugs Ill be using for my Uber-Turd 18R-C project
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Hi again,

Been doing some work cleaning up on the weekend when i came across some of these tubes which have been blocked off (err with screws in a tube...seriously...) or just left open (and please ignore that shonky pipe. Something left behind from the previous owner.

Can anyone tell me what they are and where they go to? (And wether they are important? ( ! ) )
    Car seems to run fine with it but possibly not as well as it could be...

Also the throttle cable seems to be connected like this :

Probably not the original throttle cable and bracket ? The throttle sticks and doesnt go all the way back down when it is revved because it is left at a funny angle because of this.
    Is there any where in Sydney I could source these pieces?

Thanks as always.

picture two is all about the idle-up mechanism for airconditioning. If you haven't got air con, you don't need it.
    No that is not the standard throttle cable. EFi throttle cables are generally a little thicker than bicycle brake cable.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matttai
    Hi again,

Been doing some work cleaning up on the weekend when i came across some of these tubes which have been blocked off (err with screws in a tube...seriously...) or just left open (and please ignore that shonky pipe. Something left behind from the previous owner.

Can anyone tell me what they are and where they go to? (And wether they are important? ( ! ) )
    Car seems to run fine with it but possibly not as well as it could be...

Also the throttle cable seems to be connected like this :

Probably not the original throttle cable and bracket ? The throttle sticks and doesnt go all the way back down when it is revved because it is left at a funny angle because of this.
    Is there any where in Sydney I could source these pieces?

Thanks as always.
    G'Day mate, ive checked the photos of my engine package of my 18rgeu and worked out what i can below.

The hose on the first pic, went to a temperature actuated pneumatic switch in the thermostat housing and then connects to the vacuum advance on the dizzy. (although from my photos the other hose connection is left open...so that woulda went somewhere) They are just a vacuum source so if you dont need them just leave em blocked up.

The thingee in the second pic is the idle up valve, the big hoses connect to the plenum and another one is t'eed into the aux. air valve supply (which comes from a big pipe underneath the throttle). The little hose connected to a eletric solenoid which switches vacuum to the thingee which then bypasses air to increase the idle. Not required if you dont have air conditioning.

Your throttle cable seems to have been installed incorrectly, the spring is all wrong and the cable itself doesnt look factory. I've attached a pic of the one on my engine. (Note: the bracket that the cable wraps around is a little bent in this photo...it should be on a flat plane with the cable pulling line).

Rudi
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

thanks alot for that. Clears things up alot looks like i'll be looking for a new replacement bracket then...