Page 52 of 392 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Can't help with your main question, but as far as the steering column cover goes for Ra 28.
    You can use Ra 40 cover. The difference is a small hole on the egnition side, which is for a hazzards switch, I think.

Sorry this answer was for the question a the bottom of your post. Soooo long ago.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Gunna's Avatar

Thanks mate i didnt know that... + rep...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

KE30 corolla steering column surround works a treat, I used one on my 23 for 3 years.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Thanks guys...

What sort of clutch do most of you guys use?
    Last edited by Gunna; 28-05-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

I currently have a stocker clutch but needless to say I'll be upgrading it. For a NA engine I'd get a custom high-clamp pressure plate with an organic drive plate, but for the turbo engine I'm building it will be a 5-puck sprung ceramic drive plate.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    I'm building it will be a 5-puck sprung ceramic drive plate.

yucky!! you'll get real sick of trying to drive that in traffic real fast! (if that is indeed something you'll be doing)
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

I use a centre forge clutch, nice and easy feel, pressure on the plate increases as the speed gets faster. Has been great.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    yucky!! you'll get real sick of trying to drive that in traffic real fast! (if that is indeed something you'll be doing)
    My Supra had one for several years and it was driven daily. You get used to them quickly and then you don't even think about it again.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

I'll go for a twinplate one day.... until then i'll be doing similar to Norbie.

More puks = less ghey.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

4 puck on the 1G ra28 atm .... meh you get used to it.

the shock is then driving the mrs st204 afterwards ... nearly put my feet through the floor its that soft
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

I want a twinplate for the 3SGTE... but the cost factor may play some part in me getting an 8 puck clutch.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Thanks guys... How would a stock clutch cope behind a 18RG with a bit of work? Its just a daily driver at the moment...

Cheers, Craig...

Get a sports clutch... they have a higher clamping force, and arent usually too expensive. They still use a solid friction disk instead of pucks, so are quite drivable and will take a lot more punishment.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

Any sugestions? Sorry guys i dont know much about clutches...

Cheers, Craig

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

i got an RPM clutch installed in mine before i even got the car, 'cause dana and my mate killed the clutch while thrashing the crap out of it before i got back from tassy... (and they wonder why it's never run as good since ) so far i've had no problems, engine is only mildly worked... just sounds good i think from memory it was less then $200 supplied...
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...